Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Oct 2009 (Friday) 16:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 50D owner. Long time Nikon user with questions

Click_09
147 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 16, 2009 16:37 |  #1

First off let me say that my wife and I are so excited to learn about all that Canon has to offer us! We are long time Nikon users who just this week made the switch to Canon. While we loved all of our Nikon products and have tons of incredible images from their products, we simply wanted to give Canon a shot. We have owned and tried to master everything from a D50 to the D80,D200, D90, etc. We were pretty familiar with the different metering modes, AF modes, etc. Now that we are looking at the Canon menu's, we are not real sure what works best with different situations. I could go through the D90 menu for example and set everything from A to Z. There is a lot in the 50D menu's that is just different, or at least worded different. Along with the 50D we have an 18-135 IS lens and a 70-200 2.8 lens. My wife does more portraits, kids, and wedding type stuff. I strictly shoot motocross, drag racing, or anything that is fast or has a lot of hp, lol.

I guess my main questions to start with are what metering modes do you guys prefer for portrait vs sports, what AF mode ( I assume one shot focus for portraits and landscape and AI servo for sports), etc. Does this camera tend to overexpose like most Nikons?

If someone could help me with their settings on noise reduction settings and lighting optimizer that would be awesome too.

I know this is a lot. I have searched and searched for complete, detailed, set-up examples on the net but couldn't come across anything. If someone could point me to a website with suggested settings that would be great too. I know in the end I will have to customize things the way I want them but I would just like a really solid starting point.

We never shoot in auto modes. We use AV or TV almost all of the time. I always use auto WB except in florescent lighting. On Nikons Auto WB and ISO were usually dead on. I know how to customize the picture styles and all that too. Thanks for any help you may offer and I look forward to being able to contribute to the site and help you guys with what I know too!

2 Gripped Nikon D700's, 70-200 2.8VR, 35-70 2.8, 28-105 3.5 Macro, SB 600's, Lots of Alien Bees

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,140 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 16, 2009 16:47 |  #2

I wish I could answer more of your questions but I only have the 40d and 30d as backup. Canon's Auto white balance is traditionally not very good, that tradition lives on in the 50d I'm told. I think you will like Canon products.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 16, 2009 16:55 |  #3

Yeah, I'll add that the AWB in my Canons have often been far too cool in general, and far too warm in incandescent lighting.

evilryu530
211 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 16, 2009 17:00 |  #4

i use selective metering mode for portraits. i aim at the skin. for AF, i use AI servo for sports and one shot for portraits. metering mode for sports, i use evaluative. i wouldn't use the awb or auto iso on the 50D. i'd select them manually.

sold it all!

johnbachel
204 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 16, 2009 17:04 |  #5

Regarding the white balance issue, as well as picture styles, I'd encourage you to start shooting in RAW format and do your post processing in Canon's Digital Photo Professional. DPP allows you to take your RAW images and look at how the in camera white balance and picture style settings would have altered your pictures. In addition, DPP provides correction of lens chromatic aberration and barrel and pincushion distortion when in RAW mode.

John

Equipment: 50D, Sigma 17-70 f:2.8-4 OS, Sigma 70-300 OS, Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 strobe.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,265 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 16, 2009 17:04 as a reply to  @ mrkgoo's post |  #6

Evaluative metering sometimes blows the highlights, as it tends to expose to the right. For precise metering, use partial or spot, then lock the value. Or find out the exposure in manual mode and just shoot away. It will not change until you do it.

If you want the best images the camera can give you, then you simply have to shoot RAW. The 7D shows a different approach as far as in-camera jpeg conversion goes, but cameras like the 40D or the 50D don't give their best unless you convert the RAW image in your computer. DPP is very good as a converter, but less optimal for a good workflow.

I second that AWB gives a very warm tone with most lamps. Canon claims the customers want it like that. Customers claim Canon just can't get it right.

Anders

Click_09
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 16, 2009 17:10 |  #7

Thanks for all the info so far guys! I am going to start playing with RAW and see what I think too

2 Gripped Nikon D700's, 70-200 2.8VR, 35-70 2.8, 28-105 3.5 Macro, SB 600's, Lots of Alien Bees

RunAmok
96 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 16, 2009 17:13 |  #8

Definitely subscribing to this thread, as I'm thinking about switching to Canon (with a 50D) as well.

Canon 7D + grip | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | EF 400 f/5.6L
flickr (external link)

johnbachel
204 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 16, 2009 18:12 |  #9

You might also find "Canon EOS 50D Digital Field Guide," by Charlotte K. Lowrie (available from Amazon.com) to be useful. It will give you a feel for how all the controls and settings work on your 50D.

John

Equipment: 50D, Sigma 17-70 f:2.8-4 OS, Sigma 70-300 OS, Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 strobe.

Click_09
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 16, 2009 22:21 |  #10

Going to play around with RAW tomorrow

pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 16, 2009 23:47 |  #11

Congrats, Click...I loved my 50D before I got my 1D MkII.

