Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Oct 2009 (Friday) 20:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best file to convert fom RAW?

PNPhotography
803 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 09, 2009 20:50 |  #1

Ok I'm almost always dissapointed with my RAW to jpeg conversions.What is the best file to convert to? It seems TFF is better but I'm wondering what most people convert RAW files to?I'm talking for printing purposes.
Thanks,
Rookie

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

sponsored links
bheard1836
40 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 09, 2009 21:37 |  #2

Hi rookie

The issue is not so much what file type to convert to but more a question of what you do to the RAW file in the process.
When you shoot in RAW, you are simply telling the camera to not make any decisions on processing for you - the RAW file is simply all of the information captured by the sensor with nothing omitted. When you open the RAW file, you have to decide how to process it - white balance, sharpening, contrast etc...
When you shoot jpg, the camera makes the bulk of the processing decisions for you, and then compresses the file - effectively dumping the file information it did not use or was done with. That's why RAW files are so much larger than jpg.
My 40D will shoot beautiful jpgs - particularly if I tweak some of the picture style settings. I shoot RAW so that I have far more creative control when I get to LR and PP.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 10, 2009 11:18 |  #3

For printing purposes it would be virtually impossible to see any difference between a once saved, maximum quality jpg and a tif. But unless you need to edit more in a secondary editor,why bother with the intermediate file at all? I print directly from LR and have in the past printed from DPP.

Elie / אלי

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 10, 2009 13:59 |  #4

tzalman wrote in post #8796034 (external link)
For printing purposes it would be virtually impossible to see any difference between a once saved, maximum quality jpg and a tif. But unless you need to edit more in a secondary editor,why bother with the intermediate file at all? I print directly from LR and have in the past printed from DPP.

This is pretty much true. Unless you are going to do a very large print - say 20"x30" or larger - a good, high quality jpeg should get you set.

Sound like more of a processing thing to me.

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

illrooster132
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 10, 2009 14:39 |  #5

good question. i see alot of quality difference when i save my raw files to jpeg after processing.
i like the jpeg that my camera do better. so i shoot both just in case i learn a better way to handle raw

You dont take a picture ! you just borrow it.:cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/lightburstphotograp​hyexternal link
http://ligthburstphoto​graphy.webs.com/external link

PNPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
803 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 10, 2009 16:20 |  #6

Well thanks for your replies.I didn't know I could print directly from DDP.It does seem like my prints always get softer when converting to jpeg and it seems other might agree.I just didn't know if some of the other files listed in the photoshop dropdown box were better or not.
Thanks,
rookie

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

Wendell ­ Dorman
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 20, 2009 16:29 |  #7

I shoot raw and JPG at the same time but I find that at times my raw file is missing, expecially if I make a number of shots in a short period of time.
Any help or suggested would be greatly appreciated.
Wendell Dorman

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 20, 2009 16:48 |  #8

illrooster132 wrote in post #8796891 (external link)
good question. i see alot of quality difference when i save my raw files to jpeg after processing.
i like the jpeg that my camera do better. so i shoot both just in case i learn a better way to handle raw

An unusual comment, in my circles.

I think you should experiment more with your Raw conversion, or maybe even try another converter. I know of no one who can't please himself more with a carefully done Raw conversion, than with Jpeg conversions from the camera.

I expect you will learn a better way to handle raw if you experiment more.

Haribo
303 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 20, 2009 16:49 |  #9

Wendell Dorman wrote in post #8860756 (external link)
I shoot raw and JPG at the same time but I find that at times my raw file is missing, expecially if I make a number of shots in a short period of time.
Any help or suggested would be greatly appreciated.
Wendell Dorman

A little off topic, but this sounds like it is due to the camera buffer being full... the write time for a RAW file is much longer, so less RAW files can be taken in quick succession compared to jpegs. I guess if you are shooting RAW+jpeg, then the buffer can handle a few more jpegs before it runs out of space...although I would have thought they should stop at the same time...

flickrexternal link

sponsored links

1,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best file to convert fom RAW?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.