Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 13 Nov 2009 (Friday) 16:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

conecting 2 computers

rayman ­ 64
60 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 13, 2009 16:42 |  #1

hi i've got a couple of tower desktops is there any way of conecting them and running them as one system via some form of cable just a thought thanks ray

My website http://www.ortonphotog​raphy.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 13, 2009 17:14 |  #2

Two towers can be run as two towers. You can remote desktop from one to the other, but they will always be two. Simply use an Ethernet cable and you can remote desktop (or if both are on your home network, then they already can do this, given that the computer you are connecting to has windows pro (xp, vista, or 7 all have a professional/business version, 2000 is always professional)

Now, if you want to run a distributed computing app, you'll need a few things:
1) a better forum, this is for PHOTOGRAPHY, not computer system building. People here can be knowledgeable, but you are asking for the stuff that specialized companies sell for millions.
2) fast interconnects, fibre or other, most setups probably cost more than your computers and camera equipment combined
3) High performance computing OS. Windows HPC and several types of linux/unix work, but they can't run photoshop correctly.
4) Time, because these things aren't the type of builds you can do overnight.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 13, 2009 20:00 |  #3

Depends what you're trying to do. A crossover network cable will let them communicate cheaply, but they'll always look and work like two computers.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

BeritOlam
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 14, 2009 02:29 |  #4

basroil wrote in post #9010355 (external link)
Two towers can be run as two towers....

Really? I've been wondering about that..... ;)

Tim, as Basroil points out, it would be quite easy to set up *one network* with 2 towers....but combining 2 towers to work as *one system* is a very different animal altogether.

You'll have to expand a bit on your initial question if you want more feedback.

Gear List

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. – Herbert Hoover

rayman ­ 64
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 14, 2009 07:43 as a reply to  @ BeritOlam's post |  #5

thanks for all your suggestions all im trying to do if possible is to have say a tower as a main computer and the other one as some sort of slave allowing me to move data/files from one to another using one screen,mouse,keyboard etc again thanks

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,201 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 14, 2009 08:19 |  #6

If it's just storage you are after, just move the hard drive(s) into the main machine or fit them in external enclosures for portability/backup.

Bat as Tim said, to connect them up via the NIC cards just plug a cross-over cat-5 cable between them, You may have to make sure they are both in the same workgroup and in the same IP subnet and enable file sharing on the drive(s)

Kev

highbarger
185 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 14, 2009 08:40 |  #7

rayman 64 wrote in post #9013022 (external link)
thanks for all your suggestions all im trying to do if possible is to have say a tower as a main computer and the other one as some sort of slave allowing me to move data/files from one to another using one screen,mouse,keyboard etc again thanks

If you want to run two machines from one keyboard/monitor and mouse combination, you might be looking for a KVM switch. Here is a link (external link) to one example of a KVM switch. I don't have any experience with this product so this is NOT an endorsement, for educational purposes only:p

JohnnyEgo
80 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 14, 2009 08:58 |  #8

Between work, personal, and family computers, I have five computers on a wired network and three more on wireless. I have an off-the-shelf router and a bunch of CAT5 cable. It cost about $50 all told to link them all together. Didn't even have to mess with any protocols, because XP did all the configurating for me many years ago. The knowledge burden for setting up a small home network these days is lower then what it took to remove your computer from the box and hook up all the peripherals.

At the computer I am on right now, I have a tower and a laptop hooked into an old TrendNet 2 port KVM switch. I can press a hot key on the keyboard, and instantly switch monitor, mouse, and keyboard from laptop to tower and vice-versa. In either one, I can transfer data back and forth with ease over the network. In fact, some of my program defaults on my laptop save and retrieve files to a folder on my tower automatically. What's more, I can access my DVD and CD drives and printers from my tower by any other computer in my house, as long as both are on.

Many of the newer KVM switches incorporate USB ports, so you could presumably plug a powered or unpowered hub and share all your USB peripherals simultaneously. You can get a good KVM switch in the $30-50 range as well.

New guy with a camera.
JohnnyEgo.com (external link)

nwa2
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 14, 2009 09:18 |  #9

Why do you want to do this? Is it to multi task?

Canon 6D; 7D; 40D:
There are many tomorrows', but only one today!!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Black]http://www.Abercrombie​.me.Uk (external link)
http://imagesix.wordpr​ess.com/ (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 14, 2009 12:00 |  #10

rayman 64 wrote in post #9013022 (external link)

http://www.howtogeek.c​om …between-windows-7-and-xp/ (external link)
http://support.microso​ft.com/kb/304040 (external link)
http://technet.microso​ft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.as​px (external link)

Happy reading

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

rayman ­ 64
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 14, 2009 12:31 |  #11

JohnnyEgo wrote in post #9013243 (external link)
Between work, personal, and family computers, I have five computers on a wired network and three more on wireless. I have an off-the-shelf router and a bunch of CAT5 cable. It cost about $50 all told to link them all together. Didn't even have to mess with any protocols, because XP did all the configurating for me many years ago. The knowledge burden for setting up a small home network these days is lower then what it took to remove your computer from the box and hook up all the peripherals.

At the computer I am on right now, I have a tower and a laptop hooked into an old TrendNet 2 port KVM switch. I can press a hot key on the keyboard, and instantly switch monitor, mouse, and keyboard from laptop to tower and vice-versa. In either one, I can transfer data back and forth with ease over the network. In fact, some of my program defaults on my laptop save and retrieve files to a folder on my tower automatically. What's more, I can access my DVD and CD drives and printers from my tower by any other computer in my house, as long as both are on.

Many of the newer KVM switches incorporate USB ports, so you could presumably plug a powered or unpowered hub and share all your USB peripherals simultaneously. You can get a good KVM switch in the $30-50 range as well.

thats exactly what i was thinking of a kvm switch i,ll look into that and again many thanks for the links and advice:lol:

rayman ­ 64
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 14, 2009 12:42 as a reply to  @ rayman 64's post |  #12

basroil thanks for the help and the links very appreciated:)

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,177 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Nov 16, 2009 07:58 |  #13

i control my Laptop over my network with my workstation mouse and keyboard using a free utility called Synergy (external link)

it allows me to copy and paste text as well, which is useful when im chatting over IM and someone sends me a link etc..

but if you only have 1 monitor a KVM Switch is your easy answer

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 16, 2009 10:47 as a reply to  @ Bobster's post |  #14

I'm getting a new "Photoshop" dedicated PC, and rather than trying to migrate all my iTunes/Office/Outlook/​misc. stuff from my old PC (which works fine for lightweight computing), I'm going to use a RemoteDesktop app to access the old PC (which runs the RD server) from my new PC (runs the RD client)...

I forgot which one I've used in the past, but here's a good article on some options -

http://www.online-tech-tips.com …screen-sharing-solutions/ (external link)

If both PCs are running XP/Vista/whatever Professional, you can use Window's RemoteDesktop.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 16, 2009 10:58 |  #15

egordon99 wrote in post #9024345 (external link)
If both PCs are running XP/Vista/whatever Professional, you can use Window's RemoteDesktop.

False: You only need pro version on the one you are remote desktop'ing to, all versions have a remote desktop connection client, only pro has the server.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
conecting 2 computers
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.