Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Nov 2009 (Monday) 19:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

would you buy a camera...

joey1234
538 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 16, 2009 19:03 |  #1

from a rental company??? I was thinking about it.. and wondering if it would be a waste..

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 16, 2009 19:13 |  #2

Would you buy a car from Hertz, Avis, Enterprise or any other auto rental company? I suppose it depends upon the price and how critical your needs are.

Most folks who rent stuff are not invested in it's care, maintenance, nor what ultimately happens to it. Because of this some people abuse gear/cars. For my wedding work I depend upon critical gear. I can't be worrying about what the previous user did to it. Now, this doesn't mean I might not rent it myself for one or two uses. But ownership is another consideration.

Who is selling the gear?
What sort of warranty do they offer?
Do they have mtce. records?
Do they bench test/certify it before selling?
Do they have a money back guarantee?
Can you try before you buy?
How does their "sell" price compared to the same gear on the used market?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

joey1234
THREAD ­ STARTER
538 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 16, 2009 19:16 |  #3

Im looking to use it as a backup to my wedding gear. the seller does offer a 90 day warranty and 3 day inspection which is pretty cool.. sell price seems to be on par with the used market nomicu lower or higher.

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 16, 2009 19:17 |  #4

Would you buy a car from a car rental company? My thoughts are that many people abuse / neglect rental equipment of any kind, and that it may have been exposed to cats, tobacco smoke, or worse. With photo equipment, ask yourself why the rental company is getting rid of the unit. Several possibilities come to mind:

o It's not a popular item among renters
o It's getting old / cosmetically unappealing
o They want it out of their stock before renters have issues with it and hassle them

lensrentals.com says that for most gear they rotate it out of stock after 20 rentals. Other places may have different policies.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

joey1234
THREAD ­ STARTER
538 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 16, 2009 19:20 as a reply to  @ anthony11's post |  #5

after 20 rentals sounds pretty good, but is that truthful??

scubthebub
894 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 16, 2009 19:22 |  #6

anthony11 wrote in post #9027150 (external link)
lensrentals.com says that for most gear they rotate it out of stock after 20 rentals. Other places may have different policies.

haha it sounds like they may be talking about lens rentals. I rented a 100mm macro from them that was 4+ months old and it looked and worked pristine. If the company is legit and it has a good warranty period why not? A lot of users here buy from the used forum with less warranty.

You can also call me Matt
|| 5Dc+Grip | 20D || 24-105
L | 50 f/1.8 II | Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 <-Crap on FF |
| 550EX | Yongnuo RF 602 triggers | Aperture 3 | Lowepro Pro Trekker 300 AW |

Flickr (external link) | Redbubble (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 16, 2009 19:23 |  #7

Hard to say - but then, ask yourself what percentage of those folks are likely to REALLY abuse the lens/body.... knocking it about, extreme heat/cold, dust, moisture, perhaps dropping it. But, here's what you can do....

Within the 90-day warranty period, really use the body extensively - not abuse it, but put it through it's paces. Make it your primary camera. If anybody has really treated it badly the flaws should show up within that warranty period..... maybe.

joey1234 wrote in post #9027166 (external link)
after 20 rentals sounds pretty good, but is that truthful??

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 16, 2009 19:26 |  #8

I think I'd be more careful with a rental simply because I don't want to abuse it and have to pay for it (which I couldn't afford and is why I'm renting it in the first place...)

Of course there will always be the odd 600 f/4 that's had a good bath... :lol:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 16, 2009 19:28 |  #9

I'm sure that's a true statement, but typically aren't they just one or two owners, tops? A rental place subjects it to many. Not saying it's a bad idea one way or another - just have to view it in the proper context.

scubthebub wrote in post #9027176 (external link)
..... If the company is legit and it has a good warranty period why not? A lot of users here buy from the used forum with less warranty.

GEAR LIST

joey1234
THREAD ­ STARTER
538 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 16, 2009 19:32 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #10

one hand i look at it and say- its a backup-- wont be used much- BUT on the oyther hand, i think what if the backup craps out!! ouch..

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 16, 2009 19:42 |  #11

I know - tough call. What is it and how much do they want? (Not asking who it is...).

All of my old Hasselblad lenses were used, the original body and 3 of the 4 film backs. But those components were built like tanks. One film I still have is 40 years old.

joey1234 wrote in post #9027225 (external link)
one hand i look at it and say- its a backup-- wont be used much- BUT on the oyther hand, i think what if the backup craps out!! ouch..

GEAR LIST

joey1234
THREAD ­ STARTER
538 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 16, 2009 19:50 |  #12

40d - below 500 -

joey1234
THREAD ­ STARTER
538 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 16, 2009 19:50 |  #13

honestly looking aorund though-- i may pick up a new 50d should be a good backup..

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 16, 2009 20:39 |  #14

That's probably not unreasonable, although I'm not that familiar with the used market. Keh.com has used bodies in EX condition starting at $645, and up from there. Their ratings are pretty conservative too, so EX is probably better than that.

http://www.keh.com …d/0/40d/Grade/0​/0/SE.aspx (external link)

joey1234 wrote in post #9027342 (external link)
40d - below 500 -

GEAR LIST

joey1234
THREAD ­ STARTER
538 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 16, 2009 20:49 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #15

I hlove KEH

sponsored links

873 views & 0 likes for this thread
would you buy a camera...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.