Definitely shoot in RAW. One thing I didn't see addressed, is your question on exposure. I found my 50D tended to underexpose no matter what metering mode I used. I mostly used spot and evaluative. I always shot in M and just adjusted to exposure +1/3-2/3 to compensate.

Turn in-camera noise reduction off; both high iso and long exposure. I found it did not help and actually made the images noisier. Go figure. I also never used lighting optimizer; I just didn't prefer it. Those are both personal decisions. Just play around with the settings to find what works for you.

Disregard all the nonsense you hear about the high iso. I shot regularly at iso 3200 and 6400. As long as you expose properly, preferrably +1/3-2/3, it'll be fine. You will need to run them through noise reduction software like Neat Image or Noise Ninja. But they clean up really nice! Have fun and enjoy your new camera!

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 17, 2009 01:16 |  #12

congrats on the new camera....
I shoot raw unless being a goof ball and having fun or know i want something really quick.

Agree - turn all noise stuff off.

Meter: i shoot mostly evaluative - or spot when i know i need proper exposure for a person surrounded by high lights or in a really dark area.
And yes the 50D likes to shoot a little hot - not bad for trying to keep the image histogram to the right.

Shoot AV, M, maybe Tv at 1%.

Auto ISO works but be prepared for slower shutter speeds. This would be a sweet feature if you could add some variable to customise. For longer FL - may not work for you.

Just me, I primarily 'one shot' unless i know i might need 'al servo'.

I removed focus from shutter button. Use back button exlusively - love IT!

Auto WB can win and can suck. Switching to sunny or flash help stabilize WB.

I have most used feature on My menu:
Erase
Card format
live view
flash setup
Exposure comp

don't remember default button control - but i have my 'set' button (button inside of scroll wheel) configured to bring up the main screen for camera settings: Av, f-stop, ISO, etc....you can change most items thru screen.
If this is default - i apologizes.

Hope this helps.....
also - shoot weddings and crazy little rug-rats (mine/friends)

-Mark

hammmerhead
312 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 17, 2009 02:10 |  #13

I use AWB almost all the time, but most of my shooting is outdoors. Highlight tone priority and Lighting optimizer are turned off to lower noise. Im at plus one on sharpness and plus one on saturation. I shot RAW for a few months when the camera was new, but dont bother anymore unless the shot is very difficult or very important. Convert your RAW pics with DPP, it seems to handle the 50D data cleaner than other software. I always shoot at ISO 400 or higher unless Im using a tripod or flash. One thing I like about the 50D is its straight forward and the easy menus can be mastered in a couple of days of shooting. I have been drooling over the 7D, but the 50D is still more capable than my skills.

Click_09
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 17, 2009 20:48 |  #14

Did some shooting tonight in RAW at my daughters B-ball game and was really surprised at how well it did with just the pop up flash. We will soon be putting money towards a quality flash after I pick up the 70-200 2.8 this week

I do have a question about DPP... I see that you can basically choose what each pic would look like with a different WB, picture style, etc. I do not see a place to change exposure. I have just been using the brightness control and it seems to work well as they have been coming out really close right off the camera anyway. Also, how do you crop with DPP or is that not an option? Thanks again guys. I will post some pics soon

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 17, 2009 21:10 as a reply to  @ hammmerhead's post |  #15

I've been a Canon DSLR user since 2000 and before that 25 years of Nikon film gear.. I've only had a play with my friend's D200 which I found a nice camera to use,,it smacks of quality..

I've had my 50D for around two months now,, with about 3000 clicks on the clock.. It's a camera that can be a tad fickle if not set up properly..

Auto focus micro adjustment : The 50D needs some AF Micro adjustment with many lenses.. Do some tests at full aperture and adjust if needed.. I only shoot in One Shot or AI Servo..

Metering : I mainly use Evaluative metering and spot metering when lighting is tricky.. Disable Auto ISO and set these manually..

RAW or sRaw1 : Both file sizes will produce outstanding results but RAW is best if you need to do any major cropping..

Low light/High ISO : My 50D is the best camera I've owned/used for low light/high ISO photography.. 1600 ISO is outstanding, 3200 ISO if needed..Disable High ISO Noise Reduction, High Tone Priority and Auto Lighting Optimizer.. These settings are best fine tuned via post processing..

Exposure : Get it right in the camera and do minimal post processing.. If you try to bring up your shadows you will get noise in these areas.. For me it's best to allow the shadows to go black but try to render the highlights accurately..

Digital Photo Professional (DPP) : Use this programme to aquire your images, do minor adjustments and convert to Jpeg.. Use a good quality editing programme for any further editing.. I use CS2..

Custom functions : There are heaps of custom functions on the 50D and how you set these up is upto your own needs.. Read your User's Guide..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sponsored links

5,340 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 50D owner. Long time Nikon user with questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.