Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 16 Nov 2009 (Monday) 14:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Deneb area widefield

MintMark
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 16, 2009 14:44 |  #1

Here is a widefield picture of the area behind cygnus. It is 11x120s shot at 35mm f2.8 ISO800 on a Canon 1000D with an Astronomik CLS clip filter mounted on an Astrotrac.

This was one of my first real attempts with the filter and I'm really pleased with how much I can see in this picture. There's the North America nebula of course (my first nebulosity) and a little of the pelican too. Above that is M39 and just left and up from there you can see a small black strip leading to the cocoon nebula. Any other sights in there?

I would have shot for longer, but this scene was disappearing over the roof of the house.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

sponsored links
jmx
147 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 16, 2009 20:57 |  #2

I like it, but its super dark. Was that on purpose?

I stretched the image a bit more, but cant really do much with a compressed 8bt jpeg.

HOSTED PHOTO

http://jmx.ls1howto.co​m (external link)Beginner astro shots w/50D
Scopes: 6" Newtonian (750mm f/5), Skywatcher Equinox 80 (500mm f/6.25), AT 8" Newtonian (800mm f/4).
Old astrophoto setup for sale (SoCal only): http://jmx.ls1howto.co​m/forsale/index.html (external link)

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 17, 2009 02:08 |  #3

Wow, that brought NGC7000 out beautifully...wish I knew how to PP my astro-images so well! ;)

Cygnus and the surrounding area is one of my favourite parts of the sky to shoot.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

kostas75
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 17, 2009 03:58 |  #4

Hello MintMark
It would be an interesting project to go to a dark site and try again this target with/without the Astronomik CLS filter. Try an exposure of 10 minutes with the Astrotrac setup and shoot in RAW mode.
I am sure you will be astonished by the result :)
Kostas

www.albireo.gr (external link)

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 17, 2009 05:44 |  #5

Wonder where the nearest really decent dark site is to Hampshire. Thinking of taking myself on a camping trip somewhere some time.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

MintMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 18, 2009 07:25 as a reply to  @ Adrena1in's post |  #6

Jmx your stretching worked really well. I did try stretching it more during the original processing but whenever I emphasised the nebula it also emphasised red halos around many of the stars (CA from the lens I think). Your stretching has brought out some blue patches in the backgound. All I can think is that the jpeg compression for posting removed the halos so it wasn't a problem when stretching it again. I'm using pixinsight LE for curves... what did you do?

Kostas, I did try a 3 minute exposure and the peak was half way across the histogram, so I thought 2m was OK for my polluted location. And much longer than possible without the filter. And yes, I would be astonished at a 10 minute exposure, expecially if there was no trailing! :)

Thanks for the comments. I'll try processing it again. As for trips somewhere dark... it all depends on the weather doesn't it. Still, we have our own dark sky park in Scotland now. I wonder how often it is clear?

Mark

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,618 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 18, 2009 08:00 |  #7

Very nice Mark .

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 18, 2009 08:53 |  #8

Great work Mark. That's a beautiful part of the night sky.

Your original here shows your red channel clipped, the green and blue are much better. Jmx's stretch nicely recovered some of the red channel. If you place the two images side by side and compare histograms you'll see the change. If you do a test sample of a darkest region of the background you'll see the RGB numbers are quite a bit uneven. If you go for R=25, G=25 and B=25 (or as close as possible) then all else will fall in place.

The more I see Astrotrac images the more I'd like one for a grab 'n go rig.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2009 03:16 |  #9

Nighthound wrote in post #9036305 (external link)

Likewise, but I'd still rather try and make a powered Barn Door Tracker myself.

foxbat
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 19, 2009 06:42 |  #10

Adrena1in wrote in post #9029430 (external link)
Wonder where the nearest really decent dark site is to Hampshire. Thinking of taking myself on a camping trip somewhere some time.

Definitely Wales. The weather can be 'challenging' for camping over there though. The New Forest would be another good bet but not as dark.

(ref: http://www.cpre.org.uk …y/results/light​-pollution (external link))

Andy Brown; South-east England. Canon, Sigma, Leica, Zeiss all on Canon DSLRs. My hacking blog (external link).

MintMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 22, 2009 03:12 |  #11

Adrena1in wrote in post #9042099 (external link)
Likewise, but I'd still rather try and make a powered Barn Door Tracker myself.

I really considered building a barn door tracker but, even though I have O-level woodwork :) , I knew I would quickly get frustrated with it. The main problems I thought would be

• Nuts and bolts. Getting hold of imperial threads for camera and tripod mounting is a bit of hassle.
  • Alignment. You need some way of aligning the hinge with north. I didn't know so much about collimating polar and finder scopes then, so I thought this would be really hard.
  • Accuracy... of the drive. It would only ever be useful for widefield.
So I bought an Astrotrac. I tell my wallet that I am doing my bit to support British (and US) innovation and engineering :)

Mark

MintMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 22, 2009 04:35 |  #12

Nighthound wrote in post #9036305 (external link)
Great work Mark. That's a beautiful part of the night sky.

Your original here shows your red channel clipped, the green and blue are much better. Jmx's stretch nicely recovered some of the red channel. If you place the two images side by side and compare histograms you'll see the change. If you do a test sample of a darkest region of the background you'll see the RGB numbers are quite a bit uneven. If you go for R=25, G=25 and B=25 (or as close as possible) then all else will fall in place.

OK, I took the advice from the thread and reprocessed the image. The basic steps I did were

• Stretiching and gradient removal (same as first attemnpt)
  • Colour balancing the background by adjusting the dark point of each channel's histogram. The CLS filter gives you an image with less red. When you balance it you reduce green and blue and end up with pink stars (or pink halos around stars).
  • Enhanced the nebula. I ended up creating a mask for this by thresholding the red channel and applying a median filter to eliminate the tiny red areas, leaving just the large areas of red. With the mask in place I could boost the red without turning the stars into pink mush.
  • Removed the mask and reduced the red highlights, so the stars with red halos don't look so pink. Having said that, the jpeg compression seems to take out the star colours anyway.
Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

sponsored links

1,986 views & 0 likes for this thread
Deneb area widefield
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.