Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 12 Nov 2009 (Thursday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Easy question for group shots

Pigsy
79 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 12, 2009 15:47 |  #1

Hi Guys and Gals,

Nice easy question,

What lens are you all using to do standard line up shots inside the church, say a basic gathering of 10 people in a line, the B&G + Parents, and bridesmaids etc etc?

Currently I'm using a Sigma 10-20 DC HSM F4-5.6 on a 40D for a lot of shots like this, such as inside the church, or even inside the brides home for tight areas such as bedrooms for dress shots etc. But I'm really unhappy with the results, and I don't think it's due to having a bad copy of the lens. The person in the middle of the group shot is always more or less in focus, never what you'd call pin sharp, but as for the people outside that centre zone, especially as you approach the edges, Whoa !!, even at f11, or upwards, anyone outside the "middle", are really way outta focus, so much that they almost turn into a flesh coloured blob.

Now okay, Iit may well be a fault, but regardless of that what lens are you using for this part of the day as I've also got a 17-55, but on a cropped body it's not always wide enough for the group shots

Thanks in advance

Jim..

https://photography-on-the.net …php?do=newreply​&p=3054829

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 12, 2009 17:40 |  #2

I have to guess it's the lens. I wonder though if the focus plane is a straight line, or a curved line equidistant from the lens - not sure I explained that well.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

ameerat42
588 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 12, 2009 17:42 |  #3

Someone may already have beaten me, so I'll third what "tim" said. Can you do some tests of flat surfaces? Am...

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 12, 2009 17:55 |  #4

You don't have to put "tim" in speech marks, it's really my name :p

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Pigsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 12, 2009 18:47 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #5

Yeah, I have done some test shots a while back, and well, I fully appreciate that with a 10-20 you're gonna get some distortion, especially once you leave the centre of the image. Distortion I can handle, it's the OOF that's driving me crazy.

So, let's just say for the sake or arguing, that I'm gonna get shot of this lens, what is everyone else using for the group shots, don't tell me that you're all using 17-55, and standing way back ? surely not ?

and Tim, I totally follow the focal plane comment, you may well be onto something there, but nonetheless, what lens are you using ?

Just curious ..

Jim..

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 12, 2009 18:53 |  #6

I use the 17-55 for group shots. I've never done group shots in a church, 99% outside, 1% inside a room at the reception with studio lighting at F8.

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 12, 2009 20:34 |  #7

I use a 10-20 for large groups, and I get good results as far as focus goes. I usually run it through DxO so the people on the edges aren't too distorted.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 12, 2009 20:49 |  #8

Oh I use a 10-22 occasionally for really big group shots, but i'd rather stand back and get more in the frame. The wider the lens and the closer you are to the group the smaller the faces at the back are.

Pigsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 13, 2009 02:25 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #9

Okay Tim, the 10-22 is that the Canon version ?

and Paul 10-20, is this the Sigma that I'm using ?

anymore takers on what wide angle you're all using for the group shots ?

Jim..

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 13, 2009 03:39 |  #10

10-22 is the Canon. 3.5 - 4.5 I think. Works pretty well.

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 13, 2009 03:59 |  #11

Pigsy wrote in post #9006610 (external link)
Okay Tim, the 10-22 is that the Canon version ?

and Paul 10-20, is this the Sigma that I'm using ?

anymore takers on what wide angle you're all using for the group shots ?

Jim..

Yep, that's the one. Can't recall the min. Fstops at the moment.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

Billo78
351 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 13, 2009 05:05 |  #12

I think the 10-20 is a BAD lens for this type of shot. The distortion of the people at the edge of the frame is very unflattering and as "tim" said you'll get a big heads at the front and tiny heads at the back which doesn't look good. You're way better off using the 17-55 and moving back further (ideally outside). I've even seen a 'tog using a 70-200 for the group shots and standing 20 metres away, no idea how they turned out but optically I'd suggest they were great (not sure how you'd go building rapport at that distance though, and she was pretty much the soup n a z i of wedding togs).

Edit: Oh, and I think there's something wrong with your lens. Everything should be in focus shooting that wide at f/11. Can you post an example?

Photography Blog (external link)
Adelaide Based Wedding Photographer (external link)

Gear: 5D2, 40D, 580 EX II, 430 EX II, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 18-200 OS

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 13, 2009 06:55 |  #13

I'll echo much of what's already been said. I use the Sigma 10-20 and it's a great lens for the price. My images are sharp across the field, but color and contrast, while good, are different than what I get through my other Canon lenses so I need to play around in PP to give them a more consistent look. I would never, though, use this lens for a group shot. If I can't get a group shot done with my 24-70 on a FF, then I've either set the shot up wrong or we need to step outside. But for environmental shots or those inside a limo, the 10-20 does a nice job for not too many $'s.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

hyeon
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 13, 2009 07:00 |  #14

i am using 11-16 for group shots, works pretty well for me.

Valjoy
459 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 13, 2009 07:28 |  #15

I use the 17-55 for group shots. Unless you are really tight for room you dont have to stand that far back at all.
Maybe for the large...(all the guests) shot you need wider....but I just get further back for this shot.
cheers Val

sponsored links

2,029 views & 0 likes for this thread
Easy question for group shots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.