Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Nov 2009 (Monday) 19:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What lens to buy?

doublehmom
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 16, 2009 19:16 |  #1

I am getting a new to me RebelXsi on Wednesday~I am very excited!!! I have downgraded though but that is what I wanted~anyway~I have a nifty fifty and 24-70L. I was wondering if you could me some advice on a good walk-around lens and a nice portrait lens~I was thinking the 85mm but I really have no clue.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 16, 2009 20:42 |  #2

It just so happens that the 24-70L is both a nice walk-around lens AND a nice portrait lens....I'd stick with that for a little while while you get the hang of everything. After you get used to shooting with the 24-70, it should become obvious which direction you'd like to go (wider/longer/faster?)

What didn't you like about the 5DII? As nice as the Xsi is, it's no 5DII ;)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 16, 2009 20:46 |  #3

If the 24-70 is too heavy for a walk-around, the 18-55 IS has a lot going for it.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2009 20:48 |  #4

I always considered both of those lenses to be excellent for portraits on a 1.6x crop. I think you are set.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

555 views & 0 likes for this thread
What lens to buy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.