Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manual focus - do you do it with the focus points?

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 13, 2009 18:07 |  #1

So I was playing around with manual focus, kind of brought about when the AF mechanism died on my 17-55.

Since the focus points still work in manual mode, it occurred to me that you don't turn these off, instead you use these to assist you. In particular, turning on ALL focus points, and then manual focusing until the point you want focussed beeps in confirmation.

Is this how it's supposed to be done? Or do manual focusers just turn every thing off and use the viewfinder?

It also occurs to me that the 19 point AF on the 7D is amazing for this.

sponsored links
stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 14, 2009 09:15 |  #2

There's no apparent downside to keeping the focus points active so you get confirmation of your manual focus accuracy, recognizing that the AF confirmation may not be completely accurate.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 14, 2009 09:21 |  #3

If my AF points can give me confirmation, I can use AF just as accurately and faster to boot.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,091 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 14, 2009 12:02 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #4

If I for some reason need to do critical manual focusing, I turn on live view, magnify the interesting part of the screen and focus there.

Anders

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 16, 2009 14:16 |  #5

cdifoto wrote in post #8819861 (external link)
If my AF points can give me confirmation, I can use AF just as accurately and faster to boot.

Well, sometimes you have a narrow DOF, and you want to take shots with different parts in focus, so you can turn the manual focus until one part confirms focus, take the shot, then turnout eh focus to another and take the shot, all confirmed with the points.

I was just asking if manual focusers actually leave the points on to guide them, especially with the 7D 19 points which cover a lot of the screen.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Oct 16, 2009 14:18 |  #6

mrkgoo wrote in post #8835409 (external link)
Well, sometimes you have a narrow DOF, and you want to take shots with different parts in focus, so you can turn the manual focus until one part confirms focus, take the shot, then turnout eh focus to another and take the shot, all confirmed with the points.

How would that be any different than selecting the first AF point and using AF, take the shot, then select the second AF point and using AF again?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 16, 2009 14:23 |  #7

krb wrote in post #8835422 (external link)
How would that be any different than selecting the first AF point and using AF, take the shot, then select the second AF point and using AF again?

No different, but faster as you don't have to fumble with the AF-select button, then click the selector to the point you want, you simply refocus and click. 19 points means that's like clicking a few times :p. I guess it would be much simpler on the XXD/XXXD/5D to just hit af-select and then the one you want very quickly.

Now that I think about it, the focus points on those maybe less useful using manual focus as the points don't necessarily lie on the place you want in focus.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 16, 2009 14:39 |  #8

mrkgoo wrote in post #8835454 (external link)
No different, but faster as you don't have to fumble with the AF-select button, then click the selector to the point you want, you simply refocus and click.

You're doing it wrong. The 40D and 7D can both be configured to use the multi-controller (the little joystick thing) to directly select the AF point without fumbling around with any buttons.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,444 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 16, 2009 14:41 |  #9

mrkgoo wrote in post #8835454 (external link)
No different, but faster as you don't have to fumble with the AF-select button, then click the selector to the point you want, you simply refocus and click. 19 points means that's like clicking a few times :p. I guess it would be much simpler on the XXD/XXXD/5D to just hit af-select and then the one you want very quickly.

Now that I think about it, the focus points on those maybe less useful using manual focus as the points don't necessarily lie on the place you want in focus.

Does 7D let you change number of active Af points like 1 series do?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Zephyrize
316 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 16, 2009 14:42 |  #10

krb wrote in post #8835422 (external link)

my Xsi sometimes hunt badly, so I use MF+confirmation; it does work pretty well.

~Be the change you want to see in the world.
Flickriver. (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 16, 2009 14:44 |  #11

bobbyz wrote in post #8835568 (external link)

You select modes. The options are: all 19 points active, zone, single AF with expansion, single point, and spot which is single point but with a smaller, more precise point.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 16, 2009 14:50 |  #12

bobbyz wrote in post #8835568 (external link)

Sort of ... You have 5 different AF modes:

Full - all 19 points are active.
Single - choose one point.
Spot - choose one point that has a smaller area.
Single assisted - choose a point like single, but the surrounding 4 points are also active.
Zone - choose the centre 9, or the top/bottom/left/right 5 or so points to be active.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,091 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 16, 2009 16:58 as a reply to  @ mrkgoo's post |  #13

But when you are in manual select mode, you can't limit it to having to plow through less then 19 points, that's correct.
What you can do is open a backdoor, which allows you to go directly from the leftmost to the rightmost point, for example.

Anders

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 16, 2009 17:06 |  #14

apersson850 wrote in post #8836334 (external link)
But when you are in manual select mode, you can't limit it to having to plow through less then 19 points, that's correct.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by plowing through less than 19. If you mean when selecting a focus point, the longest distance is 6 points when going from one side to the other in landscape/horizontal orientation.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,091 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 16, 2009 17:08 as a reply to  @ krb's post |  #15

Yes, I know. But out of the 19 points you can select in a 1D Mark III, you can exclude some to get it down to nine (I think) only. That you can't do on a 7D.

Anders

sponsored links

2,592 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manual focus - do you do it with the focus points?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.