Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Nov 2009 (Thursday) 15:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally a 24-70 sharp at both ends. I think!

RobertZ
611 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 19, 2009 15:14 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Just replaced my last one (soft at one end and always mis focused). BTW that was an Adorama refurb. Many people argue that the refurbs from Canon are better because they undergo a reeval and calibration. This one was a new copy from Adorama so yes I paid full price :cry:.

Here are some shots, all handheld and center point focus in center of battery: (looks like TinyPic downgrades the pic a bit but oh well). Kind of a stupid thread but there are so many posts about issues with the 24-70 (including my own posts) that I'd thought this would help.

full pic downsized, 24mm, ISO 400, 1/500, f2.8

IMAGE: http://i49.tinypic.com/fv8glu.jpg

100% Crop, 24mm, ISO 400, 1/500, f2.8
IMAGE: http://i48.tinypic.com/20fqjyq.jpg

full pic downsized, 70mm, ISO 200, 1/500, f2.8
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

100% Crop, 70mm, ISO 200, 1/500, f2.8
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

5D MK II I Prime Trinity I Zoom Trinity
SALES FEEDBACK

sponsored links
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2009 15:15 |  #2

I hesitate to ask... How is it in the middle? ;)

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

RobertZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
611 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 19, 2009 15:19 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

amfoto1 wrote in post #9045504 (external link)
I hesitate to ask... How is it in the middle? ;)

:shock: I need more coffee....

Actually, I'm waiting for the "Let us know when you get the filter" post.

SALES FEEDBACK

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,672 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 19, 2009 16:19 |  #4

RobertZ wrote in post #9045529 (external link)
:shock: I need more coffee....

Actually, I'm waiting for the "Let us know when you get the filter" post.

Lemme help you here, in that case.

Could you please remove the filter, and shoot those batteries again? We can't really judge the sharpness this way ...

:lol::lol::lol:

<GDR>

Kind regards, Wim

P.S.: looks good to me, but I am interested in the middle, too. It generally is best at around 50 mm ... :D

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 19, 2009 16:22 |  #5

I could nitpick the CA on the second battery shot...... ;)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,672 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 19, 2009 16:24 |  #6

tkbslc wrote in post #9045887 (external link)
I could nitpick the CA on the second battery shot...... ;)

Hey! That is very charming CA! After all, it is the longitudinal variety :D.

At least we know this lens has some spherical aberration contributing towards great bokeh :D.

Kind regards, Wim ;)

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 19, 2009 16:25 |  #7

Have you used the micro adjust and yes removed the filter and is it set on one shot focus without expanded center? Your photos are not downloading for me so I'm just going through my trouble shot list, and I know the angst while one is trying to be sure their lens and body are working together and sharp, also are you shooting at 100 ISO which will give the best clarity and that the histogram is enough to the right, underexposed images can look soft. And have you also shot the same shots with manual focus to check whether it's the lens or the lens/camera mounting. I once had both calibrated and it made a huge difference even to my other lenses which were not recalibrated. Now I have micro adjust and don't have to worry over that part.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

RobertZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
611 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 19, 2009 16:41 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I really should remove the filter, use a tripod, microadjust, etc. shouldn't I? I'm actually pretty lazy.

SALES FEEDBACK

RobertZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
611 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 19, 2009 16:53 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Jannie wrote in post #9045906 (external link)
Have you used the micro adjust and yes removed the filter and is it set on one shot focus without expanded center? Your photos are not downloading for me so I'm just going through my trouble shot list, and I know the angst while one is trying to be sure their lens and body are working together and sharp, also are you shooting at 100 ISO which will give the best clarity and that the histogram is enough to the right, underexposed images can look soft. And have you also shot the same shots with manual focus to check whether it's the lens or the lens/camera mounting. I once had both calibrated and it made a huge difference even to my other lenses which were not recalibrated. Now I have micro adjust and don't have to worry over that part.

Thanks for the tips. Will try. Its a very overcast day so I upped the ISO.

SALES FEEDBACK

sponsored links

1,339 views & 0 likes for this thread
Finally a 24-70 sharp at both ends. I think!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.