Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 09 Nov 2009 (Monday) 19:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Parking in/near NYC?

scot079
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 09, 2009 19:52 |  #1

I'm in the DC area and would like to visit NYC. Instead of taking a bus or train, I'm thinking about driving just because it's cheaper. But what about parking? I'd like to park outside Manhattan and take the subway in.

Anyone have advice? Maybe park at an airport with subway access?

- Tim
www.timadkinsphoto.com (external link)
GEARandFEEDBACK

sponsored links
SSLooselips
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 09, 2009 21:10 |  #2

Not sure if you are going mid week or weekend as that would make a difference.

In NJ parking lots fill up with commuters early. If you are just parking for the day you could try Secaucus Train Station http://www.parkfast.co​m/content/secaucus-parking.jsp (external link)

You could park at one of the ferry terminals and go by water to take advantage of the great views. http://www.nywaterway.​com/ (external link)

If you are staying overnight there is a Courtyard By Marriott in Jersey City right next to the NJPath (subway) with free parking if you stay there.

This is just a few ideas from the NJ side. Hope it helps. Have fun!

scot079
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 10, 2009 04:43 |  #3

Thanks for your response and the ideas SSLooselips. I'll research the ferry a little more b/c that sounds great.

We'll probably be heading up there on a weekend.

- Tim
GEARandFEEDBACK

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 10, 2009 23:05 |  #4

There is a parking lot DIRECTLY across the street from the entrance. It has short term and long term (all day) parking avaliable.
I parked there last summer when I went back there.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,735 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 11, 2009 20:49 |  #5

the traffic in NYC isn't as bad as people think. I'd drive right in, park in a lot, and pay the 50 bucks or so. This way you won't have to rely on a train at night.

Either that, or come in to the city via the GW Bridge, go down the west side highway, or Henry Hudson Pkwy, and get off around 96th street. Often times you can get a street spot there free for the entire day. Then it's a few block walk to Central Park, and then two short miles to Columbus Circle, which is Central Park South on the west side, where the NYC Marathon enters the park at its end.

mark

sleeper_xti
61 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 11, 2009 21:36 |  #6

throw it in a parking lot...most of the ones in manhattan have early bird specials from 20-25 bucks for the day

Canon T1i; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

scot079
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 12, 2009 04:48 |  #7

Thanks for the ideas guys. Looking forward to my visit. Mark, I may just go "balls out" and drive right on to the city. :-) It seems to an expensive place to visit, so a free parking spot on the side of the street would be worth the gamble.

- Tim
GEARandFEEDBACK

sleeper_xti
61 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 12, 2009 11:59 |  #8

if you're looking for a free spot it's gonna be a lot tougher. the streets that don't have metered parking have alternate side street cleaning. so maybe if you get in right after they clean you can get a spot. try side streets, not avenues...around my area you can get parking in the teens off 1st, 2nd aves

Canon T1i; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

beejkim
25 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 12, 2009 12:19 |  #9

If it's a one-day trip, park in Queens and commute around with the subway with a one-day unlimited Metrocard. Looking for parking every time you visit another place is a pain in the rear.

Gear: Canon 40D Gripped - Canon 450D - Canon 24-105mm f/4 L - Canon 50mm f/1.8 II - Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro - Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

hslxsmd
402 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 12, 2009 21:24 as a reply to  @ beejkim's post |  #10

if you are comin on the weekend.. alot of side streets in manhattan allows you to park there.. you must read the signs carefully tho..

if it is a weekday. i suggest u park outside nyc like nj and take train/bus in.

| Canon 7D | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Canon G12 | GoPro Hero2 |

sponsored links

1,726 views & 0 likes for this thread
Parking in/near NYC?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.