Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 22 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 19:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Windows 7 Hits First Snag (Digital River Dropping The Ball)

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 22, 2009 19:57 |  #1

Looks like there's already an issue with Windows 7 for some people. The download files from Digital River seems to have an issue (or more) with Vista 32bit & Windows 7 64bit Upgrade. An error will pop up that files/folders cannot be written. Not a big issue, but one that will surly annoy thousands of users - particularly those that are not tech savvy. The only work around so far is to make an ISO and upgrade from that. I hope Digital River and/or Microsoft address this issue. This isn't going to go over well :( Add to this that people in the UK are harping about failed downloads tallying up. Hopefully this is just a little hiccup and not a 'things to come' issue.

Links
Google search on this problem... (external link)
Channel Register (external link)
Microsoft TechNet (with solution) (external link)

sponsored links
Fut
214 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 22, 2009 20:49 |  #2

One reason why I stay clear of upgrades and only install the full version.
Mine works without a problem.

G√ľnter
Canon 5DMarkII
| EF 24-105L | Sigma 50-500 f4-6.3 APO DG
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/zxr10r/ (external link)

Jon ­ Foster
is it safe?
4,519 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 22, 2009 20:52 |  #3

It's a Mickeysoft product, what did you expect? It would actually work?

Jon.

I shoot with a Little Canon

Check out my photos @ PBase.com (external link) & ModelMayhem.com (external link)

gcflora
"I'm not normal"
1,544 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 22, 2009 20:56 |  #4

Jon Foster wrote in post #8876242 (external link)

Jon.

Hahha. I would normally jump at the chance to agree with you (I have linux on 2 of my 3 machines) but Windows 7 in my experience is a pretty solid product (I've been using the RC and beta release before that for about 7 or 8 months now).

Craig
http://www.australimag​e.com.au (external link)

R.Perez
394 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 22, 2009 21:26 |  #5

Jon.

Typical fanboi bull****.

This is digital rivers fault, not Microsoft.

battletone
503 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 22, 2009 22:10 |  #6

Jon.

What do you mean?

I run Ubuntu the last two years for everything but my PS and Illustrator needs, and I while I do not like Microsoft for various reason either, XP has been a fantastic OS. (never saw a need to "upgrade" to Vista)

I will probably be purchasing 7 one of these days.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 22, 2009 23:37 |  #7

MaxxuM wrote in post #8875894 (external link)
Looks like there's already an issue with Windows 7 for some people. The download files from Digital River seems to have an issue (or more) with Vista 32bit & Windows 7 64bit Upgrade. An error will pop up that files/folders cannot be written. Not a big issue, but one that will surly annoy thousands of users - particularly those that are not tech savvy. The only work around so far is to make an ISO and upgrade from that. I hope Digital River and/or Microsoft address this issue. This isn't going to go over well :( Add to this that people in the UK are harping about failed downloads tallying up. Hopefully this is just a little hiccup and not a 'things to come' issue.

Links
Google search on this problem... (external link)
Channel Register (external link)
Microsoft TechNet (with solution) (external link)

By the time you posted this microsoft had already made a solution known, and the ONLY issue out there right now is with digital river, and you need a .edu address for that, not something that will be too important for most users.

For those who are affected, these sites are known to help.
http://www.downloadsqu​ad.com …t-student-only-windows-7/ (external link)
http://www.downloadsqu​ad.com …7-iso-or-put-it-on-a-usb/ (external link)

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 23, 2009 08:01 |  #8

basroil wrote in post #8877290 (external link)
By the time you posted this microsoft had already made a solution known, and the ONLY issue out there right now is with digital river, and you need a .edu address for that, not something that will be too important for most users.

For those who are affected, these sites are known to help.
http://www.downloadsqu​ad.com …t-student-only-windows-7/ (external link)
http://www.downloadsqu​ad.com …7-iso-or-put-it-on-a-usb/ (external link)

Well, I called a few friends who work for three college's in my state and another outside to see what the damage was. They all said it was a pretty big issue. Hundreds of students were calling campus technology departments for help and that's only with a few colleges. World wide, we may be talking some big numbers. Yes, it won't be the 'majority' of users, but college students are a very big segment of early adopters. This issue has hit just about every tech forum, even AVS where I'm also a member. That seems to be pretty significant to me.

Personally, I tried the above methods on a test machine to see what would happen - didn't work. When installing onto a blank computer I get an error that files cannot be written. I checked all the file sizes and all looked well. I'll download it again and see what happens. I'm just darn lucky I have DVD's that came in yesterday else I would be very upset.

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2009 08:15 |  #9

It seems like Microsoft responded and is responding pretty fast and the issue has been addressed in at least one way. Windows 7 beta has been out for months, and not one person installed and tried to use digital river in that time? That seems curious at best.

