Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 02 Oct 2009 (Friday) 08:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mixing 25P and 30P footage

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 02, 2009 08:22 |  #1

Hi folks,

Am in a dilemma here. I have my eye on a new video camera, that offers me a bit more control than my existing cameras (like stepping up from P&S to DSLR), but I have the misfortune to be stranded in a PAL section of the world. The only model of the camera available here shoots 25P and 50P/50I.

The problem is I have a Canon HF100 and 5D, which are both 30P (I got the US version of the HF100, being a follower of B&H and all that :p). Using them as B-cameras is going to cause problems. The 5D doesn't even shoot 24P, which could potentially be used with the HF100 (we'd downconvert the 25P to 24P then shoot the HF100 in 24P, and match all of them on a 24P timeline).

I am aware that mixing and matching 25P and 30P is a nightmare. What is the best way to go about solving this thorny problem? I am not limited to conversion software, since I haven't bought the camera I'm open to 'out of the box' solutions.

sponsored links
JPM ­ Photography
603 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 03, 2009 14:52 |  #2

why not just buy a camera that shoots 30P or 60P/60I or 24P from B&H in the US. It would fit right in.
is the camera you are looking at unavailable in a NTSC model?

60D gripped, T2i gripped, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Pentax SMC 50 f/1.4, Nikon Standard Speed Set: 24, 35, 85, 105, 135, 180, Canon 580ex, Calumet Genesis 200
jpmphotovideo.com (external link)
Please check out my film resume (external link) and contact me if you need a DP, AC, or PA for an Atlanta-based shoot.

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 04, 2009 00:40 |  #3

JPM Photography wrote in post #8753948 (external link)
why not just buy a camera that shoots 30P or 60P/60I or 24P from B&H in the US. It would fit right in.
is the camera you are looking at unavailable in a NTSC model?

Am actually contemplating that. The camera is available, however it's a question of whether this manufacturer (not Canon) will honor the warranty on what is technically a 'gray set'. At this point in time I think I'm prepared to take my chances with that :)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 04, 2009 00:45 |  #4

You've definately got a bit of a bind because you're staring the need for Standards Conversion squarely in the face.

Generally speaking, you'd want to do the entire project in PAL and convert to NTSC (or vice versa) rather than trying to mix two different broadcast standards into one pot.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 04, 2009 01:16 |  #5

Lightstream wrote in post #8746545 (external link)
Hi folks,

Am in a dilemma here. I have my eye on a new video camera, that offers me a bit more control than my existing cameras (like stepping up from P&S to DSLR), but I have the misfortune to be stranded in a PAL section of the world. The only model of the camera available here shoots 25P and 50P/50I.

The problem is I have a Canon HF100 and 5D, which are both 30P (I got the US version of the HF100, being a follower of B&H and all that :p). Using them as B-cameras is going to cause problems. The 5D doesn't even shoot 24P, which could potentially be used with the HF100 (we'd downconvert the 25P to 24P then shoot the HF100 in 24P, and match all of them on a 24P timeline).

I am aware that mixing and matching 25P and 30P is a nightmare. What is the best way to go about solving this thorny problem? I am not limited to conversion software, since I haven't bought the camera I'm open to 'out of the box' solutions.

You have two ways of doing it once it's shot: converting to 25 or 30 fps, or using a frameserver and hoping it works smoothly. I suggest the former, though the latter works quite well if set up properly.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 04, 2009 01:29 |  #6

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #8756447 (external link)
You've definately got a bit of a bind because you're staring the need for Standards Conversion squarely in the face.

Generally speaking, you'd want to do the entire project in PAL and convert to NTSC (or vice versa) rather than trying to mix two different broadcast standards into one pot.

basroil wrote in post #8756553 (external link)
You have two ways of doing it once it's shot: converting to 25 or 30 fps, or using a frameserver and hoping it works smoothly. I suggest the former, though the latter works quite well if set up properly.

Actually, it's the input and acquisition that's the problem. Virtually all of this output will be going to computer displays, which can handle 24, 25, 30, whatever I throw at it no problem. PAL, NTSC and interlaced format are legacies of yesteryear which should die quickly so as not to inconvenience us 100%-digital folk :p

Given that in mind, what would you recommend I acquire in? 30P or 25P?

I have an option of buying an imported camera to get my 30P and then shoot everything 30P, or buy a local camera and be forced to mix and match 25P and 30P footage with my Canons (unless there is an easy way to convert 30P to 25P or vice versa).

