Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Oct 2009 (Friday) 14:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

In Manual exposure mode, the meter still uses the set metering mode, right?

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 16, 2009 14:14 |  #1

I normally use manual exposure, but if I understand correctly, the metering needle that floats around is still according to whatever metering mode, right?

That is, if I have it set to Evaluative, the needle should be moving around as if it were using evaluative? And spot for spot, partial for partial, etc?

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Oct 16, 2009 14:16 |  #2

correct

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 16, 2009 14:20 |  #3

krb wrote in post #8835408 (external link)
correct

Thanks, I was just sitting here and I got curious and wanted to confirm.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,020 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 16, 2009 14:31 |  #4

Er, not on the 1 Series,. so I'm not sure it is "correct" since we don't know what camera your shooting.

there are custom functions on the 1 Series that let you decide what metering mode is used for manual regardless of setting,. and by default it does override what you have set.

From memory, I can't recall if other bodies work this way...

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Oct 16, 2009 14:36 |  #5

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8835507 (external link)
Er, not on the 1 Series,. so I'm not sure it is "correct" since we don't know what camera your shooting.

there are custom functions on the 1 Series that let you decide what metering mode is used for manual regardless of setting,. and by default it does override what you have set.

I haven't seen that. Would be nice since I normally use evaluative for Av and spot for M.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 16, 2009 14:37 |  #6

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8835507 (external link)

Interesting. I guess the 1-series has more option regarding the metering in manual.

I thought all cameras were the same, but this makes sense, it being a pro-level camera and all.

I have a 350D, 40D, and 7D, and I think they are all simply set by the user with no options regarding which mode it's in.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 16, 2009 14:39 |  #7

mrkgoo wrote in post #8835541 (external link)
Interesting. I guess the 1-series has more option regarding the metering in manual.

I thought all cameras were the same, but this makes sense, it being a pro-level camera and all.

I have a 350D, 40D, and 7D, and I think they are all simply set by the user with no options regarding which mode it's in.

I guess it would be possible in the 7D to set different metering modes for different shooting modes and register those as custom (C1, C2, C3) shooting modes.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 16, 2009 14:50 |  #8

stsva wrote in post #8835549 (external link)
I guess it would be possible in the 7D to set different metering modes for different shooting modes and register those as custom (C1, C2, C3) shooting modes.

Indeed! I like the custom modes -very handy.

SeanH
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 16, 2009 14:51 |  #9

stsva wrote in post #8835549 (external link)

.....as well as the 40D and up

7D ......waiting on the 5D3
10-22, 17-40 4.0 L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 2 X 580EX's

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,095 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 16, 2009 17:07 as a reply to  @ SeanH's post |  #10

That is correct, and it's also correct that only the 1D series have the specific setting for which metering mode to use when shooting in manual mode.

Anders

sponsored links

1,960 views & 0 likes for this thread
In Manual exposure mode, the meter still uses the set metering mode, right?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.