Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 14:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

thinking of switching to Mac, also questions regarding drobo

this thread is locked
Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 31, 2009 02:22 |  #31

basroil wrote in post #8928391 (external link)
Believe it or not, I've had about 5x more BSOD on OSX on 4gb quad core mac pros (two intels and a g5) than on any of my windows pcs... go figure... (yes, BSOD, if you include random restarts, 10x)

I am assuming you mean kernel panics as there is no blue error screen on a mac does windows even use the blue screen anymore? How many sticks of bad ram did you have in those mac pros?

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

sponsored links
mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 31, 2009 04:22 |  #32

Windows VS Mac threead again? Basroil, just because you have no purpose running more than two operating systems does not mean other people dont. Just as you you say about the photoshop plugins.

Repairing is the same as repairing a pc laptop its just some repair shops see repairing macs as hard because they have no experience with them, or have heard how difficult they are to work on through the rumour mill.

OP go to the apple store and check out the new macs and see if you like them. If you don't then get a PC don't let all the windows vs Mac bashing put you off.

Deviant Art (external link)

imahawki
Goldmember
1,455 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2009 11:01 |  #33

TheHoff wrote in post #8927731 (external link)
Well my point is that there are very few "essentials" apart from the Office issues mentioned that actually require Windows. If you're willing to look at substitutions pretty much everything else can be found in an OS X native app.

Why do so many people run bootcamp etc then? I run a Home Theater forum and every single person on my forum that has a Mac is virtualizing windows on it. Why?

Olympus OMD E-M10 | Olympus 25 f/1.8 | Olympus 45 f/1.8 | Olympus 75 f/1.8 | Olympus 9-18 f/4-5.6 | Olympus 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 | Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6
My Zenfolio Gallery (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 01, 2009 11:27 |  #34

Must be your forum. My home theater is run by a Mac Mini with a 1080p projector using Plex.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 01, 2009 11:47 |  #35

imahawki wrote in post #8934690 (external link)
Why do so many people run bootcamp etc then? I run a Home Theater forum and every single person on my forum that has a Mac is virtualizing windows on it. Why?

OSX Provides no
1) No cable card support
2) No Bluray support (FCP now supports Bluray writing, but not read)
3) No proper HDCP support for playing HD videos
Windows Provides (on top of the above for supported hardware, including 2 and 3, though 1 would only be for mac pros)
1) Windows Media Center is actually really good for being free with every copy of windows.
2) Supports more codecs with less issue, even in Media Center.
3) Supports hardware acceleration with more codecs with the right software.
4) Save and record shows w and w/o encryption.

Mac Mini is a great size for a HTPC, but the software is just plain lacking.

On another note, Damian, I clearly remember a blue screen with writing rather than black screen, and this was on a g5, so definitely NOT running windows. On the intel ones it may have been a kernel panic, can't remember those ones (g5 ran an old CRT, could very well have been hardware failure that bypassed the kernel, intels ran 20" ACD)

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 01, 2009 12:54 |  #36

Well, since this is a "PC to mac" topic, it's hard to keep the PC vs. Mac sentiments out, but let's keep it as nice as it is now :)

basroil wrote in post #8934898 (external link)
On another note, Damian, I clearly remember a blue screen with writing rather than black screen, and this was on a g5, so definitely NOT running windows.

That's strange. I'd expect this one; I've seen it on a G5 before (loosely seated RAM)

IMAGE: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/MacOSX_kernel_panic.png

I've never seen a BSOD (external link) on any mac I've used...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 01, 2009 14:02 |  #37

On another note, Damian, I clearly remember a blue screen with writing rather than black screen, and this was on a g5, so definitely NOT running windows. On the intel ones it may have been a kernel panic, can't remember those ones (g5 ran an old CRT, could very well have been hardware failure that bypassed the kernel, intels ran 20" ACD)

Yeah no blue screens even going way back possible gray screen if the system booted into open firmware but no blue error screens only possibility would be if you had a kernel panic during the boot sequence when it was on the blue part of the loading screen.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,355 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Nov 01, 2009 14:08 |  #38

OSX Provides no
1) No cable card support
2) No Bluray support (FCP now supports Bluray writing, but not read)
3) No proper HDCP support for playing HD videos
Windows Provides (on top of the above for supported hardware, including 2 and 3, though 1 would only be for mac pros)
1) Windows Media Center is actually really good for being free with every copy of windows.
2) Supports more codecs with less issue, even in Media Center.
3) Supports hardware acceleration with more codecs with the right software.
4) Save and record shows w and w/o encryption.

