Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Did the 50D fix the 40D shutter button issue?

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 07, 2009 13:51 |  #1

I’ve noticed some complaint about the 40D shutter button not responding, which results in a trip to Canon repair. Is this issue as common on the 50D?

sponsored links
John_B
Cream of the Crop
7,216 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 07, 2009 14:21 |  #2

ingraman,
Hmm... I haven't heard of the 40D shutter button problem? ???
I have used mine for two years now and haven't had any shutter or shutter button problems.

Sony A6500, A6000, Apeman A80, & a bunch of Lenses.............  (external link)
click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

Headsick
594 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 07, 2009 14:29 |  #3

I've taken over 12000 shots on my 50D, and the only time I've had an issue is when I didn't obtain focus.

Head Photography (external link)
flickr (external link)
5DmkII | 50D | Canon 17-40 F4L | Canon 24-105 F4L | Canon 50 F1.4 | Canon 85 F1.8 | Canon 100-400L | Canon 100L Macro | Canon 580ex ii

silvrr
Goldmember
2,755 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 07, 2009 14:30 |  #4

I have also never heard of the 40D shutter button issue. I have A LOT of shots on mine and never had it not respond.

Past Sale Feedback

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 07, 2009 14:38 as a reply to  @ silvrr's post |  #5

I had a problem with the shutter button on my 40D which was repaired under warranty, but as far as I can tell it's an isolated occurrence and not an issue with the camera in general.

John

kosin
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 07, 2009 15:13 |  #6

No problems with my two 40Ds either...
Actually it's the first time I hear about this issue :)

Greg Gard
=> www.greggard.com (external link)
follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/greggardphoto/ (external link)

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 07, 2009 16:27 |  #7

I'm approaching 10,000 with my 50D and I've had zero issues with the shutter button.

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 07, 2009 18:19 |  #8

I would think that if there was a shutter button problem with the 40D there would be 2-3 threads about it, must be another urban legend.

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

ergaticus
73 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 07, 2009 21:51 as a reply to  @ ralff's post |  #9

I have not heard of this problem with the 50D yet, but it has occurred to some extent with all the other bodies in the XXD lineup as far as I know. It happened to my 30D and when I searched for an answer about what was going on I found out quite a lot of evidence about people who had similar experiences.
This problem seems to be related to the lack of full weather sealing on the shutter button area. When dust or moisture enter that part of the camera the contacts can get dirty and the shutter button won't be as responsive as it used to be.
I'm not sure if there was any improvement on the 50D weather-sealing over the 40D; if not, I would assume that it is possible that this could happen to the 50D too.

https://photography-on-the.net …ht=shutter+butt​on+problem

https://photography-on-the.net …ht=shutter+butt​on+problem

https://photography-on-the.net …light=30d+shutt​er+problem

jkantor
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 08, 2009 22:42 |  #10

I have a 10D, a 20D, and a 40D with that problem.

jkantor
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 08, 2009 23:00 |  #11

It's apparently a lack of weather sealing - not number of actuations.

I do 4-10K shots per month on my 40D, and it recently started acting up - but I followed the advice of another thread and blew some compressed air into the shutter button while I was holding it down and that seems to have helped.

RichardInJapan
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 09, 2009 20:43 as a reply to  @ jkantor's post |  #12

The shutter button issue hasn't been fixed on the 50D, I can testify to that as I have a 50D and it started exibiting the problem about a month ago, just before the warranty ran out. Canon Japan have offered to fix it for me if indeed they can repeat the problem. However, given that it's intermittent (although getting worse of late) I have a feeling that it will be returned with 'fault not found' on the box.

Very irritating. The problem started after around 10,000 photos. Get it together Canon...his problem has been going on for far too long.

sponsored links

4,629 views & 0 likes for this thread
Did the 50D fix the 40D shutter button issue?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.