Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 10:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help With Dead Cat...

sa_20v
47 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 20, 2009 10:11 |  #1

Sensitive thread this, but I need your help! The girlfriend's cat passed away at the weekend, and she wants to put the following picture on a 24 inch box canvas. Now, she's desperate to get this done this week, but asked me to remove the umbrella from his head - this is WAY beyond what I can achieve, but wondered if anyone could assist if they had a few spare minutes? The thing I'm struggling with the most is the cat's shadow. :cry:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

High-res image can be found here:
http://www.forumula1.n​et/images/tom1.jpg (external link)

I'd be massively grateful if anyone can help - you'd make a pretty distraught lady that little bit happier. :)

sponsored links
LemonFreshDesigns
84 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 20, 2009 14:26 |  #2

Awwwww.... poor kitty :( Maybe try cropping most of it out and then zooming into the area and carefully using your cloning tool to get rid of the umbrella.

Canon 5D, 40D | 70-200 f/4 | 24-70L | 50mm f/1.8 II | 85mm f/1.8 | Speedlight 430 EX, LR2 and CS4.

Electric ­ Shepherd
997 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 20, 2009 14:43 as a reply to  @ LemonFreshDesigns's post |  #3

How's this? I'm not quite sure how it'll stand up to being blown up to 24", let me know if want the high res version at all.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Gear

My flickr (external link)

Haribo
303 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 20, 2009 15:28 as a reply to  @ Electric Shepherd's post |  #4

Here is my attempt for you (I have the full size image too, if you want it)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickrexternal link

LemonFreshDesigns
84 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 20, 2009 16:20 |  #5

Wow... you guys are really good! How did you do this? And how long did it take?

Canon 5D, 40D | 70-200 f/4 | 24-70L | 50mm f/1.8 II | 85mm f/1.8 | Speedlight 430 EX, LR2 and CS4.

Haribo
303 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 20, 2009 16:33 |  #6

- Duplicated the base layer
- Flipped the copy
- Used a layer mask on the copy layer to reveal just the right side of the shadow
- Created a gradient layer with layer mask to recreate the shadow from the edge of the wall and cover up the umbrella

Pretty quick, only about 5-10 mins

...sorry to hear about your girlfriends cat :(

flickrexternal link

Electric ­ Shepherd
997 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 20, 2009 16:45 as a reply to  @ Haribo's post |  #7

Similar concept to Haribo's; selected the shadow of the cat's ear/head on the wall then flipped it horizontally, moved it into position, tweaked the levels on the selection just a little [LIghtened the mid-tones just a touch], then used a layer mask to mask out the offending background. Did a bit of mopping up with healing brush and that was about it really, took about 10min too.

My Gear

My flickr (external link)

sa_20v
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 20, 2009 17:24 |  #8

Thanks to both Electric Shepherd and Haribo - have sent you both PMs requesting the higher res image - I'll run them both past the girlfriend tomorrow. Thanks again - this will mean the World to her. :)

sponsored links

1,653 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help With Dead Cat...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.