Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Noobie - desperate

Dawud
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 13, 2009 09:51 |  #1

Hi there,

I'm doing the dumbest thing ever this friday. I will be shooting a formal wedding + reception with no experience at all.
Yes I know I would better say no to the shoot, tried that and they refused ( it's family :rolleyes:)

It will start at 4 pm in belgium, so it will be pretty dark. I have primes to help me, but will be using following setup as I don't do this kind of things and the zoom is more usefull.

5D + 430EX (+ diffusor) + 24-105 IS
40D + 35 F1.4

Now the problem I have is the 430EX. I have really no experience on using a flash but read some stuff on the internet.

The ceilings are 2-3 meters high, so I will bounce the flash straigth to the ceiling.
I know it depends on light and so, but is it correct that I best shoot at

F4 / ISO400 / 1/200 for individual shots
F8 / ISO400 / 1/60 for group shots

???

I already did some test shots and it also looked that I better set the flash a bit harder then normal, otherwhise it seems to dark.

Is there anybody who can give me some extra advice?
Laughing with me is also permitted when you add some usefull info to it :lol:

Camera • lenses

sponsored links
Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 13, 2009 10:28 |  #2

1/200 f/4 ISO 800. For group shots with more than one row, maybe stop down to f/5.6.

Start with Flash Exposure Compensation at +2/3 and adjust as needed.
If shots are underexposed and bumping the FEC doesn't help, then raise the ISO to 1600.

Keep your AF mode at "One Shot" (not AI Servo) so your AF Assist light will work.

Practice beforehand, on location, as much as possible.

Read this:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=177622

Good luck.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Dawud
THREAD ­ STARTER
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 14, 2009 01:12 |  #3

Curtis N wrote in post #8813203 (external link)
1/200 f/4 ISO 800. For group shots with more than one row, maybe stop down to f/5.6.

Start with Flash Exposure Compensation at +2/3 and adjust as needed.
If shots are underexposed and bumping the FEC doesn't help, then raise the ISO to 1600.

Keep your AF mode at "One Shot" (not AI Servo) so your AF Assist light will work.

Practice beforehand, on location, as much as possible.

Read this:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=177622

Good luck.

Camera • lenses

Steve ­ Wintrow
187 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 14, 2009 16:09 |  #4

you should buy a bracket to get your flash off the hotshoe on the camera. this will help you eliminate red eye. you would also need a hot shoe cord for this.

good luck and have fun.

5DII, 1D Mark IIn, Canon 24-105 L, Canon 28-70 2.8L, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 100-400L
Canon 580EX, 430EXII, PW+II, 2-FlexTT5
2-Prophoto Compact 600+PW

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 14, 2009 16:21 |  #5

If you're going to do event photography regularly then a flash bracket should be on your shopping list. But for this event, just keep the camera horizontal. For vertical scenes, zoom out and crop the sides off later. This will keep the flash above the lens and prevent ugly side shadows.

Trust me, when people see the prints, they'll never know you cheated.
;)

Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 14, 2009 16:27 |  #6

wow... a wedding... that was dumb... lol j/k but good luck

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 14, 2009 16:29 |  #7

Dawud wrote in post #8813008 (external link)
Hi there,

I'm doing the dumbest thing ever this friday. I will be shooting a formal wedding + reception with no experience at all.
Yes I know I would better say no to the shoot, tried that and they refused ( it's family :rolleyes:)

Not trying to give you a hard time but.....

This is your families memory. What if none of your shots come out? I mean this is highly unlikely we can all agree, but still... i carry 2 backups and i'm still nervous something is going to happen... The fact that they are family makes it worse, that means for the rest of your life, if it's screwed up, they will never let you forget about it.

If it was a client, at least they'd yell at you and maybe sue. So i guess it's family is good as they will most likely not sue you.

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 14, 2009 18:23 |  #8

Whatever you do, bring spare batteries for flash and camera. Bring at least a few CF cards. Nothing worse than running out of battery or memory. Also, get someone to watch your other lens not in use. You have some expensive stuff and you definitely don't want them to walk away.

Good luck.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 14, 2009 19:45 |  #9

"I'm doing the dumbest thing ever this friday"

No Dawud the dumbest thing is that you waited till 2 days before the event to ask for help. LOL Everyone has to have their first and it usually is for family or friends who will not take "no" for an answer. Been there, done that!

Every piece of advice I can think of to offer seems pointless with only two days. WOW!

First don't worry about a flash bracket as I own 3 of them and have never used them. I keep it simple with direct flash bounced off walls or ceilings and I use a Stofen Omni Bounce the rest of the time. Just make sure when shooting vertical (portrait) to place the flash on the side which will have the shadows fall off to where they are the least obvious or hidden. If you shoot for the ambient light (shoot at high ISO's if neccesary to try and achieve a proper exposure) and use the flash to fill your shadows then the shadows, caused by the flash, will not be that distracting anyway. Only other photographers seem to make a big deal out of it and clients never seem to even notice.

