Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Oct 2009 (Friday) 00:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recovering Files off Bad Ex HD

justincase724
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 16, 2009 00:59 |  #1

I did a quick search and found a few useful threads on recovering data from a bad external hard drive, but I'm confused by the first few solutions I found by searching on the net. The first four or so solution I found on the net said to "put the drive in the freezer overnight (in a plastic bag to keep out moisture), and when you plug it back in to your computer, pull the files out as quick as you can". To me, that doesn't sound like a smart thing to do, but it seems to be a common solution on the net. Anybody have any experience with this technique? Any other solutions you can suggest?

FLICKr (external link) GEAR

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 16, 2009 01:06 |  #2

That actually does work... believe it or not. However, because of the moisture, it is the very last resort you can take. I've done it and I was able to successfully retrieve files that I could not any other way.

That said, you won't have a very long time until it warms up, so don't think that you're going to be able to clone the whole drive. Your going to have a matter of minutes, so get what you can get, quickly.

Did I say that this is the last resort.. it is .. don't do this until you've tried everything else.

justincase724
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 16, 2009 12:35 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #3

Thanks for the heads up. I've got a new HD and eSATA cable coming on monday, so I'll try pulling the drives out of the bad ex hd and hooking them up directly to the computer, see if I can't pull the files out that way.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 16, 2009 12:44 |  #4

If it's in an external case, most likely it is the case that is the problem and not the hard drive.

Normally hard drives don't suddenly die. There is usually warning signs, heat, noise, or weird glitches.

If the drive truly did die instantly, most likely the only recourse you will have will be expensive recovery services. It probably means the platters touched the arm, or something else bad happened.

If the drive is just going bad, it will make sounds, grinding noise, etc.. which is often the bearings in the platter cylinder. This is a precursor to it's eventual death, but you can beat it to the punch and get your stuff off.

Most external cases are made with the utmost of cheap crappy parts (even some of the expensive cases) so when a drive dies suddenly, most times it's the power unit of the case and not the drive itself.

Anyways, good luck.. and if you do have to resort to the cold treatment, report back and let us know how it goes.

justincase724
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 16, 2009 13:43 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #5

That's what I'm thinking - just the case that's gone bad. The whole thing powers up and I can hear each of the drives start to spin without any wierd noises, but it doesn't communicate correctly with the computer. When it's hooked up, the computer freezes up trying to read the HD and it won't even show that the drive is connected. Then when I disconnect the HD, it quickly shows the drive connected, then goes away, then the computer unfreezes and works properly.

Another question on hooking the drives up directly to the MB. I kind of tried it once (long story) and the drive showed up on the Device Manager, but I couldn't find any way to open it. Any chance that the drives can't be accessed without being connected to the components in the case, or that they can't be accessed seperately (there's two drives in total)?

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 16, 2009 16:54 |  #6

No, there should only be one drive, and unless there is some sort of formatting done to it, it should show up as a normal hard drive. (unless it's been partitioned - basically turned into two or more drives) in which case, it would show up as multiple drives.

jwoods85
304 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 16, 2009 19:52 |  #7

if it's external, why not put it in the freezer , ziplocked really tight/taped... and have it plugged into the computer? You'll have a longer time to pull files off

|| 5D mk II || Sigma 24-70 2.8 II || Sigma 50 1.4 || 50 f1.8 || Sigma 70-200 2.8 || 580EXII with battery pack || http://www.jowofoto.co​m (external link)

dovaka
398 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 16, 2009 20:05 |  #8

jwoods85 wrote in post #8837143 (external link)
if it's external, why not put it in the freezer , ziplocked really tight/taped... and have it plugged into the computer? You'll have a longer time to pull files off

ive actually got a pic somewhere with a motherboard on top of a mini fridge with a bunch of cables going into the freezer when i was trying to recover files for a friend of mine

i own way to much crap to list it all here and try to keep it up to date

jwoods85
304 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 16, 2009 20:17 |  #9

dovaka wrote in post #8837200 (external link)
ive actually got a pic somewhere with a motherboard on top of a mini fridge with a bunch of cables going into the freezer when i was trying to recover files for a friend of mine

lmao. genious.

|| 5D mk II || Sigma 24-70 2.8 II || Sigma 50 1.4 || 50 f1.8 || Sigma 70-200 2.8 || 580EXII with battery pack || http://www.jowofoto.co​m (external link)

justincase724
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 17, 2009 01:42 |  #10

Ha, that would be a fun picture to see. So, did it actually work to get all the files back?

Deejayry
152 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 17, 2009 14:19 |  #11

jwoods85 wrote in post #8837143 (external link)

Good idea, i'd try that first before ripping the enclosure apart,

My previous computer was pretty much a fridge, the CPU, GPU, NB & RAM were all water chilled (using a beer chiller) and the rest of the case had cold air pumped through, the cpu never got hotter than 2 Celsius.

50d & BG-E2N, 10d & BG-ED3, EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Pro, Speedlite 580EX II
Manual lenses: 135mm f/2.8, 200mm f/3.5, 300mm f/5.5 & 400mm f/6.3
Flickr (external link)
Full Kit List

dovaka
398 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 17, 2009 19:45 |  #12

justincase724 wrote in post #8838436 (external link)
Ha, that would be a fun picture to see. So, did it actually work to get all the files back?

i got about 98% of them off but i got 100% of his critical stuff off and before freezing it would only run for maybe a minute or so

i own way to much crap to list it all here and try to keep it up to date

sponsored links

1,519 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recovering Files off Bad Ex HD
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.