Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Oct 2009 (Friday) 23:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newbie Dog Photo. Looking for Input

Jason ­ L
173 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 16, 2009 23:42 |  #1

Last month I discovered photography. My experience up until then was with an old HP 3MP point and shoot. I have recently graduated to a SX10is, with plans on picking up my first dSLR after the new year.

No crop, slight level adjustment and re sized for attachment. Any and all criticism or pointers are more than welcome! I am eager to learn as much as possible.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i157.photobucke​t.com/albums/t42/tyabu​x/ashcc.jpg (external link)

My Website (external link)
Gear and Feedback

sponsored links
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Oct 17, 2009 00:12 |  #2

Jason,

Welcome to the boards. We hope that you stick around and become and active participant.

On to the shot - bad news first:

I really really want to like this shot, but I just don't.

There are a couple of reasons - first, the rock competes with the dog in a fight over who should be the subject. The rock doesn't win this fight, but there should be no competition anywhere. Second, the bright areas are too bright - lots of places, but it is the worst on his left face. The term we use is "blown out". That is what happens when the white areas are so bright, they lose all texture. Third, I don't care for the green chin. Fortunately that is an easy fix in Photoshop. Fourth, the poor fella's eyes have just disappeared. You can barely see them. That makes it a less appealing dog shot for me.

Now, that being said, not all critique points out flaws. Critique also included making mention of what was done right. First, foremost, and most importantly, you managed to avoid the "looking down on the animal" perspective that far too many photographers (new and experienced) fall in to. You had the vision or perception to get down to the dog's level. When you do that, that brings the viewer into the animals world, rather than looking down on to it. Well done!

One way to fix the blown highlights is to (counter-intuitively) use the flash. A flash would brighten up the darker areas, which means that you can use a smaller aperture setting, which would keep the highlights from blowing.

Keep at it. This is very much a "nearly there" shot. You should be lucky that you have such an agreeable dog, so uou could re-shoot without much hassle.

The next thing worth mention is you choice for such a beautiful background. Next time, move a bit to the left - that would get the rock out of the way.

Very nice debut. Looking back now, I wish my first post was somewhere. My first shot was total crap.

Well, cya Monday.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

kj77263
285 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 17, 2009 08:03 |  #3

Oversaturated... maybe?

brandonink2001
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 17, 2009 09:28 as a reply to  @ kj77263's post |  #4

First of all, congratulations! My little ankle-biter won't sit still long enough for me to get such a focused image.

Strengths of your image: good focus on dog, I like the colors deeply saturated. It is an effect, though, so if you were going for accurate colors, it probably is too strong.

Opportunities for next outing: in a portrait, a background that is not designed to place the subject in its environment, I prefer more blur, so an aperture of 3.5 or larger would be my choice. I agree with the comment about the rock. Either pose the dog on the rock or eliminate it from the image. Finally, I am not sure how I feel about the crop. Part of the dog's hindquarter leaves me wanting either more (full body) or less (head and shoulders).

You clearly have a great eye and will enjoy and benefit from more practice. As will I! Off to shoot now. You have inspired me to go try some things.

Say unto others as you would have them say unto you.

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 17, 2009 11:51 |  #5

A potentialy good image has been spoilt by turning all the sliders up to 11 in photoshop. Sometimes less is more. However as other posters have also stated, you have the potential to produce extraordinary photos.

My Flickr (external link)

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 17, 2009 12:54 |  #6

If you turn on your "Image Editing OK" setting people can show you some ideas for cropping or post-processing that you might like.

BTW, looks like a very nice dog! :)

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 17, 2009 13:01 |  #7

Rad gave a nice critique. The first thing I notice is the green on the dogs mouth.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Jason ­ L
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 17, 2009 17:03 |  #8

Thanks for the tips. Like I said, I am really new to this and I appreciate every shred of info I can get.

I didn't set this shot up in any way, I was outside having a coffee and just snapped a quick pic before she moved. I will try to recreate this photo with the above suggestions and see what improvements I can make.

As far a saturation goes, I didn't touch a thing. But I did use auto levels in photoshop. Fall in Northern Ontario is really quite vibrant, and early this year. The grass looks unnatural though, which may be caused by over exposing?

Here is the original image, resized for display; nothing else changed.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i157.photobucke​t.com …s/t42/tyabux/or​iginal.jpg (external link)

Is it best to photograph a black dog in the shade? I am having a difficult time exposing without blowing out the areas with adequate light.

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

Jay

Gear and Feedback

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 17, 2009 17:33 |  #9

Black dogs are tough to shoot. Getting your exposure just right is the first challenge. I would suggest shade with a reflector or flash.
My first suggestion is that you do set up the shot. If the dog will stay on command, you are miles ahead.
In this shot, if you had moved to the right a fair amount, the dog would have followed you with it's eyes and face and you would not have had the deep shadows around the eyes, face and bodies. Try to get the light coming over one of your shoulders, but still not right behind you. The overexposure is still a problem though.
Your camera's meter will treat your exposure as if it is 18% gray. So... you need to compensate on black objects by underexposing a little. Though expensive, an incident meter is the absolute cure for these problems. If you can shoot RAW, you should do so. Spend a few minutes with the dog and see what you can get done.
BTW... this shot does look over saturated.
Keep shooting! Hope I helped.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

Jason ­ L
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 17, 2009 17:43 |  #10

Thanks for the help! I have a lot of stuff to try for the next time I shoot.

I think I have figured out the saturation issue. The Vivid Colour setting was on, and has been for at least a week or more...

Thanks to CHDK I can now shoot RAW! Lots of reading to do...

Jay

Gear and Feedback

sponsored links

1,232 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newbie Dog Photo. Looking for Input
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.