We chatted previously about the negativity against Apple. It's way worse for Microsoft. All of Apple's ads are negative (I'm a PC and all that garbage). The PC one's are by and large positive saying I'm a PC for good reasons. This thread's title, in all honesty, is a good example of the negative tone people take with Microsoft and there are countless "halo" threads around Apple out there. They screw up all the time too. In my personal experience, Apple will just ignore an issue until their hand is forced in a class-action lawsuit (my 3rd gen ipod).

I run Vista and think it's great (and no, I'm not a fanboy). I thought Vista was undercooked but a good start when it was first released but has improved signifigantly. I'm VERY much looking forward to upgrading to Windows 7.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 23, 2009 08:32 |  #10

merlin2375 wrote in post #8878743 (external link)
The PC one's are by and large positive saying I'm a PC for good reasons.

I guess you missed all those commercials about the Laptop hunters?

Seems pretty negative to me..

http://tech.exchange.p​h …e-new-windows-commercials (external link)

Though I find them kind of funny. It's clearly a response campaign against what Apple is doing. Apple's commercial may be negative, however they are obviously effective as Microsoft feels the need to jump in too.

I have both Macs and PCs, highly prefer Mac, though looking forward to Windows 7 to see if they have fixed all the issues from the past.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2009 08:36 |  #11

Don't want to go too off topic on the OP's original issue...but I enjoy the discourse...

I didn't miss them. I said "by and large". And those ads were highlighting the price difference between mac's and pc's which, I've found to be often fairly substantial and certainly true out there in the market. Apple's ads just hammer away that PC's break and whatnot. I have over 7 PC's in the house all running from XP to Vista. I haven't had any spyware or breakdowns in the last 5 years and some of them aren't operated by the most skilled of operator ;)

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

dipps
538 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2009 08:58 |  #12

Fut wrote in post #8876213 (external link)
One reason why I stay clear of upgrades and only install the full version.
Mine works without a problem.

+1

i have a windows 2000 system, a windows xp system, a windows vista system and windows 7 system running, no problems with any of them.

well, on the bright side, at least their zune isn't exploding in people pockets and causing 2nd degree burns. :lol:

5DIII, 7D, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L, 40 f/2.8, 135 f/2L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L macro, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 430EX II, POWERSHOT S95.... i'm your huckleberry.

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 23, 2009 09:41 |  #13

MaxxuM wrote in post #8878707 (external link)
Well, I called a few friends who work for three college's in my state and another outside to see what the damage was. They all said it was a pretty big issue. Hundreds of students were calling campus technology departments for help and that's only with a few colleges. World wide, we may be talking some big numbers. Yes, it won't be the 'majority' of users, but college students are a very big segment of early adopters. This issue has hit just about every tech forum, even AVS where I'm also a member. That seems to be pretty significant to me.

Personally, I tried the above methods on a test machine to see what would happen - didn't work. When installing onto a blank computer I get an error that files cannot be written. I checked all the file sizes and all looked well. I'll download it again and see what happens. I'm just darn lucky I have DVD's that came in yesterday else I would be very upset.

Seems like the 32bit version is giving problems even after the fixes. Most college people now should have 64bit capable hardware (basically, only seniors who bought a laptop before December of their starting year, or people who used an older laptop would have issues), so they really should just use the 64bit version with 32bit virtual xp (though home edition doesn't support that randomly...).

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 23, 2009 12:50 |  #14

dipps wrote in post #8878916 (external link)
well, on the bright side, at least their zune isn't exploding in people pockets and causing 2nd degree burns. :lol:

You mean the hoax?

basroil wrote in post #8879123 (external link)
Seems like the 32bit version is giving problems even after the fixes. Most college people now should have 64bit capable hardware (basically, only seniors who bought a laptop before December of their starting year, or people who used an older laptop would have issues), so they really should just use the 64bit version with 32bit virtual xp (though home edition doesn't support that randomly...).

I tried Win7 64bit saved on a 32bit Vista and XP machine - didn't work. Surprisingly, we don't have many 64bit machines around here except servers.

dipps
538 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2009 13:07 |  #15

MaxxuM wrote in post #8880330 (external link)
You mean the hoax?

got a link to support that?

i've googled a good bit and i see nothing out there supporting the claim that it was a hoax.

lots of articles to the contrary though.

http://news.cnet.com …ver-exploding-ipod-touch/ (external link)
http://www.pcworld.com …exploding_ipod_​touch.html (external link)
http://www.information​week.com …jhtml?articleID​=215900172 (external link)
http://www.geek.com …turn-for-silence-2009083/ (external link)
http://www.tgdaily.com​/content/view/41727/11​8/ (external link)

5DIII, 7D, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L, 40 f/2.8, 135 f/2L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L macro, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 430EX II, POWERSHOT S95.... i'm your huckleberry.

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

sponsored links

5,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
Windows 7 Hits First Snag (Digital River Dropping The Ball)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.