Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Oct 2009 (Monday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Opteka 6.5mm Fisheye?

Baselerd
156 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 12, 2009 16:34 |  #1

I am in the market for an UWA lens or fisheye for my Rebel XSi (450D). I can't really afford any of the UWA lenses unfortunately :(. I noticed this lens, however. There isn't really any information out regarding this lens on the internet (not even which mount type it is)....

http://opteka.com …fordigitalslrca​meras.aspx (external link)

Has anyone had any personal experience with this lens? Thanks!

Rebel XSi (450D) | 18-55mm IS Canon| 60mm USM EF-S macro | 55-250 IS Canon | Canon Speedlite 420EX | ProOptics Extension Tubes | Opteka Fisheye | Lumiquest Softbox

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 12, 2009 16:40 |  #2

I have the Vivitar 7/3.5 fisheye lens - same thing. There already are some threads her about it. Decide fisheye vs UWA, not the same thing. Threads already on that subject as well.

GEAR LIST

Baselerd
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 12, 2009 16:46 |  #3

Yea, I am aware that UWA and fisheye are not the same thing at all. Thanks.

Rebel XSi (450D) | 18-55mm IS Canon| 60mm USM EF-S macro | 55-250 IS Canon | Canon Speedlite 420EX | ProOptics Extension Tubes | Opteka Fisheye | Lumiquest Softbox

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 23, 2009 11:19 |  #4

I also have the Vivitar Series 1 as does gasrocks, and can confirm the lens is quite good. And yes fisheyes are very different from UWA's. You need to decide what look works for you best.

But as far as pricing, the Vivitar Series 1/Samyang/Opteka/Pro-Optic/etc 6.5/7/8mm fisheyes all cost about $350. The Tokina 12-24 f/4 costs $399. If I could only have 1 I'd probably go for the UWA.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 23, 2009 11:59 |  #5

funny thing is when I was a kid just getting into photography I was absolutely obsessed with FishEye shots. Always wanted one, but at the heavy duty prices for them (even then, umm 15-20 years ago), figured I'd never have one. Now I have 2, and am contemplating more down the road, one day I want a whole "School Of Fish"-Eyes. :)

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 23, 2009 12:00 |  #6

Lensbaby is coming out with a fisheye insert for the Composer and the Muse. Its $149. I'm getting one for grins. I think FE's are fun but distort so horrible that optical quality is a secondary consideration for most people. Check it out here:
http://www.lensbaby.co​m/optics-fisheye.php (external link)

If you don't already have one of the Lensbaby's, by the time you buy one and add the fisheye it will be the same as the Opteka, but the Lensbaby system will be far more versatile.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 23, 2009 12:03 |  #7

Not a fan of Lensbaby. Do not consider them in the same "field" as real lenses.

GEAR LIST

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 23, 2009 13:07 |  #8

gasrocks wrote in post #8879992 (external link)
Not a fan of Lensbaby. Do not consider them in the same "field" as real lenses.

That's kind of how I feel about fisheye shots---not "real" pictures, but a fun way to capture some images.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 23, 2009 14:46 |  #9

I was looking at the new add-ons for the LensBaby the other day. Sadly, the fisheye lens looks a LOT like a "add-on" lens. And all of those suck. Lensbabies have a good reputation for optics, within the realm of what they market anyways, but in no way shape or form would I put the lensbaby fisheye in the same class as that Opteka (a Samyang Re-branded lens).

And your comment on optical quality of fisheyes is unfounded. Quality fisheye's (i.e. REAL ONES) have GREAT IQ. The spherical projection is not a distortion its a quality - one that many people cherish. If you have any doubt, just click at the PBase link at the bottom of this post in my sig. That shot was taken with a MC Peleng 8mm fisheye... in fact its a composite of 3 shots to generate an HDR - so not only did ONE shot have to have excellent sharpness and clarity but THREE.

All that said, the soft-focus addon for the LensBaby system is intriguing... I'm especially impressed by their approach to soft-focus... little holes, making for a multiple aperture.

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 23, 2009 16:58 |  #10

nureality wrote in post #8881102 (external link)
And your comment on optical quality of fisheyes is unfounded.

What comment are you referring to?

nureality wrote in post #8881102 (external link)
Quality fisheye's (i.e. REAL ONES) have GREAT IQ. The spherical projection is not a distortion its a quality - one that many people cherish. If you have any doubt, just click at the PBase link at the bottom of this post in my sig. That shot was taken with a MC Peleng 8mm fisheye... in fact its a composite of 3 shots to generate an HDR - so not only did ONE shot have to have excellent sharpness and clarity but THREE.

I don't doubt that that image is in fact sharp, but that cannot be determined from the size of your image on pbase. I'm also not sure what point you are trying to make with all three shots being sharp. If one is sharp, why wouldn't the other two be?

Roy

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 23, 2009 17:14 |  #11

in order to shoot HDR you need to shoot 3 bracketed shots (or more, thats the only thing that the Nikons have that Canon doesn't and I want) and the difference from one shot to the next is 2 stops of light.

So, the HDR you're looking at was taken at the following speeds if I remember 1/50, 1/200, and 1/800. High Speed Continuous... good handholding technique kept the same framing for all 3 shots, the slightest bit of rotation in PS before taking it to Photomatix 3.0 and voila... great HDR.

Ultimately the point is, that shot has A LOT of depth of field at f/8 or f/11, so much so that everything from about 2ft. away from the lens to the OTHER END of Yankee Stadium is in focus. I hardly think such detail could be had from a lens with "horrible IQ"

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 23, 2009 17:36 |  #12

I know what HDR is and how to achieve it.

But I still don't know who supposedly claimed that fisheyes have horrible IQ, nor why it is any more special for a lens to produce 3 sharp shots than it is to deliver 1.

Roy

ScootersDaddy
398 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 23, 2009 19:40 |  #13

I'm looking forward to the LB FE and the soft focus optic. Should be tremendous fun and not have quite the usual LB effects.

Will these non Canon FE lenses work on EF or just EF-S? I really enjoy the FE effect and the sharpness I have been getting and it might be neat to play with an even wider view than the 15mm.

--Peter
Bodies may come and go but L glass is forever.
PhotoBlog (external link) Gear List

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 23, 2009 20:43 |  #14

Isn't the 15mm FE a 180 degree fisheye on a full frame camera? I think that is about as wide as it gets. The focal length is not very important on fisheyes, it is more the frame coverage and AOV you should consider.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

ScootersDaddy
398 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 23, 2009 20:52 |  #15

Oh OK, so any wider and it just vignettes on FF?

--Peter
Bodies may come and go but L glass is forever.
PhotoBlog (external link) Gear List

sponsored links

7,769 views & 0 likes for this thread
Opteka 6.5mm Fisheye?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.