Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 12 Nov 2009 (Thursday) 07:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A tale of two (Win7) systems...

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 12, 2009 07:17 |  #1

I've been out of the desktop loop for awhile (although I deal with high end Solaris servers at work ;) ) but it's time to replace my P4 2.64gz XP machine. I need this run Photoshop CS3 (and maybe Premiere Elements), and that's it. My old P4 will still run iTunes/Office/internet​/general computing (at least until I move the stuff over eventually)

I've been pricing systems at dell.com (we're a Dell family, as well as Toyota :lol: ) but I've found these two systems at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com​/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+Desktop+with​+Intel%26%23174%3B+Cor​e%26%23153%3B2+Duo+Pro​cessor/9532455.p?id=12​18120174704&skuId=9532​455 (external link)

Looks good, except the 5400RPM drive. Will that kill me? My raw files will be living on a 7200RPM external FW drive, and with 6GB of memory, how often will the O/S drive need to be accessed anyway?

http://www.bestbuy.com​/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+with​+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3​B+II+X4+Quad-Core+Processor/9549401​.p?id=1218122580360&sk​uId=9549401 (external link)

Looks good too. My wife has an AMD and it's nice and speedy for internet/MS-Word stuff.

I also have one of those 10% off coupons for BB that have been floating around. It doesn't list "Computers" as a category, but maybe they'll take it?

I'd like to keep it under $600.

sponsored links
basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 12, 2009 09:42 |  #2

http://configure.us.de​ll.com …19&kc=desktop-studio-mini (external link)
Upgrade the cpu to quad core q8300, then go to newegg and buy 2x2gb ram for about $50. You'll have a 6gb, quad core intel computer for under $550. can't get better than that.

Currently, the amd athlon quad core chips are on par with high end dual core intel chips, much, much better choice to go with even a lower end intel quad core like the q8300

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

egordon99
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 12, 2009 09:49 as a reply to  @ basroil's post |  #3

Thanks...My IT friend said to stay away from the 5400RPM drive on the BB Dell, and to avoid AMD...So your link looks like it could work...

egordon99
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 12, 2009 09:52 as a reply to  @ egordon99's post |  #4

I don't think I looked at their "Studio" line....Seems like that could be the ticket! Will 2GB be ok to start with? figured if I want to upgrade, I could then go to crucial.com

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 12, 2009 10:23 |  #5

egordon99 wrote in post #9002010 (external link)
I don't think I looked at their "Studio" line....Seems like that could be the ticket! Will 2GB be ok to start with? figured if I want to upgrade, I could then go to crucial.com

newegg usually has better deals.

As for 5400rpm drives, none of the studio and studio xps systems use one, even the laptops have 7200rpm

Ram is very easy to switch, cpu: not so much, and could void the warranty depending on the manufacturer.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

BeritOlam
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 12, 2009 16:58 |  #6

egordon99 wrote in post #9002010 (external link)

Prices can fluctuate, but on the whole Newegg is hard to beat....especially for you guys that don't live in California. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

But even as a Cali-resident, the only times I don't buy from them is usually due to some place out of state offering a slightly better deal when you factor in what I would pay Newegg in sales tax. If I didn't have to pay California sales tax, I'd probably be buying from them at least 95% of the time.

I have bought stuff from Crucial.com a few times in the past, but as of late usually I'll find RAM slightly cheaper at a place like Newegg.

Supposedly the newer 5400-drives are much better than the 5400's that came out 5+ years ago....but (if performance is even the least bit important for you) I'd still go for a 7200rpm drive if you can.

Gear List

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. – Herbert Hoover

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 13, 2009 15:40 |  #7

The AMD Athlon X4 620 is one of the best processors bang for buck at it's price point. If you do any serious amount of multi-tasking then the 620 is a better bet than the C2D especially for idle power consumption. Simply put Intel has nothing in that price range that can compete, hence why you can get a faster HD/etc in the AMD system.

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

egordon99
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 13, 2009 20:39 as a reply to  @ Faolan's post |  #8

I ended up getting this HP for just over $600 shipped....Thanks for everyone's input!

HP Pavilion p6280t PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q8300 [2.5GHz, 4MB L2, 1333MHz FSB]
• 6GB DDR2-800MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
• FREE UPGRADE! 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
• 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
• LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
• Wireless-G LAN card
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio
• Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
• No speakers
• HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse
• Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
• No additional security software
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

sponsored links

1,105 views & 0 likes for this thread
A tale of two (Win7) systems...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.