Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Oct 2009 (Monday) 07:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

43mm 0.7x wide angle converter - recommend a good one

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 05, 2009 07:38 |  #1

This is a bit of an odd question. It is neither an EF lens, nor is there any other place for a converter lens like this, because I am not exactly sticking it on a Canon Powershot or Ixus either. But since POTN has been generally forgiving and helpful I thought I would ask anyway (so I ask your forgiveness if you have been inconvenienced clicking this thread. I am sure Belmondo will be along shortly to ban me, or worse, imprison me in certain forums for my transgressions. :p)

I am looking for a 43mm wide angle converter and I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for a good one with low CA and low distortion. I know the S5 (and similar) owners have a few good ones.

I am quite aware that these converters are seldom on par with the dedicated ultrawides like 17-40/10-22, but I have no choice as I am sticking this on a fixed-lens camera with 43mm thread. The alternative would have been to cough up an additional $1.2K for a version with a 28mm WA equivalent (instead of 40mm wide end) and that's simply $1.2K of money I do not have. Hence me needing to resort to this solution.

So fire away :)

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 05, 2009 09:34 |  #2

There are no good ones. Spend that money on something else.

GEAR LIST

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 05, 2009 09:35 |  #3

I tried some of the ebay cheapies on my old A40. They absolutely suck. Horrible. The best one I've used is the actual canon 0.7, though I haven't done an exhaustive search. But the difference can't be described as bad and good... it's more like, puke-inducing-horrible and pretty lousy. I don't remember if they make it in 43mm or not though.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 05, 2009 10:40 |  #4

Hmm, is stiching images an option?

There are some excellent ones made for video cameras, but they are not remotely inexpensive. Century optics brand is rated pretty highly, but video is a bit less demanding.

I think your best bet may be to look for brand name, dedicated wide angle adapters made for higher end compacts. Like the WA adapters for the G series or Nikon Pxxxx series. BUt as has been said, expect to lose some IQ. You may also find choosing a lens with wider filters than you need and then using a step up adapter might provide less vignetting

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Leonard ­ Wong
206 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 05, 2009 10:48 |  #5

I have a Canon HV20, which I use a WD-H43 (which is exactly the length and thread length you are asking about) on it. It works well for me, but I'm not a pixel peeper (even less likely, when talking about video.)

I don't find CA or distortion problems on my HV20. When the WD-H43 was in short supply, the raynox 6600 was looked at as a good alternative, but its .66 and 52mm thread. so to use that, you'd need to get some step up rings.

40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 30 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 F4 IS | 2x580EXII | YN CTR-301P | Lowepro Slingshot 200 | Kata R-103 | Manfrotto Monopod 679B
HV20 | WD-H43 | DM-20 | Manfrotto 390RC2
G12 | D10

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 06, 2009 03:43 |  #6

tkbslc wrote in post #8764107 (external link)
Hmm, is stiching images an option?

There are some excellent ones made for video cameras, but they are not remotely inexpensive. Century optics brand is rated pretty highly, but video is a bit less demanding.

I think your best bet may be to look for brand name, dedicated wide angle adapters made for higher end compacts. Like the WA adapters for the G series or Nikon Pxxxx series. BUt as has been said, expect to lose some IQ. You may also find choosing a lens with wider filters than you need and then using a step up adapter might provide less vignetting

Leonard Wong wrote in post #8764167 (external link)
I have a Canon HV20, which I use a WD-H43 (which is exactly the length and thread length you are asking about) on it. It works well for me, but I'm not a pixel peeper (even less likely, when talking about video.)

I don't find CA or distortion problems on my HV20. When the WD-H43 was in short supply, the raynox 6600 was looked at as a good alternative, but its .66 and 52mm thread. so to use that, you'd need to get some step up rings.

Thanks guys. I have been quite impressed by the Raynox samples I've seen. Stitching isn't much of an option - not for a video camera - but you're right that a video camera is less demanding.

Each system has its own advantages downsides. A screw-on adapter would be my very last choice for a DSLR - especially with the magnificent 17-40 and 10-22 (and I own both for FF and crop). But for a non-interchangeable-lens camcorder, even a midrange pro camcorder like some of the nice Panasonic HD ones, it's a non-starter.

There's a Raynox in 43, which would be good. I have a Canon 37mm wide con for my HF100, but the distortion is so noticeable even on the LCD! The Raynox doesn't appear to have that issue. And this is coming from someone who considers the 17-85 (apparently extremely prone to barrel distortion at the wide end) 'pretty ok' - so by the time I call bad, it's pretty bad :p

sponsored links

2,587 views & 0 likes for this thread
43mm 0.7x wide angle converter - recommend a good one
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.