Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 18 Oct 2009 (Sunday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pilots at work...post your favorite!

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,929 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 08, 2011 07:23 |  #241

Some folks assume that the Blues and T-Birds are flying the newest jets out there, but in reality, both teams are flying some of the oldest jets of the type in their respective inventory. They have bells and whistles to some extent, but for the most part, they still have the old steam-gage instrumentation, and not the fancy glass that can now be found in the newer versions of the jets . . .

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

sponsored links
Gary ­ McDuffie
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 08, 2011 07:56 |  #242

And that's a good thing, per my limited knowledge. Old steam gauges are quicker and easier to read and more predictable.

Gary
"I'm not much of an artist, but I like to document certain things that I see."
----------
5DII, 7D, some L, Manfroto one and three legged devices, shooting & learning bit by bit via POTN

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,929 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 08, 2011 09:40 |  #243

Gary McDuffie wrote in post #11800586 (external link)
And that's a good thing, per my limited knowledge. Old steam gauges are quicker and easier to read and more predictable.

Actually the better answer is "it depends". The newer glass displays have greater reliability (from a mean time between failure perspective), and have been specifically designed from a human factors perspective to provide information to the pilot in a more effective manner, with more info available continuously. However, all these benefits are based on a purely objective analysis. Given two individuals who get trained on the two different "systems", the digital display trained pilot will have better situational awareness, etc. The problem happens (and this is where your comment likely comes from), when those who are trained in one environment must cross-over to the other one. How you were trained, and what your are used to have a huge impact on how well you do in the other environment.

I know of a military crash where a plane was recently upgraded from one form of instrumentation to a more modern form, and when a serious emergency occured, the pilot who was very experienced in the "old format", was seriously handicapped by his unfamiliarity with the new display formats.

I have always thought that planes should have a wide and flexible color multi-function display, and then let the pilot decide how he wants his data displayed. If he likes round-dial stuff, select that type of display. If he likes strip displays, he can select that. I think that he could lay out his personalized display with any combination of supporting data surrounding his choice of format, and have a custom display he is likes best. That would, IMO, be the ultimate advantage and flexibility of a fully digital aircraft backbone.

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

Gary ­ McDuffie
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 08, 2011 10:35 |  #244

I'd have to agree on the "upbringing" part of that for sure. I learned on old gauges. I think I would have trouble converting (especially as I have put on many years since then).

Being able to recognize a situation at a glance is key in being able to handle emergencies. If you have to glance at the gauge and then make sure you are 'converting' that correctly in your brain, precious time can be lost.

Take the simple clock. Glance at a normal round clock, and most people instantly know what time it is. Try that with a digital clock. You have to stop and READ the numbers on the digital clock and then digest them to know what time it is. I've had almost exclusively digital clocks in my life since the 70s. Even today, it is faster glancing at an analog clock.

In the glass cockpit, is there extra lag time in things, like there is in car computer systems? That's one thing that turns me off. I think some of the car systems are running on processors scrounged from old Commodore's. :)

Gary
----------
5DII, 7D, some L, Manfroto one and three legged devices, shooting & learning bit by bit via POTN

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 08, 2011 10:42 as a reply to  @ Gary McDuffie's post |  #245

Haven't flown behind glass but simulator experience has shown me the benefit of being able to get an overall SA snapshot off a PFD Vs having to scan.

I agree with the notion of "upbringing" though. Plus, steam gauges won't throw a BSOD at you...! ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Gary ­ McDuffie
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 08, 2011 10:47 |  #246

I shudder when I see those Ford commercials for the car that runs Microsoft. Yikes!

Gary
----------

JHutch
595 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 08, 2011 10:50 |  #247

Gary McDuffie wrote in post #11801545 (external link)
I shudder when I see those Ford commercials for the car that runs Microsoft. Yikes!

I felt sickened when I saw the facebook status update car during the superbowl...

D700+Voigtlander 40mm+Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 ai-s

ryanapem
664 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 08, 2011 11:05 |  #248

I'll agree with you here, I think it is natural and understandable that people will do better using equipment they are familiar with. However, on a specific note I disagree with you:

golfecho wrote in post #11801099 (external link)
Given two individuals who get trained on the two different "systems", the digital display trained pilot will have better situational awareness, etc.

