Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 23:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D MK IV vs. D3s - Final Showdown!

this thread is locked
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,394 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 21, 2009 16:12 |  #76

radiohead wrote in post #8863903 (external link)
You missed a crucial point for a lot of people - a FF sensor.

FF Vs. APS H continues to define the 1D Vs the 1Ds series.

Canon have had both options available to there shooters since 2002.
It will never be a "plus" to remove these options IMHO.

Nikon will catch up some day. ;)
They did with FF recently.. Good Show Nikon! :)

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 21, 2009 16:19 |  #77
bannedPermanent ban

The FF issue is a comment made by a lot of Canon shooters not wanting to pay 1Ds money for a pro spec FF body.

Nikon won't ever make a 1.3 sensor. No question about it. It's not a case of catching up.

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,394 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 21, 2009 16:21 |  #78

I can find dozens of threads and statements from Nikon itself from a few years back saying the same about FF,..

Anyway, I don't disagree,. I'm merely pointing out that it's silly to count the fact that canon offers the variety as a "disadvantage" when we ALL KNOW that in due time we will get the exact same features in an FF option as well.
I will continue to consider this a plus.

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

zaathrus
Pole Dancin' Hamster
914 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 21, 2009 16:23 |  #79

radiohead wrote in post #8867762 (external link)
The FF issue is a comment made by a lot of Canon shooters not wanting to pay 1Ds money for a pro spec FF body.

Nikon won't ever make a 1.3 sensor. No question about it. It's not a case of catching up.

Can I correct you there? The FF "issue" is made into an issue by those wanting a 1Ds but instead of saving up that bit more, feel that it is their "right" to be able to purchase one for the price they deem appropriate.

1D series does not seem to be about compromise so at the present time (with the present tech), it is good that there is 1D and 1Ds.

Joined the cult of the HAMSTTR :cool:
Flickr (external link)
Our Zenfolio (external link)

foxesamu
507 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 21, 2009 16:31 |  #80

jwcdds wrote in post #8865315 (external link)
Hm... the 102,400 shots are usable... if you're printing newspaper at 1 inch x 1.5 inch.

the D3S's is usable for small web sizes and maybe newspaper in B&W... the 1D4's isn't, at all.

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 21, 2009 16:33 |  #81

foxesamu wrote in post #8867830 (external link)
the D3S's is usable for small web sizes and maybe newspaper in B&W... the 1D4's isn't, at all.

Not sure how you figured that out...From a shot of an old tapestry on the wall?

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

foxesamu
507 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 21, 2009 16:36 |  #82

blonde wrote in post #8865826 (external link)
the guys that are talking about "its the system" are often guys that actually tried both for themselves instead of using forum quotes and other's people's opinions. These are the guys that actually put their money were the mouth is and went out and tried the different options and actually learned first hand what the differences are.

as for your bet, i think that i will take you on that one. i will bet that 99% of the people that are in this thread right now talking **** back and forth haven't used a Nikon at all and don't know much about the Nikon system. Go look at the "official release" thread and you will see why you would lose this bet. people that are calling the mkIV the great messiah are asking if the Nikon has features like High Light Tone priority. People that hail the canon never even used a Nikon lens in their life and yet they will harp on the "canon makes better lenses" which is a completey crock of #$%. they make more lenses and they make cheaper lenses. yes they have some better lenses but they also have some worse lenses.

Wow... you hit the nail on the head.

foxesamu
507 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 21, 2009 16:37 |  #83

thatkatmat wrote in post #8867838 (external link)
Not sure how you figured that out...From a shot of an old tapestry on the wall?

From the samples posted...?

There have been several samples of the D3S at 102K already. It's probably too early to judge the 1D but I can't imagine that these samples aren't realistic.

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 21, 2009 16:40 |  #84
bannedPermanent ban

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8867774 (external link)
I can find dozens of threads and statements from Nikon itself from a few years back saying the same about FF,..

Anyway, I don't disagree,. I'm merely pointing out that it's silly to count the fact that canon offers the variety as a "disadvantage" when we ALL KNOW that in due time we will get the exact same features in an FF option as well.
I will continue to consider this a plus.

