Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 05 Oct 2009 (Monday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Homecoming pictures of my daughter...

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2009 13:15 |  #1

I wasn't sure if I should post these here or in the lighting forum. But, I decided I might get better feedback (C&C) in this forum.

My daughter had her first high school homecoming dance this past weekend. (It's hard for me to totally wrap my mind around how quickly she is growing up.) I only had about 15 minutes between the time she was all ready to go and when we had to take her to meet up with her friends for supper. This is the first time I've really used my relatively new Elinchrom strobes for anything but goofing around. I didn't have time to mess around with any background lighting or colored gels, but I though the gray background would go pretty well with her dress.

BTW, I just let her pose however she wanted to for this as I just wanted her to have fun. In the last picture, she is making a heart with her hands. Apparently that is something that she and her friends do and she wanted the picture for her Facebook page.

Please let me know what you think.

IMAGE: http://btbeilke.smugmug.com/photos/670601698_2yJZ3-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://btbeilke.smugmug.com/photos/670600800_ZLPRV-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://btbeilke.smugmug.com/photos/670604896_EVdRA-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://btbeilke.smugmug.com/photos/670602885_zxwXk-L.jpg

Blane
Gear List

sponsored links
PhotoTails
559 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 05, 2009 14:48 |  #2

Nice poses. Cute kid. The only thing I think you should have done in the first couple of shots is get yourself a little higher than your model. This will make her legs not look so long with a short body. I also think their a little under exposed.

EOS 50d + Grip - Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS Canon 2x teleconverter - Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 Bogen Tri-pod
www.phototails.com (external link) http://phototails.dotp​hoto.com (external link)

BTBeilke
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2009 14:59 |  #3

PhotoTails wrote in post #8765587 (external link)
Nice poses. Cute kid. The only thing I think you should have done in the first couple of shots is get yourself a little higher than your model. This will make her legs not look so long with a short body. I also think their a little under exposed.

When I processed these yesterday, they looked a bit "brighter" on my laptop monitor but when I looked at them at work today, they look a bit underexposed to me also. My new laptop has an awesome RGB LCD, but it is so much brighter than a "regular" flat panel that I've struggled a bit tweaking exposures. I've turned the monitor brightness down, but it still isn't quite right. I guess I may need to break down and buy something to calibrate it with.

How much higher are you suggesting I should be? I'm about 13" taller than she is, but I wasn't standing on anything. I do think perhaps that the high "waist band" of her dress tends to shorten the length of her body in relation to her legs. But that is a good suggestion. I hadn't thought about how I might compensate a bit for that look.

Thanks,

Blane
Gear List

fox
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 05, 2009 16:27 as a reply to  @ BTBeilke's post |  #4

In regards to her body/leg proportions, I think you did fine in this one. Dresses with a high waistband do tend to create the illusion that the legs are longer. I always feel they made subject look pregnant.

F/M ­ Bill
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 05, 2009 16:58 |  #5

Congrats on making it through such a big event (dad and the first high school dance). My choices would be for the last 3 shots. Didn't care for the first pose or the darker look of the first shot. My first thought of the 3rd shot was that I didn't like the pose but I have since reconsidered. Letting your daughter choose the poses brought a casualness to the shoot. I'm sure you two will have fun on future photo ops and related events in her school career. She is a very cute girl. Good luck.

Jeff

40D, Rebel xt, a bag of glass, a flashy thing, a few sticks and no talent.

http://hosedragger.zen​folio.com/ (external link)

Digital ­ Aurora ­ Photography
163 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 05, 2009 17:02 |  #6

I like the second last photo. It is fun and looks relaxed. Very cute photo.
Well Done!

Michael ­ Bottoms
Cream of the Crop
6,297 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 05, 2009 19:49 |  #7

Nice shots and cute daughter... They do grow up quickly... I like the last two shots best, with the third being my favourite. I'm not a fan of high waisted dresses, and these last two minimize the effect of this dress. In the third shot, she also just seems a little more relaxed and comfortable. Thanks for sharing

Former Pentax & 20D owner... now the pleased owner of the new 50D, 580EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF-S 60mm Macro, Canon EFS 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, Kenko 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300, Sekonic L-508 Zoom Master Meter, Manfrotto and slik tripods, trekpod and other assorted accessories...

