Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 14:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

thinking of switching to Mac, also questions regarding drobo

this thread is locked
MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,355 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Oct 30, 2009 09:05 |  #16

basroil wrote in post #8922225 (external link)
iWork has some major compatibility issues with Office 2007 though, fonts not showing up correctly, presentation slides having garbled texts/position changes. Happens a lot more often when using non-english alphabets, but when you need to work in an Office environment, don't skimp out and go with iWork, get actual Office... And yes, even Office for mac had some issues with regular office, think they sorted those out in 2008 though.

EDIT: And it is silly for a normal person to run Linux, OS/2, or a number of other oses together with windows. Nothing against someone who actually needs it for something and knows how to use it (like i use ubuntu on a usb key to access computers all the time, better than worrying about personal data theft, great for doing maintenance on computers too). But why should a layman EVER have to have two operating systems? The entire point of most people "upgrading" to macs is that they want to make their lives easier. Second OS just to run a few programs is not easy. (at least not as easy as just using windows, osx, or linux alone)

And how would a layman ever learn a new OS until they installed it? It's pretty arrogant to think people should live within a preconceived box basroil and very intolerant to other idea's to boot. Apple's OS X may not be perfect nor fit everyone's needs, but it is a viable solution for many people. Imahawki's statement was pretty single minded and left no room for debate.

psxindo wrote in post #8922560 (external link)
Thanks guys for the answers.

I'm still debating on what to get... PC or Mac...
I don't want to start that debate here...

I just want to know the limitation on compatibility if I were to switch.

Wait, what? :lol:

Debating two different methodologies requires... well, some debate. If you just want pure information w/o debate here are some links for you...

Switch to Mac (external link)
Switch 101 (external link)
5 Reasons to Switch (external link)
A guide for switching to a Mac (external link)
Switching from Windows to Mac - One Year Later (external link)
Switching to a Mac For Dummies (external link)

sponsored links
R.Perez
358 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 30, 2009 10:30 |  #17

MaxxuM wrote in post #8923740 (external link)
Wait, what? :lol:

Debating two different methodologies requires... well, some debate. If you just want pure information w/o debate here are some links for you...

Switch to Mac (external link)
Switch 101 (external link)
5 Reasons to Switch (external link)
A guide for switching to a Mac (external link)
Switching from Windows to Mac - One Year Later (external link)
Switching to a Mac For Dummies (external link)

I like OSX, I like Windows 7 and I like Ubuntu. I may in fact buy a new 27" iMac in a few months.

That being said how the hell is that "pure information" ?

I looked at three of those links and they are ALL extremely biased.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,355 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Oct 30, 2009 12:08 |  #18

R.Perez wrote in post #8924115 (external link)
I like OSX, I like Windows 7 and I like Ubuntu. I may in fact buy a new 27" iMac in a few months.

That being said how the hell is that "pure information" ?

I looked at three of those links and they are ALL extremely biased.

If you know better sites to show the OP what is involved in switching to Mac (and see if it's worth it) you can provide some links. Otherwise, my link's provide pure information about making the switch - no debate, just as advertised. Perhaps I should include www.microsoft.com (external link) so he can learn more about OS X?;)

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
1,268 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 30, 2009 12:26 |  #19

TO the OP. My PC died, I bought a MAC Pro, expensive yes but had always toyed with the idea and the PC dying pushed me in that direction... I always built my own PC's and always had the latest operating system and even had windows 7 beta..... Did I hesitate or have I regretted going to MAC..... NO
All my LR & Itunes Catalog's etc transferred and have been using my MAC for 3 months and love it....
Yes you may have some plug in issues plus getting LR and PS licenses will cost (well actually I caused such a fuss it did not) another story....

If you are really considering doing it then go with your gutt feel, asking on here is fine but only you know whether you really want the expense and issues as there will be however much people say it is easy.... and it was easy compared to issues I have had with PC's and drivers etc especially under Vista...

BUT for me the reward was worth it...... So easy to use and mine has been problem free, load software and it works...... simples....

