Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Nov 2009 (Tuesday) 15:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Epson V600 scanner or CanoScan 8800F

Aweitzel
412 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 10, 2009 15:51 |  #1

Anyone own either?
Like the story goes, i want to upgrade my scanner from my all in one Kodak.
And of course i have years (atleast 30years) of old negatives, and old family photos that need Digitising.
Both are with in my price range, and both are brands i trust.
Normally i would just stick with my Kodak, and be done. But now that i own a wide format printer, im getting alot of family requests to scan and blow up old images. Plus it never hurts to back up old Film.
And i still from time to time shoot a roll of film on my Old canon, so again a negative scanner would aid in enlarging.
Any reviews, or recommendations would be welcome and helpful, thank you.

g9, 40d,28-135 kit, 55-250, 430EX, t-50( Yes its film.)
http://www.aweitzelpho​tography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
JEC
334 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 10, 2009 17:30 |  #2

I have the Canoscan 8800.

I like it. Reliable, quick....really quick, to start up, quick to scan, and very good results.
It integrates nicely with my systems, and most of the images I scan will are usually headed to wide format printers, with the end result delivered to customers.
It's used in a business enviroment, and gets heavy, trouble-free use.
I'll add another soon, for the front office staff. They like the .pdf creator function (though I prefer Acrobat 9 Pro when the need arises to make those)

sue.t
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 11, 2009 09:21 |  #3

I have the Epson V500 Photo. Purchased it a couple of years ago to replace my trusty HP All in One.

Have scanned hundreds of colour negatives and dozens of very old black/white negatives that are more than a half-century old. Even scanned some of those teeny negative strips from the 110 instamatic I had as a kid. All with impressive results.

Only issue I've had is with the 35mm negative holder. The occasional strip of negatives droops and may touch the glass, which ruins the scan. The effective workaround has been to put the negatives in the other way (so the curl rounds upwards rather than drooping) and then reverse the scan so the result is upside-right (or whatever the technical term might be!).

For a local business, have enlarged and printed scans from negatives to 13x19" for display at booths and in sales/marketing photo books.

Everyday documents scan bright and clear, much better than with the HP. Great clarity. Also means you need to be very fussy about the cleanliness of the glass ... every little dust speck shows all too well.

-

Aweitzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 12, 2009 08:00 |  #4

Thank you for the replies. I have good food for thought.
Its good to know that canon, the cheaper of the two is a good work horse.
And if the v500 is great, the v600 must equal it...

g9, 40d,28-135 kit, 55-250, 430EX, t-50( Yes its film.)
http://www.aweitzelpho​tography.com/ (external link)

snabjab
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 08, 2010 15:32 as a reply to  @ Aweitzel's post |  #5

Without intending to hijack the thread, I'm curious to hear a bit more about what one can expect from a moderately priced scanner like the V600 if one intends to scan in old prints. A few of my questions are:

1) How long does it take to complete a high quality scan?

2) Just how high quality will the resultant image be? Scanning an old 4x6 print will yield a digital image big enough to enlarge to, say, 8x10?

I guess that's it, actually. All input welcome!

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 08, 2010 15:52 |  #6

The best flatbed scanner now for medium format and 35mm film is the CanoScan 9000F. For 4x5 you're looking at the Epson v700 (CCFL) or v750 (LED). If you are just wanting to scan prints, buy the cheapest scanner you can, unless you think you need ICE (color only). Scanning prints isn't going to get you much with higher-end scanners for the most part.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

snabjab
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 08, 2010 16:25 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #7

I gather that scanning prints at 600dpi is what's generally done. So just using the scanning feature of any multifunction consumer printer/copier would be just as good for prints as a V600 class scanner?

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 08, 2010 16:36 |  #8

The biggest problem is that most prints don't have much tonal range compared to the negative. Remember, film compresses the dynamic range of a scene (s-curve) and a print compresses that even further (another s-curve). As long as the scanner can do 8-bit (24-bit color) you should be fine. Nearly all are 48-bit today.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 08, 2010 18:13 |  #9

I've gotten pretty good results from printing scans of 4x6 prints, but certainly not what I'd consider top-notch. But, it's fine for personal use and you can take it from there. I've actually given people scans of prints and they've been thrilled. Like you mentioned, you want one that will scan at 600ppi.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

David ­ C
98 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 08, 2010 18:23 |  #10

Interesting thread, but do note that the original post was a year ago, and the OP has probably gotten deep into or finished the project by now. Still, it would be interesting to know what he actually did and how he liked the result.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 08, 2010 18:59 |  #11

David C wrote in post #11419135 (external link)
Interesting thread, but do note that the original post was a year ago, and the OP has probably gotten deep into or finished the project by now. Still, it would be interesting to know what he actually did and how he liked the result.

Heh! Good, observation, but snabjab did bump it with a new question, so, well, whatever works:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,813 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 08, 2010 20:07 |  #12

Example of Canon 8800F on a medium format slide, direct out of scanner, no postprocessing...

(resized for POTN)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/645scan_0003.jpg

My sole complaint: It won't scan 4x5 transparencies!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

snabjab
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 09, 2010 11:43 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #13

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread - in all honesty, I misread and thought I was responding to a thread from this year. My mistake, though hopefully the new posts add some useful substance.

Thanks for all of the helpful comments, it's much appreciated. I'm a little surprised to learn that a more expensive scanner won't yield significant benefits. A cheap $60 multifunction (e.g. the Canon MX320 (external link)) will really perform just as well for scanning prints? They would have equivalent resolution? Is it likely that it would take roughly the same amount of time per scan?

I realize that such questions can vary quite a bit by device, but I'm eager to better assess whether it would make sense to purchase a new scanner for this project. And yes, sites like ScanCafe etc are also under consideration.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 09, 2010 11:51 |  #14

Yes, because the limitation is your source (the prints). If you're doing a lot of prints, you should make sure it can scan the largest print you have and if it can do so automatically using a tray feeder.

Scanners that do film are much more expensive because film has a greater resolution and dynamic range than prints, thus the need for more sophisticated technologies.

snabjab
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 09, 2010 12:07 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #15

Thanks so much. I'm not bad with technical issues in general but it's taking me some time to learn the contours of this particular issue.

I believe that we still have negatives for many of the old family photos that I intend to scan. Do I understand correctly then that spending extra money on something like the Epson V600 would provide no benefit for scanning prints but would provide the functionality to yield higher quality scans from negatives?

Thank you! I greatly appreciate the help.

sponsored links

16,078 views & 0 likes for this thread
Epson V600 scanner or CanoScan 8800F
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.