Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 18 Oct 2009 (Sunday) 10:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First go with a light pollution filter

MintMark
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 18, 2009 10:43 |  #1

Here's a first picture with an Astronomik CLS filter. It's one light frame (1 minute, f2.8, ISO800), dark frames subtracted and then just stretched. It's not far above the horizon. I deliberately made it lighter than I normally would so you can see the colours. The sky comes out green blue instead of red brown and I'm sure I can expose for much longer without the sky getting too bright. The brightest stars are blown out though.

What doesn't really show in the full picture is the colours of the stars. At full size they are quite blue and green with red fringes around the bright stars. I've attached a 100% crop. If I try and achieve a neutral colour balance I end up with pink stars. Same thing happens if I try background subtraction.

Any tips on processing these images?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

sponsored links
VIGER
425 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 18, 2009 11:58 |  #2

Hi Mark

To best help you I would need the RAW file(s)

A+

Michel

Michel
Perception is reality
Canon 7D. - 5DmkII . 20D IR 10D - Canon 10-22mm - Canon 17-40mm L. 50mm 100mm /100mm macro , 200mm L ,70-200mm L Canon 400mm L - Takahahsi Mewlon 210. SkyWatcher 120ED

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,420 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 18, 2009 14:06 as a reply to  @ VIGER's post |  #3

You could start by shooting a white card in daylight through the filter.

Steve.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 18, 2009 15:05 |  #4

White balance does get a little funky with these filters, because they remove part of the visible spectrum in the red/orange/yellow area I think. That's why you're seeing green/blue bias. I haven't gone back to really giving mine a workout, but my intention was to do what Steve mentions and do a custom white balance with the filter in the camera while I shoot a white balance card in daylight. I white sheet of paper might be near enough for you, but make sure you don't overexpose it.

If the stars are brighter, ie close to white/saturation, and the bg is blue/green, if you adjust for the bg to be neutral, that will make your stars pinkish I guess. Not sure if you're using curves, but I'd suggest learning them. You should be able to adjust the colour cast of the bg just at the dark/shadow end of the histogram and keep the lighter end the same. Heaps of control.

It's very easy to blow out stars with DSLRs. It's all about controlling your exposures, maybe utilising HDR type methodology.

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

MintMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 20, 2009 14:54 as a reply to  @ troypiggo's post |  #5

OK, I've had another go at this and I'm much happier with the results this time. This is using pixinsight LE by the way. To start with I generated a backgound using DBE and subtracted it from the image (with rescaling) to leave me with a flat background.

Before, I was trying to achieve colour balance by using the histogram tool and getting all the peaks lined up. I'm sure I saw that in a tutorial somewhere. This time I used the curves for each channel. I found the threshold value between sky and stars for each channel and used contol points there to allow me to adjust above and below that value independently. Thanks for the suggestion Troy!

This let me adjust the bottom end of the curves to achieve a grey background. Then I adjusted the top end of the curve to tone down the red fringes on the bright stars. After that I adjusted the overall RGB/K curve to enhance the contrast.

That's pretty much it. There are still a lot of faint stars that are blue and green, but looking at the pixels there is just very little red information there. I need to work on the star colours some more...

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

DSLR ­ AstroMod
219 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 21, 2009 03:39 |  #6

Much better Mark, well done on the reprocess, looks like DBE is your freind ;)

MintMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 21, 2009 14:29 as a reply to  @ DSLR AstroMod's post |  #7

Yes, DBE is good. I was hoping that with the light pollution filter I wouldn't need to use it. Next time I have clear sky I want to do some with and without filter comparisons to see how much improvement there is in terms of reduced sky gradient. I suppose there will always be vignetting from the lens to get rid of... perhaps I should start taking flats.

BTW, it looks like pixinsight LE isn't available any more. That's a shame. I started using it mainly because it could process images in 16 and 32 bit depths.

Mark

Closed ­ 123
512 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 21, 2009 15:42 |  #8
bannedPermanently

That's a great improvement, well done!

Canon EOS 80D
Canon 10-18mm STM | Canon 24-70mm f/4 | Canon 50mm STM
Canon Speedlite 430EX II

08GT
37 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 22, 2009 10:05 as a reply to  @ Closed 123's post |  #9

Looks real good.. I like it !! What is DBE???? It looks like I need this for some of my pics...

Canon T1i (Cannon EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L /Canon EF 50mm 1:1.4 /Canon EF 70-200mm 1:4 L USM / Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 USM / Canon EF S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS / BG-E5 Grip / Quantaray QSX-9502TMBK Tri-Monopod)Any and all input is welcome :)

MintMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 23, 2009 07:26 as a reply to  @ 08GT's post |  #10

DBE is a feature in an image processing package called pixinsight. It stands for Dynamic Background Extraction. It lets you interactively indicate areas of the image that are background sky (rather than stars or nebulae) and then it generates a synthetic background from your selected points.

If you subtract the background from your image it removes the combined effects of light pollution (sky gradient) and vignetting (darker corners).

Mark

sponsored links

3,104 views & 0 likes for this thread
First go with a light pollution filter
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.