Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 13:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron 60mm f/2 macro users?

tin.risky
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 13, 2009 13:31 |  #1

I've got a Tamron 60 f/2 macro lens coming in the mail (thanks, sirockalot), and from what little I can gather, it's a kicker of a lens. Since there are so few threads on this new piece of glass, I'm just putting out a call to anyone who has managed to get their hands on one to give me their impressions on it. I know that I was hard pressed to find much info when I was making my decision, so hopefully this will help others who are also trying to decide whether or not to pick it up.

I know we're not a very opinionated group to begin with, but please try not to hold back ;)

I'll contribute some photos and first impressions as soon as I receive it :D

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 13, 2009 14:55 |  #2

I always wonder about the people who post a thread asking how good a lens is that they just bought. Why don't you tell us when you get it? Thanks.

GEAR LIST

tin.risky
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 13, 2009 15:40 |  #3

If you had read my thread fully, you would've seen that I was just trying to start a thread of information for others who might be interested in this lens since I found so little information on it while I was trying to make my own decision. Also, I already said that I would tell you how good of a lens it was once I received it. Thanks for your input anyway.

Mikelangelo
Goldmember
1,262 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 13, 2009 16:54 |  #4

I just learned about this lens. Please post your review (anyone) of its performance. It's too pricey for me now, but I'm considering this lens or the Canon EF-S 60mm 2.8/f.

if ANYONE can offer comparison review between the tammy 60mm and the Canon 60mm...I would LOVE to hear it!!

I'd love to see some comparison reviews from other members!!

I have found little info on it to begin with as well. Thanks for thinking of us Tin.Risky

--
Photoblog (external link)
7d::17-50 f/2.8::100 Macro

juanpafer
Goldmember
1,862 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 13, 2009 22:25 |  #5

Ohhh. Please post your findings. I am on the edge of trading my canon 60 and my 50 1.8 for this lens; it would serve both purposes and give me more space in my bag! But we are talking about two GREAT lenses. Would be great to have side by side comparisons with the canon.

Juan

Mikelangelo
Goldmember
1,262 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 13, 2009 23:10 |  #6

On B&H under specifications for the Tamron 60 and the Canon 60 I see something that confuses me..

Canon:
Minimum Focus Distance7.9" (20cm)

Tamron:
Minimum Focus Distance9.1" (0.23mm)
Focusing DistanceWorking Focus Distance: 3.94" (100mm)

What's the difference between "Minimum Focus Distance" and "Focusing Distance Working Focus Distance" listed under the Tamron?

I thought the "minimum focus Distance" was how close you needed to be to subject for full 1:1 magnification... what'st eh 3.94 in. about on the Tamron, then?

--

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 14, 2009 00:08 |  #7

But some macro lenses change focal length while you are at MFD, so 2 macro lenses that go to the same power might not have the same MFD.

GEAR LIST

Mikelangelo
Goldmember
1,262 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 14, 2009 15:15 |  #8

gasrocks wrote in post #8818233 (external link)
But some macro lenses change focal length while you are at MFD, so 2 macro lenses that go to the same power might not have the same MFD.

really? boy.. I've got mutcho to learn.

--

artyH
Goldmember
2,113 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 14, 2009 17:51 as a reply to  @ Mikelangelo's post |  #9

The minimum working distance is from the front of the lens. The min. focus distance is from the sensor - I think - like from the film plane in a film camera. This would be towards the rear of the camera body. There is a mark on top of the camera to indicate this location. It is on the top left of my XS and looks like an oval with a line through it. It is identified as the focal plane mark in my manual.

Mikelangelo
Goldmember
1,262 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 14, 2009 18:07 |  #10

artyH wrote in post #8822986 (external link)
The minimum working distance is from the front of the lens. The min. focus distance is from the sensor - I think - like from the film plane in a film camera. This would be towards the rear of the camera body. There is a mark on top of the camera to indicate this location. It is on the top left of my XS and looks like an oval with a line through it. It is identified as the focal plane mark in my manual.

oh... ok. interesting.

thanks for the info...

--

sponsored links

1,598 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron 60mm f/2 macro users?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.