Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 20 Nov 2009 (Friday) 01:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MK II sports

RobertZ
611 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 20, 2009 01:29 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Lately I've been using my 5D MK II for sports over the 7D. The 7D has much faster FPS and better reach but I still prefer the end results of the 5D II. The cropability is fantastic and I find the AF system fine. Here's an example (I know, too saturated) of what I think is a significant crop at F4 using a 70-200 with 1.4x Kenko. Anyone else feel the 5D MK II has better end results over the 7D? I'm pretty new to shooting sports so I'm trying to learn what works. I keep reading that the 5D is a poor choice over even the 40D.

IMAGE: http://i47.tinypic.com/2j1tyts.jpg

IMAGE: http://i48.tinypic.com/otn7gi.jpg

5D MK II I Prime Trinity I Zoom Trinity
SALES FEEDBACK

sponsored links
sleeper_xti
61 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 20, 2009 11:51 |  #2

off topic, that red building is very distracting

Canon T1i; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

RobertZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
611 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 20, 2009 11:57 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

That was the first thing I noticed. It gives the image an even more saturated look.

SALES FEEDBACK

SnapLocally.com
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 20, 2009 11:57 |  #4

I'd say the end result partially depends on the AF capabilities of the camera, and a camera better suited for action will yield more suitable "end results".

www.SnapLocally.com (external link)

aebrown
Maybe the next victim
1,283 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 20, 2009 11:58 |  #5

I used my mark ii for sports when I had to, and could get decent results. However, I always kept saying "if only I would have had more fps, or better ai servo then I would have got that shot!"

so i got a 7d lol

-Aaron Brown :D
1D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 35L, 85L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 580 EX II
Where to goandWhat to do (external link) in the Pacific Northwest
My Flickr (external link)

RobertZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
611 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 20, 2009 12:21 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

aebrown wrote in post #9050801 (external link)
I used my mark ii for sports when I had to, and could get decent results. However, I always kept saying "if only I would have had more fps, or better ai servo then I would have got that shot!"

so i got a 7d lol

The FPS sucks on the 5DII for sure. I've been considering opting for the 1D3 over the 7D but think twice because of the increased ability to crop, 1.6x vs. 1.3x and the ability to swap batteries/charger. Something makes me believe I am doing something wrong with the conversion from the 7D's RAW files using DPP. There seems to be less sharpness and dynamic range than I'd expect. Any tips Aaron?

SALES FEEDBACK

H20boy
611 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 20, 2009 12:40 |  #7

When the kids are running around, you'll wish you had the 7d to track 'em. I was just telling someone earlier how I used the 5d for 7-yr old soccer this last weekend and it was a mess. All over the place. I didn't think the mkII had that much of an improved AF system, especially ai-servo.

Matt l My Galleries (external link)
5d2 l 1d3 l 24-70/2.8 l Σ 50/1.4 l 70-200/2.8 IS l Σ 120-300/2.8 l 135/2 l 15/2.8 FE l Tam 90mac

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 20, 2009 18:25 |  #8

What you are going to find is the 5DMkII will serve you fine with shots like these. There isn't that much movement. Certainly a 5D is going to give you better IQ. Even with the crop and the extension tube that is one sharp image. That's full frame goodness.

But as soon as you get any significantly fast subject movement is when you are going to get into trouble with the 5D Mkn AF speed. Anything faster than these little kids is going to cause you pain. I have never been much of a user of high FPS. On my 1DMKII I rarely turn it on high. Probably just reflects the sports I shoot. I know other sports shooters swear by it.

The other thing that can cause problems with the 5D is the slow shutter button lag. It is just to damn slow. But again, on kidlets, it may be good enough.

And, oh yeah, next time move that building before you shoot, will you:rolleyes:

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

chughey
75 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 20, 2009 18:51 |  #9

that crop example is nice quality.. Really puts into perspective how great a camera that is.

LSUConnMan
94 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 20, 2009 21:34 as a reply to  @ chughey's post |  #10

The 5Dii is a far better camera than I am a photographer. Over the past couple weeks, the consistent results the camera has continues to provide allow me to stand the claim I made when I bought it 6 months ago...while photographers in the 90th+ percentile MIGHT be able to justifiably complain about the 5d's performance for sports, it easily carries the rest of us struggling to be average.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i23.photobucket​.com …an/Portfolio/50​20fa86.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i23.photobucket​.com …an/Portfolio/29​95b7bc.jpg (external link)

http://i23.photobucket​.com …an/Portfolio/0b​62b73a.jpg (external link)

sponsored links

3,008 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MK II sports
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.