Mac Mini is a great size for a HTPC, but the software is just plain lacking.

basroil, everything with the exception of (OS X) #2 and #3 is complete spin. I don't have the time to correct every misconception/twist, but to give you an example #1 all you need is a USB HDTV stick - which I have - and you have HDTV on your Mac Mini. Another example - there are thousands of codec's and I've played hundreds of them on my Mac's without issue. All a Mac user must do is install Perian and/or VLC. I've yet to hit a codec I couldn't play.

It's pretty obvious that you don't rely on a Mac, nor have in a while if you did. Otherwise, you'd know how to get around these 'problems'. And I say 'problems', because you seem to think if things are done differently than on Windows they become 'problems'.

Skid
245 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 01, 2009 14:14 |  #39

I'm about to get an iMac - mainly for the photo side of things, haven't ever had a PC to work on - always a laptop.. Have had a powerbook G4 for the past 7 years, that's been awesome - so we're gonna go for a nice machine now, rather than another laptop.

Gear List

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 01, 2009 14:51 |  #40

I have a PC in the office but do all my photo and video work at home on the iMac 24". Actually I prefer it for email etc too.

I am using Drobo with no problems and am saving up for the Pro, 8 bays...

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProduction (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 01, 2009 15:14 |  #41

MaxxuM wrote in post #8935445 (external link)
basroil, everything with the exception of (OS X) #2 and #3 is complete spin. I don't have the time to correct every misconception/twist, but to give you an example #1 all you need is a USB HDTV stick - which I have - and you have HDTV on your Mac Mini. Another example - there are thousands of codec's and I've played hundreds of them on my Mac's without issue. All a Mac user must do is install Perian and/or VLC. I've yet to hit a codec I couldn't play.

It's pretty obvious that you don't rely on a Mac, nor have in a while if you did. Otherwise, you'd know how to get around these 'problems'. And I say 'problems', because you seem to think if things are done differently than on Windows they become 'problems'.

Actually, no. HDTV usb stick is NOT the same as cable card support. Vastly different approaches, and a pathetic HDTV stick won't let you use cablecards, therefore no digital cable. Having to have two boxes, one for a HTPC and another for a digital cable box IS a problem that you cannot work around on a mac regardless of how hard you try.

And while you can use vlc, mplayer, and a dozen other similar programs, they do not have the same integration as something like Media Center. Those programs also don't support HDCP outputs currently (i'm sure there's a build of mplayer that does), nor do they run using the ffmpeg-mt libraries (mplayer can, but last i knew ffmpeg-mt source was windows only), so you're stuck at a single core for decoding. VLC may have been updated at some point, but in general the program is poorly made and not made for multiple uses. A HTPC should have a single frontend program that can be upgraded, but still supports any media use without needing to plug in a keyboard and mouse to access that material (including video files, audio files, video streams, audio streams, and over the air and cable feeds). Currently, only Media Center and a few paid programs offer that.

If OP wants to, he can get himself an i7 860 based mini-ATX HTPC for less than an iMac or 15" MBP. Much faster for photo processing, capable of being a media center, what else would you need? Hell, if he wants to be fancy, doesn't even have to be an HTPC case and he can keep the pc in another room connected to dual 24" or 27" monitors and still be an HTPC. Bit more expensive that way, but still cheaper than a 17"MBP or 27" i7 imac

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,355 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 01, 2009 17:42 |  #42

basroil wrote in post #8935740 (external link)
Actually, no. HDTV usb stick is NOT the same as cable card support. Vastly different approaches, and a pathetic HDTV stick won't let you use cablecards, therefore no digital cable. Having to have two boxes, one for a HTPC and another for a digital cable box IS a problem that you cannot work around on a mac regardless of how hard you try.

