Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 11:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Indoor Asian Tea Ceremony Lighting Question

misshotnspicy
107 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 28, 2009 11:31 |  #1

Hey Guys,

I have an indoor photo shoot coming up in 2 weeks and it will be my first paid event. I'm excited and nervous. She is actually a friend of a friend and she knows that I am fairly new in photography.

It is an indoor Asian Tea Ceremony similar to this: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=BFQEfljC1YQ (external link). As you can see, it is very dark. I plan on using my 35mm f1.4 lens & 580ex ii flash with my 40D camera.

Steve (sdipirro) has been ABSOLUTELY wonderful with helping me with the light gears. He suggested a camera rotating brackets with some sort of modifier as it will be difficult to setup off camera lights on light stands and position them correctly and set the power correctly to get decently exposed shots.

Originally, I was thinking of the Alienbees B800, but most likely I will go with the camera rotating brackets as suggested by Steve. I would love to hear more expert opinions on this subject.

Thanks in advance,
Laura

www.lauravuphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
dmeiselman
130 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 28, 2009 12:10 |  #2

it all depends on the size of the room and ambient lighting conditions. This looks no different from lighting any other wedding.
You're photographing an event, not setting up a shot. This means you have to be able to shoot practically anywhere in the room, so even light is a must; just concentrate on making sure the table/altar/area where they are performing the ceremony looks great.
If you are blessed with white ceilings, two or three speedlites with wireless triggers (radio, I don't trust IR) bounced into the ceiling at quarter or half power will get you somewhere in the range of f/2.8 at iso 400. (depends on a million different variables: room shape, distance from subject, ambient light, etcetera.
I would encourage you to stay above f/2 for some added dof and leeway with AF.

If you can set up the b800 and the 580ex in opposite corners of the room, I suspect you will get the kind of light you're looking for. bounce them both into the ceiling, set them so they put out the same amount of light (for me, this usually means setting the b800 two stops lower), then get someone to stand where the ceremony will be performed and adjust until you're happy.

Most of all, enjoy yourself, it's a beautiful moment for your friends and you'll do great.

D300|Tokina 12-24 f/4|Tamron 17-50 f/2.8|Sigma 24 f/1.8|Tokina 50-135 f/2.8|SB-600|Alienbees

misshotnspicy
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 28, 2009 12:24 |  #3

Thanks for the advice, dmeiselman.

Johnny ­ V
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 28, 2009 13:19 |  #4

Pretty much what dmeiselman. Tea Ceremonies vary from being very formal and elaborate with complete food offerings from duck to fruit, to down and dirty on an ottoman in the bride's parent's living room. That happened to me last year. So anyway I just bounced flash off of ceiling. Things can happen quickly so stay on your toes!

Fear the Gear! Canon 5D3/6D/50D/T2i/EOS-M; 17-40L f4; 70-200 f4; 50 f1.4; 18-55 f3.5 IS; Sigma 85 f1.4; Tamron 85 f1.8; Canon 35 f2-IS; 580EX; Comet Strobes; Smugmug 20% Discount  (external link)

misshotnspicy
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 28, 2009 15:19 |  #5

Johnny V wrote in post #8911976 (external link)
Pretty much what dmeiselman. Tea Ceremonies vary from being very formal and elaborate with complete food offerings from duck to fruit, to down and dirty on an ottoman in the bride's parent's living room. That happened to me last year. So anyway I just bounced flash off of ceiling. Things can happen quickly so stay on your toes!

Johnny - was your external flash sufficient enough for the ceremony or did you use any other lighting source?

Thanks,
Laura

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 28, 2009 15:22 |  #6

I thought I'd add that she doesn't actually have the B800 and is debating whether or not to get it for this shoot. She's also waiting on the triggers. Given the time constraint...and learning curve...and fact that people are moving around and not staying in one place to shoot, it seemed like the best chance of success (to me) was using an on-camera flash and bounce it or diffuse it with a modifier. Just for clarification on using the B800 in this situation....You just position the 580EX and B800 in opposite corners, bare bulb on the B800, bounce both off the ceiling and try to balance the light? Don't you have white balance issues in that situation too? She also didn't order two receivers - just one and a transmitter to be able to fire one light off camera.

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

Johnny ­ V
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 28, 2009 15:29 |  #7

misshotnspicy wrote in post #8912757 (external link)
Johnny - was your external flash sufficient enough for the ceremony or did you use any other lighting source?

Thanks,
Laura

Just an 580EX bounce off the ceiling.

The tea ceremonies were done at each families house before the wedding.. so the ceilings were low and white and easy to bounce flash. Do you know the venue for the tea ceremony... Can you scout it out before hand?

Fear the Gear! Canon 5D3/6D/50D/T2i/EOS-M; 17-40L f4; 70-200 f4; 50 f1.4; 18-55 f3.5 IS; Sigma 85 f1.4; Tamron 85 f1.8; Canon 35 f2-IS; 580EX; Comet Strobes; Smugmug 20% Discount  (external link)

misshotnspicy
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 28, 2009 17:11 |  #8

Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I probably wasn't too clear on stating that in the beginning.

Johnny - in my case, there is only 1 tea ceremony and it will be done at the Bride's family house. I am assuming it's a standard Texas brick veneer home.

Johnny ­ V
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 28, 2009 17:39 |  #9

OK can we "assume" ceilings will be white and not too high and/or will tea ceremony be outside?

If indoors and white ceiling you are all good to go with bouncing on camera flash.

sponsored links

1,456 views & 0 likes for this thread
Indoor Asian Tea Ceremony Lighting Question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.