Slaterza
Goldmember
2,007 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 05, 2009 20:16 |  #8

These look good she looks very relaxed and like she was having fun. I too am struggling with the laptop and trying to figure a way to get my images right as they always seem to be off depending on the time of day position of the laptop and so forth but it is all I have to work with. So if you come up with a solution to the problem I would love to hear it.

Sam Laterza flickr (external link) BLOG (external link)
Canon 50D, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 100-300, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 170-500, Canon 28-105, Canon 18-55 (external link)

korrektor
Goldmember
4,908 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 05, 2009 21:02 |  #9

very natural and very old school/classic. sometimes the absence of edginess (is that even a word?) and simplisity is a breath of fresh air.

WEBSITE http://mikhaylovphoto.​com/ (external link)

BTBeilke
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 09, 2009 16:14 |  #10

Thank you for the kind comments everyone. I've looked at some of your sites and was quite impressed by your work. I truly respect your opinions.

PhotoTails commented that the original pics I posted looked a bit underexposed and they did look "less bright" to me when I saw them on my monitor at work than they did on my laptop. So, I took one of them and tweaked it a bit. To those of you with calibrated systems, does the updated photo (the second one) look better exposure wise?

IMAGE: http://btbeilke.smugmug.com/photos/670600800_ZLPRV-XL.jpg
IMAGE: http://btbeilke.smugmug.com/photos/674602440_4BEUE-XL.jpg

Blane
Gear List

Digital ­ Aurora ­ Photography
163 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 09, 2009 17:04 |  #11

BTBeilke wrote in post #8792365 (external link)
Thank you for the kind comments everyone. I've looked at some of your sites and was quite impressed by your work. I truly respect your opinions.

PhotoTails commented that the original pics I posted looked a bit underexposed and they did look "less bright" to me when I saw them on my monitor at work than they did on my laptop. So, I took one of them and tweaked it a bit. To those of you with calibrated systems, does the updated photo (the second one) look better exposure wise?

QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

Hello,
I am at work and using a high-end Mac monitor (which is used for graphics and 3D work, so I think the colours have been calibrated), and I believe that the second image is now a bit overexposed. Her face and left arm/shoulder are very un-naturally bright.
I would be happy to hear from other people about which image looks better, as it could just be my monitor.

Mossman6
952 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 09, 2009 17:06 |  #12

I like #3 the most. As for the lighting subject, I think you pointed your light straight to her face, which made that area a little hot. The falloff of the light down in the legs area would be the reason why they look darker. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My name is Josh. I love FB likes.
Facebook (external link)

BTBeilke
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 09, 2009 17:16 |  #13

Mossman,

Like I said in my original post, I had very little time to set this up and take some pics. I had one strobe on my left with a Rotolux Octa softbox and one strobe on my right with a shoot-through umbrella. IIRC, the lighting ratio was about 2:1 with the strobe on my right being "2".

Your comments about the falloff are right on though IMO. I noticed the difference between her face/shoulders and her legs when processing the photos. For the full-body shots, the lights really should have been lower. As I had them set up, they were both at about the same height as her head. In fact, I think the umbrella was actually a bit higher than that but pointed downward slightly.

Blane
Gear List

Slaterza
Goldmember
2,007 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 09, 2009 21:44 |  #14

I agree that these are a bit bright on the right side. An easy fix in photoshop if you want or if they were shot in camera raw a very easy fix in adobe camera raw. Still feel it is a great shoot none the less.

Sam Laterza flickr (external link) BLOG (external link)
Canon 50D, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 100-300, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 170-500, Canon 28-105, Canon 18-55 (external link)

jackies35
796 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 09, 2009 21:55 |  #15

korrektor wrote in post #8767808 (external link)
very natural and very old school/classic. sometimes the absence of edginess (is that even a word?) and simplisity is a breath of fresh air.

I agree! I love this... I love the fact that the color, exposure, the lighting, etc is right on! (Especially on my laptop)!!

Just a Christian passing by Event Photography.......
www.pictureme2.com (external link) & www.twitter.com/pictur​eme2 (external link)

Nikon D7000 18-105 mm f3.5/50 mm f/1.4
Rebel XT
/50mm f1.4/Sigma 17-70mm f2.8

sponsored links

4,005 views & 0 likes for this thread
Homecoming pictures of my daughter...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.