And while you can use vlc, mplayer, and a dozen other similar programs, they do not have the same integration as something like Media Center. Those programs also don't support HDCP outputs currently (i'm sure there's a build of mplayer that does), nor do they run using the ffmpeg-mt libraries (mplayer can, but last i knew ffmpeg-mt source was windows only), so you're stuck at a single core for decoding. VLC may have been updated at some point, but in general the program is poorly made and not made for multiple uses. A HTPC should have a single frontend program that can be upgraded, but still supports any media use without needing to plug in a keyboard and mouse to access that material (including video files, audio files, video streams, audio streams, and over the air and cable feeds). Currently, only Media Center and a few paid programs offer that.

If OP wants to, he can get himself an i7 860 based mini-ATX HTPC for less than an iMac or 15" MBP. Much faster for photo processing, capable of being a media center, what else would you need? Hell, if he wants to be fancy, doesn't even have to be an HTPC case and he can keep the pc in another room connected to dual 24" or 27" monitors and still be an HTPC. Bit more expensive that way, but still cheaper than a 17"MBP or 27" i7 imac

cableCard? Media Center integration? Now that's really reaching lol. CableCard is a joke in most of the US and cable companies and content owners are trying to get rid of it. Media Center is free - that's about all I can say about it. There are better media centers by far.

I can admit PC's have their value... What many here have a problem with is your unwillingness to accept Mac's as a solution for some people. It sorta reminds me of a used car sales pitch. What confounds me is that the OP already has experience with PC's and wants to know more about Mac's. Maybe you should try to work for Dell or Microsoft ;)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 01, 2009 17:55 |  #43

MaxxuM wrote in post #8936519 (external link)
I can admit PC's have their value... What many here have a problem with is your unwillingness to accept Mac's as a solution for some people. It sorta reminds me of a used car sales pitch. What confounds me is that the OP already has experience with PC's and wants to know more about Mac's. Maybe you should try to work for Dell or Microsoft ;)

But they are not a solution, they are an option. And like all options, you need to weigh all aspects of it before deciding. So far OP is taking the Carter approach, just because something went wrong before, you have to jump ship and hope that one works better. Well, Windows is no Nixon, neither are the companies that make most computers sold in the world. I'm simply telling OP about the (good to great) experiences he has not yet had with "PC"s (this "mac vs pc" thing is all from apple advertisement, macs ARE pcs, especially now that they use the same hardware), I'll let you handle telling him about apple products.

Gear List

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,355 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 01, 2009 18:06 |  #44

basroil wrote in post #8936596 (external link)
But they are not a solution, they are an option. And like all options, you need to weigh all aspects of it before deciding. So far OP is taking the Carter approach, just because something went wrong before, you have to jump ship and hope that one works better. Well, Windows is no Nixon, neither are the companies that make most computers sold in the world. I'm simply telling OP about the (good to great) experiences he has not yet had with "PC"s (this "mac vs pc" thing is all from apple advertisement, macs ARE pcs, especially now that they use the same hardware), I'll let you handle telling him about apple products.

That pretty much sums up your point of view basroil. Well, I'll give you that - you're up front about your dislike for Apple. No one could mistake where you're coming from. :|

imahawki
Goldmember
1,455 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2009 18:19 |  #45

Why is it assumed that everyone who prefers PC and points out the shortcomings of Apples is an Apple hater? I don't hate Apple, I just want to only run one OS and Apple will not run all my apps.

Olympus OMD E-M10 | Olympus 25 f/1.8 | Olympus 45 f/1.8 | Olympus 75 f/1.8 | Olympus 9-18 f/4-5.6 | Olympus 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 | Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6
My Zenfolio Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

5,326 views & 0 likes for this thread
thinking of switching to Mac, also questions regarding drobo
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.