Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Oct 2009 (Friday) 17:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the point of registering a battery info?

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 16, 2009 17:40 |  #1

Sorry about the multiple threads, I did a quick search and didn't find anything. I'm just trying to figure out a bunch of the new features that I'm not familiar with.

On the 7D, you can register battery info. This seems to register a serial no. and remaining capacity. What is the purpose of this? Is it to keep track of which batteries are potentially empty? Obviously the camera won't know if it has been charged.

I notice it keeps track of 'health' of the battery, but does registering a battery help in this, or is that information come format eh battery itself?

I guess it requires a compatible battery with the technology built-in (i.e. official Canon LP-E6).

Which cameras allow you to do this?

sponsored links
artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 16, 2009 17:59 |  #2

Starting to sound like the Printer companies that chip their ink cartridges to try and prevent third party sales.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

cicopo
Goldmember
3,485 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 16, 2009 18:14 |  #3

My understanding is that the camera reads info from the microchip on the battery to monitor everything about each battery registered. It began with the 5D2 and the idea is that after a few charge / discharge cycles the camera will be able to predict with some accuracy just how many shots each battery can provide when you go into that menu. The camera should know which battery is in use, and how quickly it discharges in use, which should lead to the camera being able to warn you a bit ahead of time that you've only got "lets say" an hour or so of usable charge under current use conditions.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 16, 2009 18:26 |  #4

Hmmm. Ok, so it's basically for a more accurate reading?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 16, 2009 18:35 |  #5

cicopo wrote in post #8836760 (external link)
My understanding is that the camera reads info from the microchip on the battery to monitor everything about each battery registered. It began with the 5D2 and the idea is that after a few charge / discharge cycles the camera will be able to predict with some accuracy just how many shots each battery can provide when you go into that menu. The camera should know which battery is in use, and how quickly it discharges in use, which should lead to the camera being able to warn you a bit ahead of time that you've only got "lets say" an hour or so of usable charge under current use conditions.

I think it began with the MKIII actually. However, I was able to use the aftermarket batteries with the MKIII, it looks like Canon gets a little more elaborate each generation of this.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,134 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 16, 2009 22:19 |  #6

cicopo wrote in post #8836760 (external link)

Almost, but not quite. The camera contains a mini-analyzer that measures how the battery power falls in a given battery during battery use and then how the rate of discharge per shot in that battery increases from charge to charge. In that way, it can predict when the battery is about to fail.

Considering the extra drain on batteries caused by video and the more useful Live View, this is a nice feature to have. It allows me to cut the number of batteries I keep on and by a third because I don't have to fear being surprised by taking a battery off a charger and having it fail on me in mid-session.

There are at least two 3rd party work-alike batteries on the market (although they may be from the same maker under different import brands). Now that the 7D proves this is Canon's direction, I expect more will come. It also proves Canon did not pull any encryption tricks.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links

4,186 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the point of registering a battery info?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.