Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 15 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 10:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Welding Glass (£1/$1 ND Filter) Exposures

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 24, 2011 19:28 |  #1456

jabtas wrote in post #13156180 (external link)
I wouldn't be so hasty, it might fall to bits in my hands when I use it
LOL

Is it going to be totally light-sealed? Are you adding any foam or alike to around the edges?

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 25, 2011 02:16 |  #1457

I'm thinking it will be ok, my glass has smooth ground edges so no light gets in to cause internal reflections from that way
When I used it just onto the reversed hood with laccy bands I had no flaring or leakage
Just need to test it now

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtas (external link)

kawboy613
860 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 25, 2011 19:50 |  #1458

here's my quick try....

same place i got the lens (LOWES) for $4.95, I also got a 3" flexible coupler from the plumbing dept (also about $4.95) (similar to the 2"x3" next to it in picture but only straight)...

Cut 1 end off just above the metal strap (shown at GREEN line) and use 100% silicone to attach to the welding lens.

I had originally purchased a 3"x4" thinking this would also act as a hood and maybe help with vignetting, but the it stuck out way too far, so i just used the 3" end and push it all the way onto the camera lens. Haven't gotten to try it yet, but i don't know why it wouldn't work.

probably doesn't need the metal strap, but i'm keeping it on as an added security, and then it only takes a penny and a VERY slight turn to keep it firmly in place.

all for around $10 or less. (granted i already had the silicone at home...)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tim
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Website http://www.bent-treephotography.com (external link) its small right now, but.... it's a start !

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 25, 2011 19:54 |  #1459

kawboy613 wrote in post #13161902 (external link)
here's my quick try....

same place i got the lens (LOWES) for $4.95, I also got a 3" flexible coupler from the plumbing dept (also about $4.95) (similar to the 2"x3" next to it in picture but only straight)...

Cut 1 end off just above the metal strap (shown at GREEN line) and use 100% silicone to attach to the welding lens.

I had originally purchased a 3"x4" thinking this would also act as a hood and maybe help with vignetting, but the it stuck out way too far, so i just used the 3" end and push it all the way onto the camera lens. Haven't gotten to try it yet, but i don't know why it wouldn't work.

probably doesn't need the metal strap, but i'm keeping it on as an added security, and then it only takes a penny and a VERY slight turn to keep it firmly in place.

all for around $10 or less. (granted i already had the silicone at home...)

I'm really quite stunned at the ingenious ways that people are coming up with to attached welding glass to their lenses. :) Nice work! :)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

kawboy613
860 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 25, 2011 20:03 |  #1460

LOL, thanks !

it helps that I'm the maintenance supervisor in an industrial factory, and my boss likes to do a lot of "bandaide repairs" on the cheap, so you learn all the "jimmy rigg" ways of doing things.

not that this is in any way right, but you gotta do as the boss says.... :(

Anyways, just by looking through my new lens, I've already noticed a "blemish" in the welding glass, so i'll probably be buying a new piece and trying this again. So next time, I'll use some black RTV engine gasket silicone that i just found out in my toolbox in the garage. (instead of the white silicone) although the main reason I used the white is because it's the kitchen/bath silicone, so i figured if it'll stick to smooth porcelain (toilet or tub), it'll stick to glass...

Tim
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Website http://www.bent-treephotography.com (external link) its small right now, but.... it's a start !

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 26, 2011 01:41 |  #1461

Liking the Heath Robinson feel to this one
LOL

Who cares how it looks, as long as it works, in fact the more bizarre it looks the more weird looks you get
:lol::lol:

My 'broken' macro lens for example (I know slighly off-topic :rolleyes:)
http://www.pbase.com/j​abtas/image/54399508 (external link)

Tim

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 26, 2011 12:41 as a reply to  @ Anke's post |  #1462

Managed to get out and test my adapted Cokin filter holder, fits great on my Sigma 15-30

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/jabtas/image/138379881.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/jabtas/image/138379879.jpg

But does vignette at the full 15mm, a little zoom or cropping can easily solve that ;)
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/jabtas/image/138381472.jpg

2 Images From Today

45secs @f11
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/jabtas/image/138381338.jpg

60secs @f11
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/jabtas/image/138381337.jpg

Tim

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 27, 2011 01:26 |  #1463

Works lovely, Tim! :)

Loving that second shot.

Anke

MakeMeShutter
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 27, 2011 21:09 as a reply to  @ Anke's post |  #1464

I got out a for about 20 minutes this morning before it started to rain.:(

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

New York Dragonflies (external link)
NYDragonflies.com

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 28, 2011 01:26 |  #1465

Great location, I need to find somewhere like that
Great natural colours and very sharp, how are you processing your shots

Tim

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 28, 2011 03:43 |  #1466

MakeMeShutter wrote in post #13173758 (external link)
I got out a for about 20 minutes this morning before it started to rain.:(

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This is nice. Well processed too.

Anke

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2011 08:31 |  #1467

@ MakeMeShutter.
Great shot, great job of pp..

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 28, 2011 10:43 as a reply to  @ tkerr's post |  #1468

just two shots from the roof...

Mir 1a 37mm M42, 30sec F5.6 ISO 100
Welding Glass DIN 11, glued with bluetak on the flat flange of a 49mm Cokin filter adapter (not the filter holder)
DPP - Eye dropper on a grey surface to bring the colors back.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Some simple photos

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 28, 2011 10:45 |  #1469

Looks like the lens/filterholder/glas​s combo works well together

I also found that DPP works very well with WB correction

Tim

MakeMeShutter
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 29, 2011 10:01 |  #1470

jabtas wrote in post #13174773 (external link)
Great location, I need to find somewhere like that
Great natural colours and very sharp, how are you processing your shots

As far as processing is concerned I will try to break it down a little.

IMPORTANT: Take a normal picture for reference to the colors as seen.

1. I generally take a few exposures of a scene and always have the noise reduction in my camera set to "ON". I find that that saves me valuable time later on, but costs me a bit of time while taking the image.
Note: by turning noise reduction "ON", you are then doubling the time it takes to produce an image. A 3 minute exposure takes 6 minutes because the camera is generating a black frame. Someone may be able to add a bit more to this, but that is the general gist.

2. I view my lightness histogram as the image is produced and adjust from there for future exposures. I also take lighting into consideration during the exposure. Sunlight and Shade make a huge difference in length of exposure. I look for a histogram that represents the scene. I am not always looking for the perfect bell curve that many books and websites preach as perfect exposure. If my scene is dark the curve should be to the left a little, and the opposite is true if the scene is light or a large percentage of it.

3. When I get home I upload the images to my computer.

4. I open the images in Photoshop CS4 and do a simple "Auto Color" from the "Image" drop down screen. At this point I sometimes try the "Auto Tone" feature and see if the image looks better or worse.

5. At this stage I judge the overall colors and sometimes compare them to the original image. --See "IMPORTANT" note above!

6. If I detect any color shift I try to correct it by going to IMAGE-Adjustments-Color Balance and moving the sliders until I find the right blend. All the time comparing it to the original colors. Ocassionally I make a slight Channel Mixer adjustment at this time.

7. I then remove noise, adjust saturation, adjust contrast, and add a small linear curves adjustment to add a bit of punch.

Hope that helps.

New York Dragonflies (external link)
NYDragonflies.com

sponsored links

747,605 views & 40 likes for this thread
Welding Glass (£1/$1 ND Filter) Exposures
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.