Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 21:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Holy smokes..... Profoto 8 Foot Reflector

badgerW
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 08, 2009 21:26 |  #1

Well, long story short, I happened upon one of these a few weeks ago that had bad damage to the frame. The fabric of the reflector is in 95% condition, and all the small parts are OK, but the frame was trashed. So I took a gamble and went ahead and bought it. I ordered a replacement frame from Profoto... I got it in today and installed it (not exactly easy, but once I hung the whole thing upside down from my background stand, it was a lot easier). Holy crap this thing is HUGE! It looked like a flying saucer had landed in my living room. This thing is actually as big as many satellite dishes I have seen.

http://www.flickr.com …w/sets/72157622​546052154/ (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2671/3993799305_d07141cec8.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3462/3993798859_ec353e15f4.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3509/3994560572_a1304bbaee.jpg

I do not have any Profoto lights, so I just decided to play with it by using one of my AB800's on a light stand approximately where the light head should go. If I keep this thing, I will probably be able to figure out a way to rig up a mount to attach an AlienBee to the post. I had the AB800 at full power, no modifiers attached, and the exposure was ISO 100 and f/13. I wanted to see if the whole thing would blow out evenly like a softbox, but as you can see, it did not do so around the frame ribs.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3485/3993820333_b39afee5c3.jpg

I am probably going to be selling this in the near future as I don't really have much of a use for it, but I am going to play with it for a bit and maybe do a comparison with the new Paul C. Buff 86" PLM. I am just having a hard time figuring out what I would use it for. Any ideas for tests? I will try to fulfill any requests. I am thinking maybe a photo of my truck at night. Too bad my wife is out of town for the weekend.

BTW, here is the link to the B&H product page for this (discontinued) reflector:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …e_Reflector.htm​l#features (external link)

Gear

sponsored links
Analog6
565 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 08, 2009 21:30 |  #2

Cripes! It's a monster.

Odille
---------------
My Facebook (external link) / Photo Blog (external link) / RedBubble shop (external link) / My Calendars (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 08, 2009 21:34 |  #3

That's pretty insane. Not sure it's intended use, but you could light large areas and decent sized groups with that thing wide open.

kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 08, 2009 21:38 |  #4

Awesome. If you got it cheap, keep it just to freak out friends :-)
It'd be great if you could do a PLM comparison since no one has done it yet...just remember to focus both and drum up a few models to test with it so we can see skin and clothing tone/sharpness.

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 08, 2009 21:53 as a reply to  @ kenyee's post |  #5

wow... thats about all I can say.

dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 08, 2009 21:56 |  #6

that thing is over 2k, i hope it is better than the 86 plm

Gearlist

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 08, 2009 21:56 |  #7

That is quite large.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 08, 2009 21:57 |  #8

Have you tried signaling Batman?

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 08, 2009 22:03 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #9

What is the actual span of the front face? Is that an 8 foot ceiling?

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

badgerW
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 08, 2009 22:12 |  #10

TMR Design wrote in post #8787960 (external link)
What is the actual span of the front face? Is that an 8 foot ceiling?

Good question. That is a 10 foot ceiling. I am about 6'1" tall.

I just measured it. From edge to edge (smallest diameter) it is 94". From vertex to vertex (largest diameter) it is 98". So average it out and it's pretty much 8 feet (96") across.

Gear

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 08, 2009 22:17 |  #11

badgerW wrote in post #8788012 (external link)
Good question. That is a 10 foot ceiling. I am about 6'1" tall.

I just measured it. From edge to edge (smallest diameter) it is 94". From vertex to vertex (largest diameter) it is 98". So average it out and it's pretty much 8 feet (96") across.

WOW!! Pretty Amazing.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 09, 2009 00:00 |  #12

I'll be very interested to see side by side comparos to the PCB 86"-PLM ( since I have one ). If you have the PCB spill kill refector, it might be worth trying that also in the comparo.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 09, 2009 00:10 |  #13

Wooaaa. Let's see you use this outdoors.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

badgerW
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 09, 2009 00:12 |  #14

george m w wrote in post #8788562 (external link)
I'll be very interested to see side by side comparos to the PCB 86"-PLM ( since I have one ). If you have the PCB spill kill refector, it might be worth trying that also in the comparo.

Yeah, I think I will go ahead and pick up the 86" PLM and the spill kill reflector to run the comparison. It sounds like a fun thing to do, and who knows, maybe we can learn something useful.

Gear

badgerW
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 09, 2009 00:17 |  #15

mellofelow wrote in post #8788621 (external link)
Wooaaa. Let's see you use this outdoors.

Haha, I actually took it out to the backyard a little while ago to see what it could do. Unfortunately I didn't get any shots because the wind was blowing and I could not take my hands off the thing or else it would start to blow over. It took both hands to hold it down! Fortunately, though, it is fairly sturdy, and I think the "blowing itself down" issue might actually be for the best. If I had it staked into the ground or something then it would probably blow itself inside-out, and I have a feeling that was how the original frame got broken so badly.

I think this weekend I will try pointing it out of my garage at my truck and the houses across the street. That will be a good test, and hopefully it will be sheltered from the wind in the garage.

Gear

sponsored links

11,118 views & 1 like for this thread
Holy smokes..... Profoto 8 Foot Reflector
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.