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 04, 2009 01:35 |  #7

[QUOTE=Lightstream;875​6612]Actually, it's the input and acquisition that's the problem. Virtually all of this output will be going to computer displays, which can handle 24, 25, 30, whatever I throw at it no problem. PAL, NTSC and interlaced format are legacies of yesteryear which should die quickly so as not to inconvenience us 100%-digital folk :p[QUOTE]

It's not totally dead. Witness 1080i format...

I'd rent the NTSC camera and shoot it all native 29.97 and convert the finished piece to whatever standard/format/scan rate/compression ratio you need.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 04, 2009 01:39 |  #8

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #8756643 (external link)
It's not totally dead. Witness 1080i format...

I'd rent the NTSC camera and shoot it all native 29.97 and convert the finished piece to whatever standard/format/scan rate/compression ratio you need.

I know, 1080i sucks! ;) (hence my comment "needs to die").. 1080/30P rocks :D

Great, except I'm looking to buy, so I'll just buy the camera and do it 'my way' 30P :)

Most of these are gonna end up as H.264 MPEG-4 for digital delivery.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 04, 2009 02:12 |  #9

Lightstream wrote in post #8756612 (external link)
Actually, it's the input and acquisition that's the problem. Virtually all of this output will be going to computer displays, which can handle 24, 25, 30, whatever I throw at it no problem. PAL, NTSC and interlaced format are legacies of yesteryear which should die quickly so as not to inconvenience us 100%-digital folk :p

Given that in mind, what would you recommend I acquire in? 30P or 25P?

I have an option of buying an imported camera to get my 30P and then shoot everything 30P, or buy a local camera and be forced to mix and match 25P and 30P footage with my Canons (unless there is an easy way to convert 30P to 25P or vice versa).

Actually, it's the editing program that will be the problem, some only accept one type of frame rate per project, and that's where it gets annoying. Even if it does, lighting will be tricky... Always aquire for what's best for output and acquisition. If you are going for NTSC in a 60hz power line country, shoot 30fps, if you are shooting for PAL country with 50hz lines, shoot 25fps. If you are shooting in japan where they use ntsc AND have 50hz lines, well, you are sh!t out of luck and better learn how to shoot properly so lights don't flicker.

EDIT:
And for your knowledge... even the "digital" video streams are transmitted and displayed analog... QAM and similar compressions use analog signals to transfer data, and component cables (and even some types of hdmi video) are analog in nature... And worse yet, even the strictly digital youtube actually supports (and often recompresses and displays in) 720i for video... not even real 720p (not all the time, but some of it is, and you usually can't tell until you download and review the file)

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

DigitalDabbler
348 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 09, 2009 20:38 as a reply to  @ basroil's post |  #10

It's all about framerate. Standard definition video runs at 50 Hz (PAL) 59.94 Hz (NTSC) interlaced half-frame. Film runs at 24 FPS (48 Hz/2 since interlace came later). The next question is aspect ratio. 4:3 or 16:9 (4^2x3^2). Then comes letterbox v curtain crop.

And... it starts...

Choose a base framerate and stick to it.

60i or 30p/50i or 25p just bear in mind that 25p is more compatible with film (24p).

PAL (768x576) v NTSC (640x480) with NTSC having the higher (30v25 FPS) frame rate and PAL having the higher resolution, the choice is yours.

In short, I'm completely over the format wars. I've had a near stand-up argument with an IBM employee who was absolutely convinced that the australian standard was 60 Hz (being a contractor, I wanted to be paid, so I backed off).

So, what ever format you choose, stick to it. If you want an option, go for 50p. It'll be more compatible with film.

C:\>

Respect the moderators. They are the over-worked force that keep this place civil.
Sturf (external link) | Picasa (various lightboxen) (external link) C&C welcome.
Got a spare lobster? get Kiva (external link).

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 09, 2009 23:22 |  #11

Great, thanks for the tip :)

I have decided to stick with 30P because I have a base of equipment that is already 30P (read: 5DMk2 and it's not going anywhere). I will be shooting completely in HD, so the resolution thing is all going to be 1080P.

No intention to do the 'film thing' so 30's fine. Though my upcoming Panasonic HMC40 will shoot 24P native if I need it to. I deliberately bought the US version rather than the international version (HMC41) so as to give myself an option of 30P and 24P. International version does only 25P.

sponsored links

7,592 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mixing 25P and 30P footage
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.