Then we agree to disagree. Us and many others.

zaathrus wrote in post #8867786 (external link)
Can I correct you there? The FF "issue" is made into an issue by those wanting a 1Ds but instead of saving up that bit more, feel that it is their "right" to be able to purchase one for the price they deem appropriate.

1D series does not seem to be about compromise so at the present time (with the present tech), it is good that there is 1D and 1Ds.

I dont agree. I think that Canon could easily do it, easily. They choose not to for commercial reasons. That's fine, but when their main competitor does offer FF options with pro specs some are bound to look and wonder.

It's the same as Nikon users not wanting to pay £4.5k for more resolution, an argument I understand entirely.

These discussions are simply due to the fact that 2 big companies offer followers of the others some things they'd like.

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 21, 2009 16:40 |  #85

The only samples I've seen are of some old asian tapestry....I picture of a picture....really horrible, I agree, but who knows how either will look in the real world

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

Okami
81 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 21, 2009 16:48 as a reply to  @ foxesamu's post |  #86

Other than landscape photographers I don't see what's the big deal with FF or not. Yes I have a 5d II and I think the high iso ability of it is great but I don't put it past any company to be able to match that high iso ability in a smaller sensor. Whether it happens now or in the future there is no reason it can't happen. It boggles my mind that people think that by simple division and judgment of pixel size they can already determine the quality of picture that is brought out by a camera.

Of course if all technology was to never progress and all they were doing is literally squeezing a smaller pixel on the sensor then yes this would be true. But there is a lot more into getting the visual data than just that.

On the issue of the crop. How many of the real buyers of the 1d4 who complain actually use wide angle on a consistent enough basis that this is an issue. I'm guessing not that many at all (and if they do why not the 5d II unless you are taking some kind of action super wide angle shots all the time)

And on suggestions of dynamic crops. Until I see a camera that is able to do a crop mode without dramatically reducing the amount of mp (like the D3) i don't see it being useful.

In the end I think the canon vs nikon discussions are getting more and more useless. Both of the companies have cameras are the 5k price point that pretty much could do everything a photographer would ever need in a camera. It's getting to the point I don't even see too much more room that either of them could improve.

Yeoer
804 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 21, 2009 16:52 |  #87

radiohead wrote in post #8867762 (external link)

No its not like there top high speed sports camera is lower in MP or Full HD video or anything is it..! :o

Come on we are going to be compairing a 12MP D3s FF sensor to what equates to what would be a 26MP sensor if it was FF in the 1D MK4... if the noise is simular then what does that say...

Canon 5D MarkII, 40D, 350D, EOS100, G10. Canon 24-105 F4 L, 85mm, 400mm F5.6, 50mm F1.8, 18-55mm, Sigma 10-20, 100-300mm, Canon 28-105 F3.5-F4.5, Kenko x1.4, Tubes and a bunch of Elinchrom Lights, flashes, reflectors and triggers.

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 21, 2009 17:02 |  #88

thatkatmat wrote in post #8867879 (external link)
The only samples I've seen are of some old asian tapestry....I picture of a picture....really horrible, I agree, but who knows how either will look in the real world

Try this link. You may be more impressed, http://dpinterface.com …-mark-iv-preview-gallery/ (external link)

Jim

My Gear

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 21, 2009 20:44 |  #89

foxesamu wrote in post #8867858 (external link)
From the samples posted...?

There have been several samples of the D3S at 102K already. It's probably too early to judge the 1D but I can't imagine that these samples aren't realistic.

Wow. Really? That confident in what you read?

You know the whole balloon boy thing was a hoax, right?

This space for rent.

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 21, 2009 20:52 |  #90

Some better ISO102400 samples from the 1D IV (still unusable), as well as other ISO samples:

http://dpinterface.com …-mark-iv-preview-gallery/ (external link)

Compare semi-directly with the D3s:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3S​/D3SA7.HTM (external link)

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

sponsored links

30,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D MK IV vs. D3s - Final Showdown!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.