Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Oct 2009 (Monday) 09:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Hood shapes

slkfis
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 19, 2009 09:53 |  #1

I could not find this discussed by searching the topic. Why are some hoods scalloped and others solid?

Is there an advantage to either shape?

thxs

slkfis
Bob

Canon 40D
28-135 KIt --- 70-200mm IS 2.8
As I learn to add, I will!

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 19, 2009 09:56 |  #2

It depend on the angle of view of the lens. A tele with it's narrow field of view can use a non-scalloped hood as it will not cause vignetting in the corners. The wider the AOV, the more likely that the corner of the frame will be impacted if a non scalloped hood were used.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 19, 2009 11:03 |  #3

I posted this a while back...you might find it interesting...
https://photography-on-the.net …ghlight=Olympus​+lens+hood

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 19, 2009 11:59 |  #4

The hood is designed to give optimum coverage against incident light. Ideally, for any focal length, the perfect hood would be something that extends as far to the subject as possible without blocking light to the subject.

Why the petal shaped hoods? Think about how a lens projects an image on the sensor - it's a circle. the sensor only captures a rectangular crop of that circle. As such, the corners of the image are closer to the edge of that circle, and so hoods that extend too far would start to block corner light. Basically put, a petal hood is just a round hood with the corners cut out.

Likewise, the top and bottom petals are often longer than the side ones because the image taken is rectangular - that is the top and bottom of the image is further from the image circle than the sides, so you can get away with longer top and bottom portions.

There's no better or worse, really. A petal hood is more optimised for the image format, and typically used for wider angle lenses. It depends on your sensor size as to what is optimum.

Volker ­ Boehme
60 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 19, 2009 14:47 as a reply to  @ mrkgoo's post |  #5

Hi,

if the hood attachement turns during focussing, there's no use to make a petal-shaped hood. You'll get a circular hood that's the lowes common denominator then.

Best regards,
Volker

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,408 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 19, 2009 15:57 as a reply to  @ Volker Boehme's post |  #6

As explained by mrkgoo and Volker Boehme, ideally every lens would have its appropriate length of petal-shapped hood, but for economic and design compromises that make round hoods feasible.

Moreover, because APS-C is a center-crop of the 24x36mm format regular EF lenses are designed for, those lenses could and should actually have petal hoods 1.6x longer when used on APS-C cameras. Unfortunately, no manufacturer seems to have caught on to this.

There are, however, a couple of charts on the web that identify hoods for longer Canon lenses that can be used on shorter Canon lenses when they are mounted on APS-C cameras.

I know that the Tokina hood for their 28-75 zoom fits like a glove onto the Tamron 17-35mm zoom, which is ideal when that zoom is used on an APS-C camera.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 19, 2009 17:29 |  #7

RDKirk wrote in post #8852775 (external link)
As explained by mrkgoo and Volker Boehme, ideally every lens would have its appropriate length of petal-shapped hood, but for economic and design compromises that make round hoods feasible.

Moreover, because APS-C is a center-crop of the 24x36mm format regular EF lenses are designed for, those lenses could and should actually have petal hoods 1.6x longer when used on APS-C cameras. Unfortunately, no manufacturer seems to have caught on to this.

There are, however, a couple of charts on the web that identify hoods for longer Canon lenses that can be used on shorter Canon lenses when they are mounted on APS-C cameras.

I know that the Tokina hood for their 28-75 zoom fits like a glove onto the Tamron 17-35mm zoom, which is ideal when that zoom is used on an APS-C camera.

Well, I assume the EF-S lens hoods are designed for crop sensors. I use my 17-55 hood on my 17-40 f4L, for example. Looks better too ;)

slkfis
THREAD ­ STARTER
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 20, 2009 09:35 |  #8

WOW! Thanks folks for the great replies. Who would have thought such an innocent looking hunk of plastic could be so valuable.

Kitacanon that was a good post and very informative.

Thanks to all.

slkfis

Bob

Canon 40D
28-135 KIt --- 70-200mm IS 2.8
As I learn to add, I will!

sponsored links

1,028 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Hood shapes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.