Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Nov 2009 (Monday) 23:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mk iii and airshows. What settings can I not forget?

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 09, 2009 23:13 |  #1

Here it is.. I should get a new-to-me Mk iii... a day before I go to the Nellis Airshow in Vegas.

I've read through a LOT of threads here about settings. Birds in flight seems to be the most appropriate but they move a little slower than jets.

I've been through most of the x0d line 300, 20, 30, 50..

My main question is about AF 1st 2nd image priority and AF servo speed; but I'd welcome someone's complete airshow settings as a starting point.

Ideally I'd have a ton of time in with this camera before the airshow; but it wasn't in the cards.

Help and suggestions please?
Thanks in advance.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,185 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 09, 2009 23:24 |  #2

*subscribes to thread* ;-)a

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 09, 2009 23:35 |  #3

IF you use Center Point AF and IF you shoot in Manual Mode, then the only setting unique to the MkIII over a non 1-series (and maybe the 7D) would be the AF Speed.

I shoot mine at one notch off the slowest so that the AF will stay on the aircraft with which I'm panning when trying to shoot crossing shots.

With a long lens where you can fill the frame (or a large subject that does the same), you can choose to use helper AF points or not.

Also, I use the 9 Inner points but I bet I'm on the center point 99% of the time.

Have a great weekend. I was slated to make it to Nellis myself until we had a family tragedy this week from which I wasn't sure I'd have been home in time.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

H20boy
611 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 10, 2009 14:05 |  #4

I found myself leaning toward the off-center AF points more than center, depending on the direction in which the aircraft was moving... right to left -> right AF, etc. I changed my AF speed to fast, thinking my slow setting that I always used in sports wasn't keeping up as I was loosing shots for some reason. It helped (or at least I think it did). Also, on my IIN, i found that when the plane was far away, it could not lock on...such as when the plane was just as large as my center AF point. I figured I had just reached the limit of focus, and it locked more accurately when there was something larger in the viewfinder. As for lens length, I was using my 120-300+1.4xTC and wish I had a longer reach for the aerial manuevers...but not the flybys.

Enjoy the day! Hope the weather treats you well.

Matt l My Galleries (external link)
5d2 l 1d3 l 24-70/2.8 l Σ 50/1.4 l 70-200/2.8 IS l Σ 120-300/2.8 l 135/2 l 15/2.8 FE l Tam 90mac

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 10, 2009 14:11 |  #5

Tdragone wrote in post #8987700 (external link)
My main question is about AF 1st 2nd image priority and AF servo speed; but I'd welcome someone's complete airshow settings as a starting point.

I'd leave that at 0. Honestly I don't shoot airshows but when I shoot anything panning I don't need the full FPS burst rate so I'd ditch that for AF accuracy.
On top of that, I'd use Center point AF, the focus speed at default and have at it. Actually you could probably use it how it shows up and you'd be fine.

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

H20boy
611 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 10, 2009 14:30 |  #6

True to Mr. Clean, found that 6 fps was more than adequate in most instances, and often times found myself taking one shots more than the bursts...except when the classic crossing stunts, at 6fps I still couldn't catch it entirely. Forgot to bump it up.

Matt l My Galleries (external link)
5d2 l 1d3 l 24-70/2.8 l Σ 50/1.4 l 70-200/2.8 IS l Σ 120-300/2.8 l 135/2 l 15/2.8 FE l Tam 90mac

fire-eyes
81 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 12, 2009 17:57 |  #7

Hi Tdragone,

I live in Vegas and will try to be at the show both days. It's my favorite event period here. Maybe we can even meet up, whichever (or both) days I'm there, I always head for the far far left side of the crowd. Center crowd is a disaster, I suggest staying away, and the show is just as good at the far ends. So you may see me far far left and against the metal crowd barriers. I'll have two bodies, one with the 70-200 2.8L and another with the 300mm 2.8L. The later should be dead-obvious and on my right side or pointed at the sky. I'll have a dark green chair with me. Send me a private message if you are interested in meeting up.

I have shot this show the past two years with a mark III. The first was only with the 24-105L, the second with 70-200L. I have not changed either of the settings that you asked about from the default. I found that I was very, very pleased! So I guess my answer is experiment, but also don't be afraid of the defaults for those specific settings.

As for which focus point, I have found that I go with one of the points towards the side of the frame that the aircraft is moving. Usually one of the inners, occasionally one of the outers. If you get sick and tired of flipping them, go center.

