Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Oct 2009 (Saturday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you like your own photos you suck.

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 17, 2009 21:51 |  #1

The title is kinda harsh, but hear me out. I was talking with a fellow photographer and we came up with this theory, there are always exceptions though so keep this in mind.

The theory is this: As a photographer, if you are in love with your work and think every photo you take is pure gold there is a strong suggestion that you're really not that great. Whereas if you don't like most (if any) of your own work then you are actually quite awesome.

Of course there are some people that take crap photos and think they suck, and there are also some people that take amazing photos and they know it... they are the exception. I'm talking about general masses here, I have seen far too many photographers with underexposed blurry photos that are over photoshopped and (in my opinion) are sub par images that think their work belongs in GQ and on billboards. On the other side, I have also seen photographers that take AMAZING photos and always find something wrong with them.

Your thoughts?

sponsored links
mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 17, 2009 21:54 |  #2

I am in love with some of my work,

I also don't like some of my work

There's a fine line. You have to realize what you're doing right and keep building upon it, as well as what you aren't doing. It's okay to like your work. What's NOT okay is to like your work and not listen to feedback that others give.

A few of my shots I have taken and I know that they are great photos, I like them, a lot of people like them. Could they be improved? Yes, but that doesn't stop me from liking them.

Your post is just far too much of a sweeping generalization.

Edit:

I also realized this. You have to like your photos. If not, what the hell are you doing it for? It's one thing to strive to improve, but it's another to hate all your photos because they aren't perfect.

It's okay to like your work.

On second thought, maybe I suck because I like my work. I don't know, you tell me. www.mpkelley.com (external link) - lol!

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

DaveSt
407 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 17, 2009 22:04 as a reply to  @ mikekelley's post |  #3

I'm going to call BS on this one. I think most of my pictures stink because, well, most of my pictures stink, that's just the way it is. On the other hand, browsing through some of the photo sub-forums here I see some mind-blowingly awesome photos and I bet the people that took them know they are.

Dave

[30D] [Sigma 30 f/1.4] [50 f/1.8] [EF-S 60] [EF-S 15-85IS] [EF-S 55-250IS] [Sigma EF-500 DG Super]

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 17, 2009 22:12 |  #4

Whoah - what a topic header Chris.... strong stuff.

My stuff falls into two categories: the pay jobs like weddings, social events, that sort of thing. Sure, I do the best I can and enjoy a lot of the shots, but it's really what the client thinks.

And then there's the "fine art" stuff where I work to please me. I really like about 6% of that, plus or minus a little. In other words, for every hundred or so shots I take, I'm happy if there are 5 - 10 that are printable for exhibition, museum submission, competition.... that sort of thing. I think there are times when I produce some very nice, gratifying work. But awesome? That's an adjective for other folks to brand about.

And in both arena's I know a crappy shot when I create it :lol: - Stu

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 17, 2009 22:31 |  #5

What if I hate everyone elses photos?

That must make me super pro

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,692 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 17, 2009 22:42 |  #6

Well, if I didn't like any of the images I took, I'd probably quit shooting.

Broad generalizations (such as the title of this thread) are rarely correct.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 17, 2009 22:44 |  #7

Or..... maybe you hate photos that are really good? Out of a bit of jealousy and envy :lol:? I've been in "that place" a bit.... and then realize the silliness of it. But then I examine that other work, emotionally, aesthetically and critically. And I try to take away from it something positve and constructive that will enable me to improve my own craft.

mikekelley wrote in post #8842644 (external link)

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 17, 2009 22:46 |  #8

mikekelley wrote in post #8842644 (external link)

:lol::lol::lol:

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

Jon ­ Foster
is it safe?
4,517 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 17, 2009 23:59 |  #9

Hmm... I dunno. I'm pretty sure lots of my pictures suck. Every once in a while I take a picture I'm pretty happy with. I have people tell me they love my work and most of the time I don't think the work they are praising is very good or exceptional in any way etc. But as long as others like what I'm doing for the most part I guess I'm almost happy with it too. But no matter how much I like a shot I still feel like I could do better.

Jon.

I shoot with a Little Canon

Check out my photos @ PBase.com (external link) & ModelMayhem.com (external link)

wyofizz
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 18, 2009 00:16 as a reply to  @ Jon Foster's post |  #10

I think, you think too much :confused:

Dave - Fuzzy Hashing makes me itch.

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 18, 2009 00:41 |  #11

chrismallet wrote in post #8842453 (external link)
The theory is this: As a photographer, if you are in love with your work and think every photo you take is pure gold there is a strong suggestion that you're really not that great.

Your thoughts?

My thought is that I don't believe such a photographer exists.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

reddyroc007
809 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 18, 2009 00:49 |  #12

I'm in love with some of the work i see here on POTN!!! so much that i wish they were mines....

chris :cool:
gear: 450D w/kung-fu grip, 18-55mm IS, 50mm 1.8, 100-300L, 24-70L, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 580EXII
flickr (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 18, 2009 00:54 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

I love my photography

It's why i create it..If I like it, then surely someone else has to. I've got pretty difficult to please tastes when it comes to nature photography, amazingly. I create pictures for myself to enjoy, and if other people do too...goody.

I try to show people what I see and do so at the highest quality possible.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 18, 2009 01:16 as a reply to  @ Karl Johnston's post |  #14

Firstly,,suck what or who??

I like my keepers and the ones on my website,,some I actually love..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2009 01:16 |  #15

Worst logic ever.

Gear List
ACCD

sponsored links

6,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you like your own photos you suck.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.