Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 00:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official: Canon 1D Mk IV

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 26, 2009 18:38 |  #361

Another correction...

radiohead wrote in post #8898706 (external link)
Again, you seem intent on saying to everyone that the way you choose to work is the only way, the true way and that other ways are wrong.

No. That's your emotional, your psychological reading of the use, results and implications of a given tool in hand (in this case FlexNR).

radiohead wrote in post #8898706 (external link)
Are you a full-time professional photographer, by the way?

Part-time only (just the "complicated" jobs :D). Instead, my wife is... and while she's out, I just happen to run and support her business.

Love,

PIX

Click here for FlexNR-Professional Noise Reduction for EOS 1D3
CPS Member/ 2x1DMKIII/ 70D/ Pentax MX
300mm f/2.8 L II IS/ 24mm f/1.4 L II/ 35mm f/2.0 IS/ 17-40 f/4 L/ 24-105 f/4 L IS / 70-200 f/4 L IS
270EX/ 580EX/ 580EX II/ ST-E2/ CP-E3
HP Z800 x2 XEON, x12 Core/ EIZO CG241W/ Viewsonic VP930b

sponsored links
mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 26, 2009 18:44 |  #362

Thalagyrt wrote in post #8899782 (external link)
Some of us are here for the community, not the brand. ;)

I agree.

Not to mention that this is a GEAR section.

I would feel incomplete without professional experience from "the other side".

If you want me to even things out a bit,
I have used the Sony A900 and their version of the 24-70 and I can say that Canon has no answer for that.:p:p:p

Stuff

Fidelity
346 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2009 18:47 |  #363

Thalagyrt wrote in post #8899864 (external link)
Since that was a direct attack at myself and Adam Lewis, among a few other people who have posted here, it sounds a bit like you're insecure to be honest. I've never tried to tell anyone to switch to Nikon, and I've never bashed Canon. People like myself and the others have presented other points of view about noise reduction, but that's about it. Settle down.

Why do you think that was an attack on you? I was referring to those people described in JBF's quote as bashing Canon. If you don't do that, then I'm not talking about you. Honestly, I couldn't be more calm, secure and content--except when my 1D4 arrives in December.:D

Fidelity

Thalagyrt
THREAD ­ STARTER
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 26, 2009 18:54 |  #364

Fidelity wrote in post #8899979 (external link)
Why do you think that was an attack on you? I was referring to those people described in JBF's quote as bashing Canon. If you don't do that, then I'm not talking about you. Honestly, I couldn't be more calm, secure and content--except when my 1D4 arrives in December.:D

Well, your post seemed directed at all of the Nikon shooters here in general, and there are about 4 or 5 posting in this thread, so I wasn't completely sure. Some of the things I have said can probably be read into multiple ways, as I tend to be a bit vague. I guess we're on the same page now! :D

James

Fidelity
346 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2009 19:05 |  #365

Thalagyrt wrote in post #8900018 (external link)
Well, your post seemed directed at all of the Nikon shooters here in general, and there are about 4 or 5 posting in this thread, so I wasn't completely sure. Some of the things I have said can probably be read into multiple ways, as I tend to be a bit vague. I guess we're on the same page now! :D

Hey, I'm extremely happy to converse with Nikon owners who really love photography and want to share their thoughts on the competing brands and technical issues such as ISO and pixel density. Heck, there's a bunch of them on the Nikon forums that are just great. It's just some really are trolls who seem bent on constantly accentuating only the negative about Canon and only the positive about Nikon. From what I've read of your posts recently, you make a very positive contribution here.

Fidelity

Thalagyrt
THREAD ­ STARTER
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 26, 2009 19:11 |  #366

Fidelity wrote in post #8900081 (external link)
Hey, I'm extremely happy to converse with Nikon owners who really love photography and want to share their thoughts on the competing brands and technical issues such as ISO and pixel density. Heck, there's a bunch of them on the Nikon forums that are just great. It's just some really are trolls who seem bent on constantly accentuating only the negative about Canon and only the positive about Nikon. From what I've read of your posts recently, you make a very positive contribution here.

Thanks. It's nice to stick around and get some perspective from the Canon side as well, plus I've got all of my buddies in the POTN lounge, I can't just ditch them! :D

We're in a very interesting time technology wise right now... It'll be interesting to see what we will have 3-4 years from now.

James

Fidelity
346 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2009 20:34 |  #367

Thalagyrt wrote in post #8900112 (external link)
We're in a very interesting time technology wise right now... It'll be interesting to see what we will have 3-4 years from now.

