Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 01 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 10:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM

swltr
Goldmember
1,382 posts
Gallery: 378 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Nov 2013
Post edited 1 month ago by swltr. (2 edits in all)

Jan 20, 2021 05:08 |  #7816

Bottled jellyfish

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.steffenwalt​her-photographics.de (external link)
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
LoneRider
Goldmember
3,175 posts
Gallery: 708 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 24, 2021 10:34 |  #7817

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from LoneRider's gallery.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R5, R6, M6 Mark II, and a bunch of glass...

awacsCZE
177 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 24, 2021 12:26 |  #7818

Hello guys,

I want to ask about 100 mm Macro L lens. Do you find it capable of being a walkaround lens? I mean, landscape, street, etc in terms of sharpness, autofocus and IS? Or it is solely only for macro?

Also, being 11 years old, do you think Canon is cooking version II? I mean they only talk about RF lenses and I couldn't find any EF rumors.

Thanks for some insight! :)

marcial4
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 25, 2021 18:53 |  #7819

the version II of this lens will have RF mount. All canon's R&D money is on this mount right now. To me has been very capable for landscape and portraits, not only macro.

Marcial "Marshall" Quintero
EOS R | EF16-35/4L | EF100L Macro | EF70-300L

A Venezuelan living in Santiago de Chile

Instagram (external link) flickr (external link)

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 25, 2021 19:41 |  #7820

awacsCZE wrote in post #19185693 (external link)
Hello guys,

I want to ask about 100 mm Macro L lens. Do you find it capable of being a walkaround lens? I mean, landscape, street, etc in terms of sharpness, autofocus and IS? Or it is solely only for macro?

Also, being 11 years old, do you think Canon is cooking version II? I mean they only talk about RF lenses and I couldn't find any EF rumors.

Thanks for some insight! :)

The 100L is an excellent lens for sharpness, autofocus and IS. As a walk-around lens, though, I would personally find it too restrictive with just the 100mm focal length. I do own the 100L, but I use the EF 24-105 f/4L II as my walk-around. I'm very happy with its performance throughout the zoom range, although it's not quite as good as the 100L.

As Marcial said, the EF 100L won't be upgraded. Everything is going RF.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

awacsCZE
177 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 27, 2021 09:36 |  #7821

marcial4 wrote in post #19186222 (external link)
the version II of this lens will have RF mount. All canon's R&D money is on this mount right now. To me has been very capable for landscape and portraits, not only macro.

That kinda sucks. I didn't jump on the RF hypetrain. Shame they'll ditch DSLR...

Thank you, I will try to grab one when it's available.

awacsCZE
177 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 27, 2021 09:42 |  #7822

LJ3Jim wrote in post #19186232 (external link)
The 100L is an excellent lens for sharpness, autofocus and IS. As a walk-around lens, though, I would personally find it too restrictive with just the 100mm focal length. I do own the 100L, but I use the EF 24-105 f/4L II as my walk-around. I'm very happy with its performance throughout the zoom range, although it's not quite as good as the 100L.

As Marcial said, the EF 100L won't be upgraded. Everything is going RF.

Thank you. I want the longer one as I have 24-70 f/4, but need something around 100 mm and f/2.8 or lower. I will try to grab one if it will be available again.

Shame they are slowly ditching EF...

Shufu
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 30, 2021 01:24 |  #7823

Found this guy in the back yard today..

HOSTED PHOTO

Saipan, where we proudly put the fun in dysfunctional every chance we get!

swltr
Goldmember
1,382 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Feb 03, 2021 08:10 |  #7824

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50904892321_81df086589_h.jpg
Photo from swltr's gallery.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

swltr
Goldmember
1,382 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Feb 04, 2021 16:37 |  #7825

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from swltr's gallery.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

NebrGuy
351 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 21, 2021 11:08 |  #7826

This morning I was standing in my garage watching the snow falling. I had my 80d with 100mm on thinking I might try a snowflake or two. As I stood there watching the snow I noticed a male Downy Woodpecker drop to my suet feeder. I knew he would be gone if I tried to run inside and get a different lens so I started inching closer to see if I could get a shot that wouldn't need as much of a crop. Then I noticed another bird drop to the other side of the feeder. As the feeder started to swing around I realized that it was the female. I don't think I've ever seen both of them at the same feeder at the same time.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50965448738_a12bb9c130_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2kDD​fiq  (external link) IMG_0075-Edit.jpg (external link) by Robert (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)
- Graflex Speed Graphic w/ Zeiss 15cm, Kodak 100mm & Schneider 210mm
- Argus C3 w/ Argus 35mm, Argus 50mm, and Argus 100mm
- Yashica TL Electro X w/ Accura Diametrica 28mm, Yashinon 50mm, and Pentax Asahi 135mm
- Canon EOS Rebel G II w/EOS mounting lenses used in digital work

LoneRider
Goldmember
3,175 posts
Gallery: 708 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 21, 2021 11:18 |  #7827

NebrGuy wrote in post #19198609 (external link)
This morning I was standing in my garage watching the snow falling. I had my 80d with 100mm on thinking I might try a snowflake or two. As I stood there watching the snow I noticed a male Downy Woodpecker drop to my suet feeder. I knew he would be gone if I tried to run inside and get a different lens so I started inching closer to see if I could get a shot that wouldn't need as much of a crop. Then I noticed another bird drop to the other side of the feeder. As the feeder started to swing around I realized that it was the female. I don't think I've ever seen both of them at the same feeder at the same time.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2kDD​fiq  (external link) IMG_0075-Edit.jpg (external link) by Robert (external link), on Flickr

I like the nice high key look, I’d either clone or crop out the breaks in the snow in the lower portion of the frame for just a stark white background

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R5, R6, M6 Mark II, and a bunch of glass...

sponsored links

4,495,776 views & 7,060 likes for this thread
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.