I don't think it is safe to make a broad statement like that. In fact, with regards to instrument flying (where situational awareness is CRITICAL) I'd say it is safer to say the opposite, that a steam-gauge pilot has more situational awareness. Learning on steam gauges brutally forces you to constantly keep track of your SA, thus making the pilot more aware and developing that skill. In the glass world, all that information is clearly, understandable and effectively given to you. It really takes very little thought and effort to keep up with SA in a glass airplane. I guess I'd sum it up as pilot-for-pilot, the steam pilot will be more aware, while equipment wise the glass airplane provides more situational awareness. Just my thoughts.

-Ryan
I spend too much on flying to have much equipment worth listing!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 08, 2011 11:19 as a reply to  @ ryanapem's post |  #249

It's interesting to me how far down the flying ladder "systems management" has crept.

Amazing to think that in something as simple as a Skyhawk, "George" can now fly a coupled approach and all pilot has to do is monitor the system (and be ready to hand fly at the first sign of deviation of course...)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

cupra103
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 27, 2011 21:49 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #250

Neptune

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i59.photobucket​.com …own/Aircraft/IM​G_0209.jpg (external link)

Cupra
(It's a Seat, the car not the chair!)
My Flickr (external link)

Leeuwarden
398 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 28, 2011 01:35 as a reply to  @ cupra103's post |  #251

Do you have a picture of the whole Neptune?
This looks like it is not one of those firefighting Neptunes.
Can you tell something about this one?

The Netherlands
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/24454328@N03/ (external link)

cupra103
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 28, 2011 01:38 |  #252

Leeuwarden wrote in post #11927610 (external link)
Do you have a picture of the whole Neptune?
This looks like it is not one of those firefighting Neptunes.
Can you tell something about this one?

look here

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1006519

cheers

Phil

Cupra
(It's a Seat, the car not the chair!)
My Flickr (external link)

Leeuwarden
398 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 28, 2011 01:39 as a reply to  @ cupra103's post |  #253

Thanks!

The Netherlands
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/24454328@N03/ (external link)

RFDGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 06, 2011 00:19 |  #254

Time to resurect this thread!!

Mace of Viper West making sure his G suit works..

http://i79.photobucket​.com …ndGen78/Viper11​024C-3.jpg (external link)

Snort doing what Snort does...this time in a the Heavy Metal Mig-17

http://i79.photobucket​.com …d2ndGen78/Metal​31024C.jpg (external link)

www.airshowstuff.com (external link)
50D... 40D.....100-400mmL...Sigma 17-70mm...430EX Flash...Canon GL2 Video Camera

Buttkicker
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Aug 06, 2011 03:57 |  #255

A few for this thread seen as its nearly 2 years since I last posted in here

IMAGE: http://www.chrisprocter.com/Airplanes/Air-Ambulance-for-Matt/i-mB4bDDR/0/XL/G-AXKX-2-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.chrisprocter.com/Airplanes/Air-Ambulance-for-Matt/i-fzSjZGd/0/XL/Gun-chopper-1-XL.jpg

Top Marks for anyone who can identify this aircraft
IMAGE: http://www.chrisprocter.com/Aircraft2011/Breighton/G-BAAD/1233750011_f24hE-XL-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.chrisprocter.com/Aircraft2011/Breighton/i-WHp5wrr/0/XL/G-ECAN-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.chrisprocter.com/Aircraft2011/RAF-Leeming/SAS-Rope-training/1229917852_uvnZg-X2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.chrisprocter.com/Aviation-2009/Bowland-Forest-Gliding-Club/CRIS1332/627553381_X9z3w-XL.jpg

regards
Chris

5D3 - 1 Dmk2N - 40D - 24-70 F2.8 - 85mm 1.8 - 70-200mm F2.8IS - - 200mm F1.8 - Canon 400mm F5.6 - Canon 430ex111 - Yongnuo 6ooexRT - Nissin 866 - PW Flex/Mini - New Purchases pending :lol:
http://www.airteamimag​es.com/chris-procter_pid42.html (external link)

sponsored links

427,469 views & 1,136 likes for this thread
Pilots at work...post your favorite!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.