Hopefull you will not have to dark a venue becuase you will be limited for power with your one 430EX. If you are shooting indoors and in E-TTL then go into your cameras custom functions and set your flash metering to "average" instead of "evaluative". It will give you better flash exposures for your whites and blacks which seem to be prevelant at weddings (you won't be jacking around with your FEC "flash exposure compensation" as much, if at all, as you would be with "evaluative").

Everything else I can think to offer you in the way of advice would require at least 3 days to pull off so I will finish with Good Luck!

Rand

Gear

Dawud
THREAD ­ STARTER
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 15, 2009 01:44 |  #10

Steve Wintrow wrote in post #8822432 (external link)
you should buy a bracket to get your flash off the hotshoe on the camera. this will help you eliminate red eye. you would also need a hot shoe cord for this.

good luck and have fun.

I don't have a bracket and won't be buying one because I won't be doing this things anymore.

Curtis N wrote in post #8822487 (external link)
If you're going to do event photography regularly then a flash bracket should be on your shopping list. But for this event, just keep the camera horizontal. For vertical scenes, zoom out and crop the sides off later. This will keep the flash above the lens and prevent ugly side shadows.

Trust me, when people see the prints, they'll never know you cheated.

How do you mean "keep the flash above the lens?" When I do vertical shots I can rotate my flash to the ceiling as well so then the flash is also above the lens?

focus.pocus wrote in post #8822525 (external link)
wow... a wedding... that was dumb... lol j/k but good luck

:D

mumbles wrote in post #8822538 (external link)
Not trying to give you a hard time but.....

This is your families memory. What if none of your shots come out? I mean this is highly unlikely we can all agree, but still... i carry 2 backups and i'm still nervous something is going to happen... The fact that they are family makes it worse, that means for the rest of your life, if it's screwed up, they will never let you forget about it.

If it was a client, at least they'd yell at you and maybe sue. So i guess it's family is good as they will most likely not sue you.

Say something I don't know :D.

liupublic wrote in post #8823164 (external link)
Whatever you do, bring spare batteries for flash and camera. Bring at least a few CF cards. Nothing worse than running out of battery or memory. Also, get someone to watch your other lens not in use. You have some expensive stuff and you definitely don't want them to walk away.

Good luck.

spare battieries - check
CF cards - check

My other gear will be placed under surveilence of my girlfriend :)

Thanks for the tip!

agv8or wrote in post #8823570 (external link)
"I'm doing the dumbest thing ever this friday"

No Dawud the dumbest thing is that you waited till 2 days before the event to ask for help. LOL Everyone has to have their first and it usually is for family or friends who will not take "no" for an answer. Been there, done that!

Every piece of advice I can think of to offer seems pointless with only two days. WOW!

First don't worry about a flash bracket as I own 3 of them and have never used them. I keep it simple with direct flash bounced off walls or ceilings and I use a Stofen Omni Bounce the rest of the time. Just make sure when shooting vertical (portrait) to place the flash on the side which will have the shadows fall off to where they are the least obvious or hidden. If you shoot for the ambient light (shoot at high ISO's if neccesary to try and achieve a proper exposure) and use the flash to fill your shadows then the shadows, caused by the flash, will not be that distracting anyway. Only other photographers seem to make a big deal out of it and clients never seem to even notice.

Hopefull you will not have to dark a venue becuase you will be limited for power with your one 430EX. If you are shooting indoors and in E-TTL then go into your cameras custom functions and set your flash metering to "average" instead of "evaluative". It will give you better flash exposures for your whites and blacks which seem to be prevelant at weddings (you won't be jacking around with your FEC "flash exposure compensation" as much, if at all, as you would be with "evaluative").

Everything else I can think to offer you in the way of advice would require at least 3 days to pull off so I will finish with Good Luck!

Yeah, I should have said something sooner :o

"Just make sure when shooting vertical (portrait) to place the flash on the side which will have the shadows fall off to where they are the least obvious or hidden. "
=> so I need to set my flash to bounce to a wall next to me? Or should is still be pointed up to the ceiling?

Thanks for the tip about the flash metering!

Camera • lenses

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 15, 2009 06:44 |  #11

Dawud wrote in post #8825373 (external link)
How do you mean "keep the flash above the lens?" When I do vertical shots I can rotate my flash to the ceiling as well so then the flash is also above the lens?

Your subject will still receive some light directly from the flash, even if you're bouncing it. If the camera is vertical and the hotshoe flash is beside the lens, you will get side shadows.

chris21908
152 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 15, 2009 12:16 |  #12

i personally think it will go well. just stay cool and im sure u will have a blast!! it will definitely be a great experience. have fun!!!

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 15, 2009 12:32 |  #13

You still a couple of days. How about doing some test shots before?

Also, this might be a stupid question, is the ceiling white at the reception? If not, you will need to go early and do some test shots to get the right white balance before the event. Might need to get a grey card and do a custom white balance. It will save a lot of time on PP at guessing people's skin tone.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

Strayz
691 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 15, 2009 16:07 |  #14

make sure to use the built in bounce card when shooting at the cealing as it will help with a little fill flash. (just a little, but sometimes that is all you need).

Back to learning after a 5ish year break from photography

sponsored links

1,423 views & 0 likes for this thread
Noobie - desperate
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.