Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 01 Nov 2009 (Sunday) 22:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zero Noise Extended DR Mini Tutorial

Golden ­ Hunter
805 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 14, 2009 21:48 as a reply to  @ post 9198668 |  #31

I am running it on Windows 7, 64 bit. I might suggest that you make sure you have the proper version of DCraw. On this sight http://www.insflug.org​/raw/ (external link) , if you look on the right side of the page, you will see " Hans Weber MS build" of DCraw. That is what I needed for Win7.( I would link directly to the file but I am not sure if this is allowed)?? Either way, i thought I would throw this out there. Good luck.

Brent
5D Mark2 // 16-35 f4L // 70-200 f4L // 17-40 f4L // Sigma 50 f1.4//
580EX2

sponsored links
taknbyd
192 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 14, 2009 21:59 |  #32

Thanks for trying, but it seems that it's only for the 32 bit windows... Gives me an error stating it's for a different version of windows... :(

Canon 40D/ EF 70-200mm IS 2.8L/ EF 50mm 1.4/ EF 28-135mm/ 430ex II x2/ 580 exII and Light Modifiers
DTBPhotography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,840 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 14, 2009 23:18 |  #33

Then i will try to use it on my wife's laptop that i bought for her running Win 7, or maybe that parallel i use on Mac for Windows applications.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

buggz
786 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 17, 2009 19:42 as a reply to  @ post 8943262 |  #34

Guillermo,
Would it be possible to incorporate hugin alignment?
I know qtpfstgui uses it.
I think enblend and tufuse use it, or something else.
I took images this AM, and I guess I moved the camera a bit when changing settings.
ZeroNoise didn't like them so well, same tree branches next to each other.

Another question, is ZeroNoise going to be incorporated into PerfectRAW?
I try to follow along w/ google translate, but I just don't have a lot of time off.

kirkt, thanks for the tut. It's really great for people like me who don't have a lot of free time.

5DMkII, 40D w/ grip, lenses, flashes, more stuff.

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 18, 2009 15:10 as a reply to  @ buggz's post |  #35

I also heard great things abot Zero noise, but kept getting an error myself. I did try a few suggestions from Guillermo, but kept getting the errors. It seems like a great application, but after 2 or 3 tries to get it to work, I must say I finally had to give up.
Maybe If Dcraw and zero noise were packaged together,it might be easier to use. Seems like a great program, I also just started reading the HDRI handbook, and it also has some great info, but I must admit its fairly technical.
Hopefully Guillermo, one day it gets a little easier to use, or I can figure out how to use it in its present state, without the errors.

Bruce

_GUI_
348 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 20, 2009 19:15 |  #36

DCRAW is a program by David Coffin, I don't even consider packing it with ZN since the authority must be respected. Anyway I don't think copying dcraw.exe into a folder called c:\dcraw\ is that difficult. Is it? one just needs to make sure to have the appropiate version of DCRAW.

About the alignment, the best is to set a workflow where the camera doesn't need to be touched between shots. Most cameras have a bracketing feature, just activate it and shoot with a remote shutter (they are very cheap).

Regards.

http://www.guillermolu​ijk.com (external link) to subscribe click here (external link)

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 21, 2009 11:44 as a reply to  @ _GUI_'s post |  #37

Thats the thing, I did copy it in and still kept getting the error, so I'm not sure what else I could do.

Bruce

kirkt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,929 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 21, 2009 13:27 |  #38

Have you tried running dcraw from the command line on a RAW file to make sure that the problem isn;t with ZN but maybe with the particular version of dcraw that you have on your machine?

If you are not familiar with dcraw, the one of the simplest commands to run is:

dcraw -v -a -q 1 -T <filename>

This will take your RAW file named <filename> and average white balance it (-a), at low quality (-q 1) and convert it to a TIFF (-T). The (-v) flag gives verbose output so you can see what is going on.

Try this on a RAW image and see if it works, to confirm that dcraw isn't the problem. Also, make sure that when you copy dcraw to your machine that the dcraw executable is in the PATH of your machine, so it can be found.

Good luck,

Kirk

Kirk
---

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 22, 2009 09:01 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #39

I'm beginning to think its my lack of knowledge where dcraw should be located thats the problem, so far anyway.
Where should it be located?

Bruce

kirkt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,929 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 22, 2009 09:27 |  #40

C:\dcraw\

as Guillermo pointed out above.

That is, make a folder (directory) at the root level of your machine (C: ) called "dcraw" and then drop the dcraw executable in there. Just go the the Start menu> My computer> C: drive and make a new folder called "dcraw". Copy the dcraw executable into that folder.

Then go to the command line (the DOS prompt: Start>All programs>Accessories>Command Prompt) and navigate to the dcraw directory you just created and installed dcraw in - type:

cd c:\dcraw

and hit return - then type:

dcraw

at the command line prompt and hit return - dcraw should spit out all of the usage options and command line flags - this means your machine is executing dcraw. If you are not familiar with the command line and issuing command line, err, commands, then maybe google that to see what I am talking about. I am a Mac user, so I am tapping into some old school knowledge residing in a dusty back corner of my brain (but really, has DOS changed in 20 years?).

Kirk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kirk
---

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 22, 2009 09:51 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #41

ok dcraw works from the command prompt, but when I try and use it in zero noise I get this error message DCRAW not found in c:\dcraw.exe
Yet thats where it is

Bruce

kirkt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,929 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 22, 2009 10:23 |  #42

Try moving the dcraw executable out of the dcraw folder and straight into the root directory.

We'll get this working.

Kirk

Kirk
---

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 22, 2009 10:49 |  #43

Doh! Why didn't I try that ? That got it working Kirk, thanks oh so much ! Now I can have some fun .

Bruce

kirkt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,929 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 22, 2009 11:20 |  #44

You're welcome.

Best regards,

The Brute Force School of Technology and Troubleshooting, Inc.

Kirk
---

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,224 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 22, 2009 13:11 |  #45

kirkt wrote in post #9245167 (external link)
The Brute Force School of Technology and Troubleshooting, Inc.

Best school I ever attended. The course I got the most out of was Sledge Hammer 101.  :p :)

Website (external link) |

sponsored links

40,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zero Noise Extended DR Mini Tutorial
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.