Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Oct 2009 (Friday) 11:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom : moving files and keeping develop settings

andrewaaa5
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 02, 2009 11:39 |  #1

My idea goal is to move some photos from C:\ (laptop internal HDD) to Z:\ (external usb hard disk) and not loose the 'develop' settings that have spend hours on, and here is what I tried:

I have just copied some files from C:\ to Z:\ and imported the photos again into LR. Seems to have not taken the develop settings with them. I have this option ticked:

[v] 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, and PSD files'

All my photos are jpegs. So I thought this above option would have added my develop settings into the images, but this is not the case. Should this setting make what I want to achieve possible?

To test some more I make some 'tone' edits to one photo on C:\ within LR, then 'removed' the photo from LR, then imported it again from C:\ and the tone edits have gone.

my idea goal is to move all of these photos from C:\ to Z:\ and not loose the 'develop' settings that have spend hours on.

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.com (external link)
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5 (external link)

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 02, 2009 12:04 |  #2

You're using an entirely incorrect process

1. Open Lightroom and go to the Library Module
2. In the Folders Panel, click the (+) plus sign and select "Add Folder"
3. In the dialog that appears, navigate to the external drive and create the new folder there.
4. Now simply drag and drop your current folders to the new location.

Gear List

andrewaaa5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 02, 2009 14:15 |  #3

ok, thanks for correcting me. I have now moved the jpgs.
But I still have a question not related to 'moving'.

If I remove a photo (previously imported JPG with 'develop' adjustments) from LR, and then import it again, am I really meant to loose all the adjustments that I have made?

andrew crighton

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 02, 2009 14:20 |  #4

Yes, you lose your metadata. The way to avoid this is to use the Metadata/Save Metadata to File command if you think you may want to re-import the photos. This will keep most of your LR work, although some of the library/organizational stuff will be lost.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 02, 2009 14:26 |  #5

Either move everything through/in Lightroom (best option), or move everything through/in the OS, then in LR in the Library Module, right-click the "old" folder and "find missing folder" (might be called "update folder location"? Something along those lines.).

You can also click the "?" that appears on a file that's moved, then "find missing photo" (or some such) and tick "find nearby photos" (or some such)

To make sure you don't loose edits, I'd first save out all edits to xmp.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

andrewaaa5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 02, 2009 14:43 |  #6

René Damkot wrote in post #8748717 (external link)
To make sure you don't loose edits, I'd first save out all edits to xmp.

Isn't XMP just for RAW? These files are jpg (film scans)

tonylong wrote in post #8748692 (external link)
Yes, you lose your metadata. The way to avoid this is to use the Metadata/Save Metadata to File command if you think you may want to re-import the photos. This will keep most of your LR work, although some of the library/organizational stuff will be lost.

I guess this will write something to the file itself and library? Will this cause some ballooning in the DB?

I'm still trying to get used to LR. I am just an occasional user, so I appreciate your helpful replies.

andrew crighton

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 02, 2009 14:47 |  #7

Actually for rendered files like JPEGs, TIFF, PSD the XMP data is written directly to the file header when you use the Save Metadata to FIle (CTRL+S) command.

As already explained you lose your edits when you reimport...there's no need to reimport simply re-sync the folders/missing files.

Gear List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 02, 2009 15:22 |  #8

As PixelMagic says, saving the metadata to file with a jpeg writes it into the file itself, not a separate xmp file.

If you do this, the metadata will still be there if you sync the folder/import the file.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

andrewaaa5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 02, 2009 16:29 |  #9

i have just tested the 'save metadata' feature. works great also. thanks for replies.

andrew crighton

bakgwei
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 25, 2010 21:18 as a reply to  @ andrewaaa5's post |  #10

I have a very similar question. I understand all the above, and have checked the box "save develop presets to jpg". This works well, - until I export the images from LR after I have made my changes to the original image. In the exported image, none of the develop settings is to be found in the XMP. Of course they are still in the original image (which I can delete from LR and later import them again, with all the develop settings read from the XMP).

Is there are way to keep the develop settings in the exported image as well???

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 26, 2010 00:23 |  #11

bakgwei wrote in post #10602347 (external link)
I have a very similar question. I understand all the above, and have checked the box "save develop presets to jpg". This works well, - until I export the images from LR after I have made my changes to the original image. In the exported image, none of the develop settings is to be found in the XMP. Of course they are still in the original image (which I can delete from LR and later import them again, with all the develop settings read from the XMP).

What you are saying is a bit confusing -- you are exporting as a jpeg, right? Does the jpeg have all the edits applied? It should, but this is entirely different from saving the processing info to an xmp file.

Were your original files jpegs? Lightroom handles jpegs a bit differently from Raw files. I haven't really messed with the ways that LR handles metadata when you do the Save Metadata to File function. Now, another question is what happens when you Export -- you tell the Export function to save the metadata in the actual jpeg, which is not the same as saving to the xmp file.

So, I'd say you should work with things to get a feel of how things work. But if you use xmp files and want them to keep up to date, the way to do this is to set your Preferences to automatically use xmp files rather than keep your changes in the catalog.

Tony

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 26, 2010 03:30 |  #12

When you export a jpg, LR automatically saves all the Develop settings in an xmp, without having to be told to do so. However, there is one important difference between a jpg and a RAW with accompanying xmp - the RAW xmp is a separate file, but the jpg's xmp is inside the jpg in the metadata. In a jpg there are three main sections to the metadata (plus some other things like thumbnails and color profiles); EXIF, IPTC and Maker's Notes. There can also be a fourth, XMP. Most Exif readers will show you only the EXIF section, You need a good inclusive reader to see the XMP. Here is a screen shot of ExifToolGUI reading a jpg that I exported yesterday. What you see is only about 20% of the list since I played around with it some, changing my mind several times, and the entire History is listed. Since the XMP starts off repeating a lot of the EXIF data, I have scrolled down to the middle of the list.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Elie / אלי

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 26, 2010 07:48 |  #13

have checked the box "save develop presets to jpg". This works well,

This one I presume?

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20100726-ttdpw9way3k4gwpmb1cs4372xe.jpg

How does it "work well" when the next thing you say is:

until I export the images from LR after I have made my changes to the original image.

In the exported image, none of the develop settings is to be found in the XMP

Have you unchecked the "Minimize embedded metadata box?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 26, 2010 07:55 |  #14

tzalman wrote in post #10603708 (external link)
and the entire History is listed

Huh?

I thought only the "final" settings were recorded?

That's all I see when I use http://regex.info/exif​.cgi (external link)

For instance on this image:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I get this:
http://regex.info …hd_20100703_Zof​f_0181.jpg (external link)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 26, 2010 08:53 |  #15

In the section for "Paint Correction Mask" (Local Adjustments Brush) there are 19 entries for "Dabs". Did you create 19 masks, each one with unique final settings? Or did you change one mask 19 times?

Edit: I think we're both right. For the brush it shows a history of each change in the mask, but for other panels it's final positions only.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links

9,186 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom : moving files and keeping develop settings
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.