Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 05 Nov 2009 (Thursday) 10:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Astronomik CLS filter - with and without

MintMark
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 05, 2009 10:37 |  #1

I took these a couple of weeks ago but only just got round to posting them, sorry about that :oops:

It's a comparison to show the effect of the Astronomik CLS filter. The images are just 15s at f2.8 ISO 800. I picked the most light polluted part of my sky, just above the roof line :) These images were taken 10 minutes apart.

You can see that the filter gives a much darker image with much less red. This is just as well since red is blown out in the non-filtered image. The filtered image has more stars visible and allows for longer exposures before the histogram reaches the middle of the graph. The histogram peak is narrower too, indicating less gradient. The gradient is still there though, so you still have to do some processing to flatten the sky intensity.

The clip filter itself is in a round metal frame which is sprung and fits into a recess in front of the camera's mirror when you have the lens off. It is quite a tight fit which means you have to apply some force get it in properly, and you might need to (carefully) use a tool to lever it out afterwards. Hopefully this will get easier with time.

The clip filter fits most Canon crop sensor cameras. Their website doesn't mention the 7D... I would be interested to know if it fits. It doesn't work with full frame cameras and it doesn't work with EF-S lenses. For me, it means I can't use it for very wide shots... perhaps an excuse to look for another lens.

Of course I have used the filter with a darker part of the sky and the longest exposure I have attempted is 3 minutes. The histogram reached almost half way, so that is probably the limit for my back garden. One day I'll process those images and post the result :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

sponsored links
VIGER
425 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 05, 2009 12:38 |  #2

Way to Mark! Thanks for doing the test.

Michel
Perception is reality
Canon 7D. - 5DmkII . 20D IR 10D - Canon 10-22mm - Canon 17-40mm L. 50mm 100mm /100mm macro , 200mm L ,70-200mm L Canon 400mm L - Takahahsi Mewlon 210. SkyWatcher 120ED

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 05, 2009 17:58 |  #3

Good result and thanks for testing/posting.

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

VIGER
425 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 05, 2009 20:20 |  #4

We need more guys like you.

Michel
Perception is reality
Canon 7D. - 5DmkII . 20D IR 10D - Canon 10-22mm - Canon 17-40mm L. 50mm 100mm /100mm macro , 200mm L ,70-200mm L Canon 400mm L - Takahahsi Mewlon 210. SkyWatcher 120ED

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,639 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 05, 2009 21:50 |  #5

Nice test Mark . I didn't realise the problem with installing and taking it out tho .

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 06, 2009 03:32 |  #6

MintMark wrote in post #8959590 (external link)
...it doesn't work with EF-S lenses.

Good comparison shots there. I must give mine a try on the horizons from my site, as they're terribly light polluted.

And yes, it's a pest they don't work with the EF-S lenses. I might have to hunt for a wide-angle or fisheye EF lens. ;)

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,639 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 06, 2009 08:25 |  #7

Adrena1in wrote in post #8964863 (external link)
I might have to hunt for a wide-angle or fisheye EF lens. ;)

When you find a good one you have a sweet lens for sure ! Lot's ppl doesn't realize how good a FE can be . I haven't got one but someday maybe :( .

MintMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 13, 2009 06:44 as a reply to  @ Celestron's post |  #8

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :) I didn't mean to abandon my thread... I've been playing with a new toy (telescope!). I'll just leave that hanging there ...

Anyway, I think a wide angle option to replace my 10-22 might be a tokina 11-16. It's supposed to have chromatic aberration, but maybe it won't be so bad. Other than that I looked at the 17-40L, but it's not that wide really with a crop sensor.

I'm working on another image taken at the same time as these. It actually shows some red nebulosity! I'm finding it hard to do fine adjustments to the curves in pixinsight LE... maybe I'm being too fussy. It's just that one small slip of the mouse on one of those control points and the pixels are everywhere!

I'll try and finish the image and post it. Then I'll take a picture of my new toy for you... of course I have questions to ask too :)

Mark

beeng
927 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 13, 2009 07:06 |  #9

Oooh awesome :D I thought about getting one of these until I realized it wouldn't fit the 1d :(

A roll of film, a carboard box, and a bobbypin

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 13, 2009 09:35 |  #10

MintMark wrote in post #9007100 (external link)
... new toy (telescope!). I'll just leave that hanging there ...

Waiting to hear...

MintMark wrote in post #9007100 (external link)
...replace my 10-22

Careful, I regretted selling mine...

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

VIGER
425 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 15, 2009 17:30 |  #11

I realized it wouldn't fit the 1d

Yep and I my 5D.
Bummer.

Michel
Perception is reality

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 15, 2009 18:36 |  #12

Might only be the Canon 10-22 that doesn't fit FF cameras. Could be Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron ultra-wides that do work.

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

jblaschke
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 18, 2009 15:37 |  #13

troypiggo wrote in post #9020913 (external link)
Might only be the Canon 10-22 that doesn't fit FF cameras. Could be Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron ultra-wides that do work.

Canon's EF-S lens is designed to not mount on full frame bodies. Many of the Sigma, Tok and Tammy ultrawides are "digital only" in that they're designed for crop bodies, but unlike the EF-S, they can mount on the full frame cameras. Only they produce a heavily vignetted image circle rather than a full frame image. If you're fine with that, great. Otherwise, you might be better off hunting for a fast prime...

Canon 7D | Canon 50D IR modified | Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | Canon FD 500mm 8.0 Reflex | Canon EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk I | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Meade 645 (762mm f/5)
Model Mayhem (external link) | DeviantArt (external link) | Lisa On Location: New Braunfels Photography (external link)

VIGER
425 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 18, 2009 18:29 |  #14

The filter wont fit FF chambers of the 5d and 1D - no room it seems.

Michel
Perception is reality

beeng
927 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 18, 2009 18:54 |  #15

I've also been looking into that too Viger, and our only option seems to be gels style inserts :\

A roll of film, a carboard box, and a bobbypin

sponsored links

11,061 views & 0 likes for this thread
Astronomik CLS filter - with and without
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.