The trend seems to be that everything is improving, while the price stays the same or drops. I wouldn't be surprised if, in 3-4 years, we get what many on these boards are clamboring for: A FF body with high rez (27mp+), high fps, high ISO, high IQ, pro AF, all for $5000. That will probably be the sports model. The wide one will probably be MF (30x45mm sensor, which would be 0.8x factor). Can you say, "whole new lens set" boys and girls? :D

Fidelity

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 26, 2009 21:05 |  #368

Fidelity wrote in post #8900544 (external link)
The trend seems to be that everything is improving, while the price stays the same or drops. I wouldn't be surprised if, in 3-4 years, we get what many on these boards are clamboring for: A FF body with high rez (27mp+), high fps, high ISO, high IQ, pro AF, all for $5000. That will probably be the sports model. The wide one will probably be MF (30x45mm sensor, which would be 0.8x factor). Can you say, "whole new lens set" boys and girls? :D

One has to wonder at some point, who can afford all that gear? Realistically, most users (by a long shot) never spend above the Rebel range. So, a $5000 body is out of the question.

That is why the 7D is so important - it puts pro features in the hands of a lot more people (which Nikon has been doing for a couple of years now).

I agree that in general, the improvement trend will continue. But I don't think that the huge leaps in IQ are going to happen any more. It'll all be baby steps. A half stop here, a third of a stop there. No big leaps.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 26, 2009 21:23 |  #369

Wait, this has turned into a civil discussion between Canon and Nikon users?
Yuk! Can we switch back to talking about who's junk is bigger? :lol:

Thalagyrt
THREAD ­ STARTER
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 26, 2009 21:31 |  #370

nicksan wrote in post #8900817 (external link)

I'm sure we can arrange for that if you really want it! :D

:p

James

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 26, 2009 22:40 |  #371

nicksan wrote in post #8900817 (external link)

There is a 1024 pixel limit so i am out :D

Stuff

brianch
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 27, 2009 00:46 as a reply to  @ post 8860287 |  #372

well.. time to start eating air for the next year and being the cheapest man alive. i hope canon can hold up its promises and deliver a bug free camera as well as good ISO performance. I am not excited about the fact that they increased the resolution so much.

Brian C - Alpha Auto Spa (external link)
5D Original
5D Mark II
EOS M

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 27, 2009 02:22 |  #373
bannedPermanent ban

PIXmantra wrote in post #8899914 (external link)
Part-time only

As I thought.

Fidelity wrote in post #8899979 (external link)

I've not bashed Canon once. Hell, only yesterday I was advising the purchase of a 7D rather than D300s to a wedding photographer starting out on another forum.

There's very, very little trolling here that I can see. There are a number of Canon shooters clearly either angry or frustrated with Canon. But the same is true on Nikon forums. 'Twas ever thus.

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

scooter
114 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 27, 2009 03:33 |  #374

Got a hands on play with the MKIV today n must say it's a MKIII with bells n whistles to boot. The model was pre production and we were not allowed to keep the sample images taken with it firmware was 44.44.80.125.025.369. or something like that. They will have stock in Australia early December just in time for christmas and with the $$$ so strong we should get a barign. Focus was sharp in servo we had an overcast day with heavy storms setting in. ISO 12500 cleaner than my MKIII at 6400 can't wait to get my hands on this beauty .....
MKIII for sale real soon

Canon 1DMKIII, 1DMKII, 30D Gripped, 50 1.8,Canon 17-35 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 ISL Sigma 24-70 2.8,Canon 20 2.8,Canon 50 1.4 580ex, 580ex MKII and MKI mono tri i-pod's and growing! Lots more on wish List.... :)

Fidelity
346 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 27, 2009 05:42 |  #375

brianch wrote in post #8901852 (external link)
I am not excited about the fact that they increased the resolution so much.

I can understand why some would feel that way. But, I really wanted the increased pixels provided there was no serious reduction in ISO or fps performance. I saw how much the 50D improved over the 40D (I have both) in image detail and post crop-ability (and no loss in ISO performance). I knew that the 1D Mark III had the same number of pixels as the 40D, but spread out over a larger sensor. So, I knew there was potential for the next 1D to excel as much. But, it appears the 1D Mark IV has exceeded my expectations. Instead of increasing rez 50%, they increased it 60%, and at the same time (apparently) improved ISO performance a couple of stops, and maintained 10 fps with (apparently) considerable improvements to AF and tracking. So, I'm elated that the increased pixels happened with no compromise in other areas. I would like to see, however, a comparison of the IQ between the 1D3 and 1D4 when both shots fill the frame (no cropping).

Fidelity

sponsored links

1,135,295 views & 6 likes for this thread
Official: Canon 1D Mk IV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.