Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 15 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 10:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Welding Glass (£1/$1 ND Filter) Exposures

vislp
48 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 26, 2012 16:57 |  #1936

Canajun wrote in post #14485545 (external link)
Did anyone tried using this method to use at last weeks Solar eclipse? Not so much for the long exp but more for filtering. I had prior commitments and couldn't bring my gears.:(

Three of us local photog's were ready to shoot the eclipse, then the rain moved in. I was VERY disappointed to say the least. We were supposed to have 54% coverage here in southern Illinois. Was REALLY looking forward to it for quite sometime! :( We have VERY little to use the welding glass on in our area. Unless you call shooting corn or bean fields exciting! LOL! :lol:

Time for a road trip! :D

VisLP

sponsored links
Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 27, 2012 19:01 |  #1937

vislp wrote in post #14488781 (external link)
Three of us local photog's were ready to shoot the eclipse, then the rain moved in. I was VERY disappointed to say the least. We were supposed to have 54% coverage here in southern Illinois. Was REALLY looking forward to it for quite sometime! :( We have VERY little to use the welding glass on in our area. Unless you call shooting corn or bean fields exciting! LOL! :lol:

Time for a road trip! :D

VisLP

Sorry to hear that. The next one is 10plus years to go :(

Clouds are always nice to shoot at. There's plenty to go around ;) This is what I am trying to do at the moment. Will post once I have something presentable.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

invicktion
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2012

May 27, 2012 22:10 |  #1938

I'm thinking about purchasing some welding glass but what shade would you guys recommend? I'm thinking about doing 1-2 minute long exposures and on ebay the 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 are all pretty much the same price.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/spaied/ (external link)

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 27, 2012 22:16 |  #1939

invicktion wrote in post #14493474 (external link)
I'm thinking about purchasing some welding glass but what shade would you guys recommend? I'm thinking about doing 1-2 minute long exposures and on ebay the 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 are all pretty much the same price.

Normally the higher the number the darker it is. But because it only cost me $4/glass. I got a 9 & 12.

My Photographic Gears.

invicktion
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2012

May 27, 2012 22:24 |  #1940

Canajun wrote in post #14493509 (external link)
Normally the higher the number the darker it is. But because it only cost me $4/glass. I got a 9 & 12.

Curious which number do you like and use more?

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 27, 2012 22:30 |  #1941

invicktion wrote in post #14493546 (external link)
Curious which number do you like and use more?

Sorry can't answer your question because so far I've only used the #9. But to be honest with you, #9 is pretty dark. I'm also new in trying this technique.

I'm not sure where you're from. But in Canada you can get them at Princess Auto.

My Photographic Gears.

invicktion
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2012

May 27, 2012 22:37 |  #1942

Canajun wrote in post #14493571 (external link)
Sorry can't answer your question because so far I've only used the #9. But to be honest with you, #9 is pretty dark. I'm also new in trying this technique.

I'm not sure where you're from. But in Canada you can get them at Princess Auto.

Yeah from Canada, not sure if I should get it from ebay or go to a store like princess auto or lowes.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 28, 2012 10:22 |  #1943

invicktion wrote in post #14493601 (external link)
Yeah from Canada, not sure if I should get it from ebay or go to a store like princess auto or lowes.

I bought mine at Lowes and I bought one on eBay. I was told to look at a welding supply store after I bought the first 2. I may buy a couple from the welding supply store by me in the future.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

invicktion
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2012

May 28, 2012 15:27 |  #1944

CameraMan wrote in post #14495387 (external link)
I bought mine at Lowes and I bought one on eBay. I was told to look at a welding supply store after I bought the first 2. I may buy a couple from the welding supply store by me in the future.

So out of the two you have which glass is of higher quality?

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jan 2005

May 28, 2012 16:25 |  #1945

invicktion wrote in post #14496518 (external link)

None of it really, in photographic terms that is :confused:

Its all low quality, disposable, industrial grade glass (mine gets changed and binned every few days at work)
Its very much a hit and miss affair, but for a few pounds (dollars etc) it easily worth trying one and moving to a different suppiler if its no good

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtas (external link)

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 03, 2012 10:29 as a reply to  @ jabtas's post |  #1946

My Welding Filter Holder

Here is a holder I made using aluminum flat stock. I had a hole machined several thousands smaller than the outside diameter of a 58mm filter, heated the aluminum so it would expand, dropped in the filter. I also machined a groove for an o-ring that should seal the glass from light coming in from the side. I did consider different ways to mount the glass, but decided on the simple and quick rubber bands so I could change the glass easily to another shade if I wanted to.

Now I need to get out and use it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 03, 2012 10:33 as a reply to  @ the jimmy's post |  #1947

And the pic of the welding glass attached...

HOSTED PHOTO

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 03, 2012 10:38 |  #1948

invicktion wrote in post #14496518 (external link)

They both have their limitations but I tend to use the one I bought at the store more than I use the one I bought on eBay.

Even though it's a Shade 10 I still use it more than the 12. But I am going to try the #12 right now pointed directly at the sun to see if I'll be able to catch this Venus thing happening on Tuesday. :)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 03, 2012 11:27 |  #1949

Hmmm. We might be able to do this on Tuesday...

400mm lens on a 40D...
1/30 sec, f/32, ISO 100 with a #12 Shade filter on there. You can see some cloud cover which is sort of promising to be able to see the speck of Venus.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7224/7328384446_c2772e0414_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/alanmars/732838​4446/  (external link)
IMG_8492.jpg (external link) by CameraMan65 (external link), on Flickr

I did some slight color correction on this in LR. It was green :)

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 03, 2012 11:33 |  #1950

the jimmy wrote in post #14524345 (external link)
Here is a holder I made using aluminum flat stock. I had a hole machined several thousands smaller than the outside diameter of a 58mm filter, heated the aluminum so it would expand, dropped in the filter. I also machined a groove for an o-ring that should seal the glass from light coming in from the side. I did consider different ways to mount the glass, but decided on the simple and quick rubber bands so I could change the glass easily to another shade if I wanted to.

Now I need to get out and use it.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by the jimmy in
./showthread.php?p=145​24345&i=i100177206
forum: Still Life, B/W & Experimental

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by the jimmy in
./showthread.php?p=145​24345&i=i100254841
forum: Still Life, B/W & Experimental

A fantastic piece of handiwork. Looks quite heavy though, does it stay on the camera ok?

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

729,978 views & 39 likes for this thread
Welding Glass (£1/$1 ND Filter) Exposures
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.