Now sit back to be pulled apart;)

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS QGP
My Website (external link)

Meaty0
Goldmember
3,519 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 30, 2009 19:20 |  #20

Well, I'm not a Mac hater, but I have always used Windows on my PC and my wife and daughter use Macs. There is a lot of my software I can't run on their computers unless they install Bootcamp (or whatever). The biggest pain though is getting used to all the different positions of the buttons and keyboard names. It all seems to be back-to-front somehow.

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 30, 2009 21:05 |  #21

Meaty0 wrote in post #8926942 (external link)
Well, I'm not a Mac hater, but I have always used Windows on my PC and my wife and daughter use Macs. There is a lot of my software I can't run on their computers unless they install Bootcamp (or whatever). The biggest pain though is getting used to all the different positions of the buttons and keyboard names. It all seems to be back-to-front somehow.

C'mon now... I used PC keyboards for 24 years. I can use a Mac keyboard without a problem now :) The only keys that are different are the CTRL/ALT vs. OPTION/APPLE. And yea if you're only set on running Windows based software, you'll have to use an emulation option but the only thing I've needed Windows for is VPN'ing into a client's website or trying a site out in IE/Windows. Mac has software for just about everything now if you're not so set on sticking with what you already have.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 30, 2009 21:24 |  #22

TheHoff wrote in post #8927368 (external link)
C'mon now... I used PC keyboards for 24 years. I can use a Mac keyboard without a problem now :) The only keys that are different are the CTRL/ALT vs. OPTION/APPLE. And yea if you're only set on running Windows based software, you'll have to use an emulation option but the only thing I've needed Windows for is VPN'ing into a client's website or trying a site out in IE/Windows. Mac has software for just about everything now if you're not so set on sticking with what you already have.

You forgot about the windows key ;)

And no, OSX does not support everything, nor many things photographers use. Many (usually free) plugins for photoshop require windows, as do 64bit versions of photoshop (and plugins). Granted, not everyone needs them, but that doesn't mean nobody uses them or doesn't need to use them.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 30, 2009 22:02 |  #23

basroil wrote in post #8927439 (external link)
You forgot about the windows key ;)

Is that used to recover from the Blue Screen of Death? :D

And no, OSX does not support everything, nor many things photographers use. Many (usually free) plugins for photoshop require windows,

I rarely use any of the plugins that ship with PS. For that matter, I don't use PS much at all now that I have Aperture+Nik.

as do 64bit versions of photoshop (and plugins).

At least I can concurrently run both 32-bit and 64-bit apps in OS X. When will Windows overcome that problem?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 30, 2009 22:34 |  #24

basroil wrote in post #8927439 (external link)
OSX does not support everything, nor many things photographers use. Many (usually free) plugins for photoshop require windows, as do 64bit versions of photoshop (and plugins). Granted, not everyone needs them, but that doesn't mean nobody uses them or doesn't need to use them.

Well my point is that there are very few "essentials" apart from the Office issues mentioned that actually require Windows. If you're willing to look at substitutions pretty much everything else can be found in an OS X native app.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Meaty0
Goldmember
3,519 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 30, 2009 23:48 |  #25

There is one other consideration. When my PC needs upgrade or repair, I can do it myself, or there are at least a dozen local PC repairers who can do it for me. When my daughter's iMac "Superdrive" failed last month, no PC repair shop would touch it and the only two (yes just two) repairers in our city of 2 Million people were bloody useless and expensive. Their solution? Plug in an external DVD drive! Well D'UH...$180 to tell me that!

Just check to see who can do the repair work on your Mac in your area first.

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 30, 2009 23:57 |  #26

My superdrive failed in my MBP but I needed to install some software. I took the one out of my wife's MB, put it in mine, and went on my way. I swapped it back out when I had my MBP fixed at the Apple dealer but changing out a drive in a Mac is no different than doing it in a PC -- remove a few screws and a cord or two. Unfortunately the only place to buy the parts is eBay.