Don't forget your metering modes! From experimentation, I have found that spot mode, ALSO linked to the focus point, works best for me. Note that I shoot in raw.

Other than that I shoot in Tv, 1/250 for propeller aircraft, 1/125 but no slower for helicopters, 1/1200 or higher for fast aircraft, and 1/2000 or even 1/4000 for the fastest and closest passes.

Make sure your ISO safety shift is enabled (I am not near the cam, I forget where the setting is at). This saved a number of shots for me.

You may also wish to ponder your storage options. Any other time, I write to both. I stupidly did that last year with an 8GB CF and 8GB SDHC and hated life pretty fast. Got back in the game by blowing out one card and then having it write to the other, but I still ran out. Gotta love hard lessons. This year I rented another mark III body along with a 32GB CF and 16GB SD (and the 300mm mentioned). Both bodies will be set to auto-switch, that is to say, write to one card till its full then switch to the other. The 300mm setup will see the majority of the abuse (yay rentals).

I'll throw in any other thoughts I have if I think of any. Again, contact me via private message if you are interested in meeting up at the show.

1D Mark III (1.2.3) || 24-105L f/4 IS || 70-200L f/2.8 IS || SpeedLite 580 EX II || Gitzo GT2541 + G1278M ball || Some Heliopan filters || Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW || Some other jazz

fire-eyes
81 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 13, 2009 19:30 as a reply to  @ fire-eyes's post |  #8

I knew I forgot something. Some folks will chide me for it but, experiment and see what you think of it. Enable Af point expansion. Basically what it does is if it can't find something to focus on at the focus point you selected, it will try to find something in one of the neighboring points. This can be a real nice save.

I only see it turn on rarely, but it's very obvious when it does. You'll have one AF point selected, and you'll see one of the neighboring ones light up at about half the brightness of the main one while the main one stays lit up at full brightness. This on my list of favorites about the mark III.

1D Mark III (1.2.3) || 24-105L f/4 IS || 70-200L f/2.8 IS || SpeedLite 580 EX II || Gitzo GT2541 + G1278M ball || Some Heliopan filters || Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW || Some other jazz

Tdragone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 15, 2009 22:55 |  #9

Thanks to all who answered this plea for insight.
The Airshow went well; Nellis was fun.. there were more planes in the air than last year; and I had a ton of fun. One individual kept moving our chairs aside and getting in the way of me and a friend videotaping the show; but that's another story.

For the camera; I ended up with a LOT less OOF shots than I had in years past with the 30D and this years Miramar airshow with the 50D.

I used the following:
menu 3 fn 3 af/Drive AF priority. I REALLY wanted to use Drive speed priority; but didn't.
menu 3 fn 8 af expansion on
No other settings were changed from defaults.

I did use eclipse on the sensor before the show; but sadly had a bunch of crud show up on my sensor using the 100-400.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a link on how to apply Dust Data captured AFTER the original shots were taken??
A few uncropped shots as a thank you:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tdragone/image/119426572.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tdragone/image/119426622.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tdragone/image/119426515.jpg

On the original mkiii battery: 2717 shots. Battery shows 60% left. The ENTIRE time using 100-400 with IS. MUCH different from the 4-5 batteries I go through on my 30/50D.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

45R
362 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 16, 2009 00:08 as a reply to  @ Tdragone's post |  #10

Nice photos! I can't wait till next years airshow season!

Canon 7D, Canon 30D, Canon 580EX,28-135mm IS USM
50mm F1.8,15mm F2.8,18-55mm Kit lens
17-40L,70-200LF2.8 IS, 2X TC

fire-eyes
81 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 16, 2009 01:17 |  #11

Nice. I had a good time, too. The shifted scheduling was a bit annoying, but I'll live. Moving the F-22 to the beginning of the show and the Thunderbirds to the very end bothered me.

I pushed myself and went both days, despite being sore... I had two mark III's, one with the 70-200L 2.8 IS and the other with the 300L 2.8 IS. While I found the weight a bit burdensome, the black rapid dual-camera shoulder strap setup was EXCELLENT. I cannot recommend one strongly enough.

I walked out of there with just over 3,000 images. Now begins the task of getting them in lightroom, doing backups, converting to DNG, rating, keywording .... Wee.

No samples yet, that's a long ways off...

sponsored links

1,831 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mk iii and airshows. What settings can I not forget?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.