Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Oct 2009 (Monday) 15:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How have you grown as a photographer, specifically, on POTN?

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 26, 2009 15:04 |  #1

I've been a member of these forums for several years, ever since I started researching about what DSLR I wanted to get (back in 2005-6), and after purchasing my 350D :D

I did a search of all the threads I've started here, and it was interesting to see my history, and see how I've grown.

For example:

October, 2008: A little disappointed with the 85mm f1.8A thread on my intial disappointement with my 85mm f/1.8. Mostly at the purple fringing (which I refer to as CA, but I now know that isn't the case), but while I think it's still bad, this lens has become one of my most favourite lenses in my gear set.

August, 2006: Viewfinder Coverage - anyone find it slightly annoying?, referring to my 95% coverage of my 350D. We mused about consumer bodies with 100% viewfinder, and today, I find myself with a 7D :D

September, 2007: Why is there no 'mRAW' on the new bodies? Me getting blasted for 'complaining' about lack of mRAW, or sRAW being too small in resolution. Can't say I particularly use it much on my 7D, but it's there now :p

April, 2008:Video mode on dSLRS?. Some interesting comments on the possibility of video on DSLR, I think before the first DSLR with video was announced. A reasons why I bit on the 7D is the possibilities of video on a DSLR (and of course, very quickly discovered there's much more to it than what you think initially).

I've certainly learnt a lot here, and tried to pass on what I've learned to others.

HAve there been interesting moments in your history here? Had some particularly insightful moments, or eaten crow heavily?

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 26, 2009 15:08 |  #2

Getting involved in Competitions (notably SMWYG and LMSYS) and taking the plunge and submitting images for the POTN Book Project have probably been my biggest POTN Milestones.

Nothing succeeds like success (got two images in the Book) and nothing is more humbling than going "up against" other talented photographers and getting praised / shredded by same.

Outside of POTN, joining a Flesh & Blood Photography "Club" has taken my photography to places I didn't think I could ever get.

One other note regarding my POTN Activities: Finding and getting involved in a thread devoted to my local area and subsequently meeting the people face to face to go out and shoot has been fantastic. I've made true friends through POTN.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 26, 2009 15:18 |  #3

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #8898713 (external link)
Getting involved in Competitions (notably SMWYG and LMSYS) and taking the plunge and submitting images for the POTN Book Project have probably been my biggest POTN Milestones.

Nothing succeeds like success (got two images in the Book) and nothing is more humbling than going "up against" other talented photographers and getting praised / shredded by same.

Outside of POTN, joining a Flesh & Blood Photography "Club" has taken my photography to places I didn't think I could ever get.

One other note regarding my POTN Activities: Finding and getting involved in a thread devoted to my local area and subsequently meeting the people face to face to go out and shoot has been fantastic. I've made true friends through POTN.

A lot to be proud of :)

Now that you mention it that way, I look back, and while I have improved, all I've managed to really accomplish is accumulate gear, and spending time and money :(

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 26, 2009 16:57 |  #4

I grow every time I go out and shoot. I would probably sell it all if I thought the learning was over, as my sole reason for doing this is I needed a technically challenging hobby that would keep my interest and provide me with exercise that will fit my abilities. I can't ride dirt bikes anymore,but I still love the outdoors and can still go hiking and carry a pack, so this is the hobby for me.
how can anyone that carries a camera and uses it regularly ever stop improving? I hope I never do.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 27, 2009 07:00 |  #5

I've learned a LOT about the science of [digital] photography. And taking test pictures along the way has improved my photography ;). I still have a long way to go, but for shooting DSLR only 2 yrs I think i've done pretty well. I am always trying to learn new things that can halp me take better pictures (for example, the other day I spend reading on how histograms are inaccurate when shooting RAW, and how WB effects it, in regards to ETTR).

I've aquired alot of gear but I've bought most of it used and found the best deals possible, which otherwise I would not have nearly the amount of lenses etc. if i was buying brand new locally. Buying and selling lenses is fun, soon I'll have my Tamron 17-50VC and as long as it's good I'll be selling a couple other lenses.

I've learned tips on how to photograph different situaions, what to expect from people etc.

POTN 4 life!

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 27, 2009 08:12 |  #6

I think thats the beauty of this hobby - its a continual learning process.

It is a subject with so many facets and levels that you must always be learning or you get left behind.

Once you think that you are doing well, someone posts about a certain thing (ettr, flash etc) and you then realise that you know squat!

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 27, 2009 16:41 |  #7

I learned mostly about equipment from this site (I've only been a member a few short months.

Now that I understand equipment, and have some good pieces, I need to learn how to take pictures.

I went to the zoo this past weekend. Excellent weather, good light, great camera and excellent lens.

Mediocre pictures.

Thank you. bw!

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 27, 2009 17:00 |  #8

I learned not to post pictures if I want useful feedback :lol:

I also now know enough to keep me up at night with my head spinning about the science of digital photography.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

dustyporch
398 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 28, 2009 09:40 |  #9

I would suggest that I have grown as a photographer IN SPITE of this place! :)

My photos on Flickr... (external link)

sponsored links

1,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
How have you grown as a photographer, specifically, on POTN?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.