Yes, this is a definite negative against the Mac. Also there is no 'rush' service for businesses at the Apple store. How I'm supposed to go without my laptop for 3 to 5 days while they swap out my DVD drive is beyond me. I ended up paying a rush fee at a third-party service depot so it would still be covered under Applecare.

Apple definitely needs to figure out a better way to swap out simple parts in the store -- they wouldn't order the part and have it waiting for me -- they had to get my laptop in and THEN order the part, wait for it to arrive, and then days later, install it. Dell would've cross-shipped the drive overnight and I would've done it myself in under 24 hours.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 31, 2009 00:02 |  #27

Meaty0 wrote in post #8927997 (external link)
There is one other consideration. When my PC needs upgrade or repair, I can do it myself, or there are at least a dozen local PC repairers who can do it for me. When my daughter's iMac "Superdrive" failed last month, no PC repair shop would touch it and the only two (yes just two) repairers in our city of 2 Million people were bloody useless and expensive. Their solution? Plug in an external DVD drive! Well D'UH...$180 to tell me that!

Just check to see who can do the repair work on your Mac in your area first.

You do know that if you call Apple, they'll actually send you a box to send them your Mac? I just called them today for an older MBP that I think is having Nvidia graphics issues... They are Fed-Xing a box to me to send it to them.

No fuss, no muss. You have a 1 year warranty and Apple's service is #1 in the industry for a good reason.

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 31, 2009 01:30 |  #28

TheHoff wrote in post #8928034 (external link)
My superdrive failed in my MBP but I needed to install some software. I took the one out of my wife's MB, put it in mine, and went on my way. I swapped it back out when I had my MBP fixed at the Apple dealer but changing out a drive in a Mac is no different than doing it in a PC -- remove a few screws and a cord or two. Unfortunately the only place to buy the parts is eBay.

Yes, this is a definite negative against the Mac. Also there is no 'rush' service for businesses at the Apple store. How I'm supposed to go without my laptop for 3 to 5 days while they swap out my DVD drive is beyond me. I ended up paying a rush fee at a third-party service depot so it would still be covered under Applecare.

Apple definitely needs to figure out a better way to swap out simple parts in the store -- they wouldn't order the part and have it waiting for me -- they had to get my laptop in and THEN order the part, wait for it to arrive, and then days later, install it. Dell would've cross-shipped the drive overnight and I would've done it myself in under 24 hours.

Hey Hoff you might want to check out procare http://www.apple.com/r​etail/procare/ (external link) when I worked for apple we did procare repairs same or next day parts willing and you can schedule an appointment up to 2 weeks in advance. Also if you want to go the DIY rout you can get most parts from http://www.powerbookme​dic.com/ (external link) they even have take apart guides you can download.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 31, 2009 01:59 |  #29

Damian75 wrote in post #8928288 (external link)
Hey Hoff you might want to check out procare http://www.apple.com/r​etail/procare/ (external link) when I worked for apple we did procare repairs same or next day parts willing and you can schedule an appointment up to 2 weeks in advance. Also if you want to go the DIY rout you can get most parts from http://www.powerbookme​dic.com/ (external link) they even have take apart guides you can download.

Ah thanks. I'm not sure why, when I've asked three Geniuses at two separate times about the drive repair, did not one of them mention Procare.

And thanks for the link. I didn't have trouble taking it apart but I didn't want to pay for the part myself -- it would've been twice the cost of the rush repair and then it wouldn't have been covered for future Applecare.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 31, 2009 02:04 |  #30

Tony-S wrote in post #8927597 (external link)
Is that used to recover from the Blue Screen of Death? :D

I rarely use any of the plugins that ship with PS. For that matter, I don't use PS much at all now that I have Aperture+Nik.

At least I can concurrently run both 32-bit and 64-bit apps in OS X. When will Windows overcome that problem?

Believe it or not, I've had about 5x more BSOD on OSX on 4gb quad core mac pros (two intels and a g5) than on any of my windows pcs... go figure... (yes, BSOD, if you include random restarts, 10x)

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

sponsored links

5,331 views & 0 likes for this thread
thinking of switching to Mac, also questions regarding drobo
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.