Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High School Shooting Legality?

malibubts
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 22, 2009 18:28 |  #1

So I have been starting to get a lot more into photography and I'm testing out a Smugmug Pro account right now. I would like to start making prints available for purchase, but I'm not sure on the legality. I'm in High School and most of my shots are of High School events; such as plays, sports games, and various other events. I've read about a model agreements here on the forums. Will I need one? My market isn't really going to be newspapers or anything but just the people involved in that activity. (Lead Actor, Linemen on the Football Team) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5D MkII, Rebel XTi
Canon 300mm /4, Sigma 70-200mm /2.8, Canon 50mm /1.8, Rokinon 14mm /2.8
PhotoEric (external link)

ChrisRabior
826 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 22, 2009 19:36 |  #2

Talk to the school (likely the principal, athletic director, drama teacher), whoever is going to be in a position to protest you doing it is the one you want approval from. Work it out with them.

My Gear | My Alamy (external link) | My Website (external link) | MMA Photography (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,755 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 22, 2009 19:39 |  #3

As far as federal and state laws are concerned in the US, you don't need a model release to take a picture of a person and sell that picture (to that person or to anyone else).

You would need a model release to use those pictures on a website to advertise your services as a photographer, and that release would have to be signed by the adult parent or guardian of the student. Also, the set designs for school plays are usually copyrighted by the producers of the plays, and that will prevent you from using those photographs to advertise your services. Promoting a product or service (even your own) is considered "commercial use," but selling the photograph itself is not commercial use.

However, your school or school district may have their own rules that prevent you from taking pictures at school activities if you intend to sell them for profit.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 22, 2009 20:35 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I totally read that wrong...raised my eyebrows a bit till I remembered we were photographers "High school shooting legality"

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

820 views & 0 likes for this thread
High School Shooting Legality?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.