Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 18 Oct 2009 (Sunday) 10:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Spot the planet

MintMark
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 18, 2009 10:59 |  #1

Here is an excerpt from a picture I took last month. It contains two planets... Jupiter is obvious, but can you find the other one? The only clue is that the picture was taken in mid September...

It's a stack of 28x5s f2.8 ISO 1600 light frames, 23 dark frames, 50mm focal length.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

sponsored links
Catanonia
968 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 18, 2009 13:04 |  #2

Uranus on the left..

MY NEW WEBSITE : www.portrait-universe.com (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,618 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 18, 2009 14:09 |  #3

Most stars on the left side are blue but Uranus looks like it's far left side about middle ways by itself .

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 18, 2009 14:54 |  #4

I was gonna go with Neptune. It's been close to Jupiter for a bit lately. Would be far left on the edge of screen, 1/4 way up?

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 18, 2009 15:11 |  #5

I'm thinking Neptune or Uranus too, since I seem to recall seeing it was going to be in conjunction with Jupiter not long ago. And it's either just above and to the right, or about a cm from the left and 5/6ths up from the bottom, or that one about a cm down and two inches in from the left.

Or, looks like there might be something right slap-bang next to Jupiter...is that the other planet??

EDIT: Stellarium is a fantastic piece of software, isn't it?! Just checked it.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,420 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 18, 2009 17:13 as a reply to  @ Adrena1in's post |  #6

And you took it on the 12th. :)
Cartes du Ciel is pretty good too.

Steve.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

VIGER
425 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 18, 2009 17:54 |  #7

Hi

Neptune was the closest planet to Jupiter in that time frame. However from the exif of the picture get me the time and date and location you were observing ...

Voila : )

Michel
Perception is reality
Canon 7D. - 5DmkII . 20D IR 10D - Canon 10-22mm - Canon 17-40mm L. 50mm 100mm /100mm macro , 200mm L ,70-200mm L Canon 400mm L - Takahahsi Mewlon 210. SkyWatcher 120ED

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,420 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 18, 2009 18:56 as a reply to  @ VIGER's post |  #8

If only there was EXIF data. :-)

Steve.

MintMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 19, 2009 14:12 as a reply to  @ SteveInNZ's post |  #9

OK, I think you got it. It's Neptune and the picture was taken on 12th September. Here it is highlighted. I took the picture because I wanted to see if it was possible to detect a more distant planet with just a camera and a lens. Yes it is, but only if you know where to look :)

The chart I used to find it exactly is at http://media.skyandtel​escope.com …ents/Uranus_Nep​tune09.pdf (external link) You can really zoom in to the pdf to match up the fainter stars. The other blob right next to Jupiter is one of the moons.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,618 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 19, 2009 17:03 |  #10

I looked it up on 09-16-09 at 11:56pm and this is what Cartes Du Ceil shows . Almost identical to your real image .

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,420 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 19, 2009 18:36 as a reply to  @ Celestron's post |  #11

But Jupiter will be in the wrong place. Neptune moves slowly compared to Jupiter.
I was going to try and determine the time from the positions of the Jovian moons but I don't think they are resolved well enough. It would also indicate that I really need to get out more often. :)

Steve

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,618 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 19, 2009 20:38 |  #12

Right now and for awhile Neptue will be close to Jupiter this season . Neptue does not move like the other planets do mainly cause Uranus and Neptune is farther away .

sponsored links

1,379 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spot the planet
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.