Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 21 Nov 2009 (Saturday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 15, 2018 13:48 as a reply to  @ post 18564255 |  #8776

Thank you :D

Sony Alpha A7III ~ Canon EOS M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS
Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~
Sigma MC-11 ~ Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 ~ Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links
yeamans17
558 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined May 2007

Feb 16, 2018 19:11 |  #8777

I've wanted to capture this shot for some time now, I trekked down to the city today to make it happen. Luckily I was setup and had my shot in before the rain became too intense.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4715/39596949944_4dec6a4900_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23k3​HFw  (external link) 3U1A7690 (external link) by Zach Yeamans (external link), on Flickr

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 17, 2018 04:24 |  #8778

Months ago I posted elsewhere and in this thread about suggestions for square filter setups. I was adding an additional new camera to my kit and wanted another set of filters for that camera (I often shoot with multiple cameras in the field). I did hours and hours of research and nearly settled with a very expensive NiSi kit.

Then, I went on holiday for a fortnight and remembered my habits of shooting; for me, a square filter setup is simply not feasible. Despite feeling a little "less professional", I've opted to continue with round screw-in filters on the basis that they setup much quicker in the field and will put up with a lot more abuse than a square setup. I rely on my gear to be durable, not fragile - and the conditions and habits in which I do photography requires quick setup and tear-down.

Anyway, I ordered a new 82mm (been using 77mm filters for a decade) Hoya CPL and settled on Firecrest's ND3.0, both in round filters. Have to say I'm well impressed with both, and they both may stay glued onto my TSE 24L II during those months in which the sun is up all day. Here's my first shot from this filter setup, a three minute exposure from yesterday:

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4606/38504290640_5830dde9f7_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21Eu​y91  (external link) Edinburgh - Newhaven Harbour (external link) by Kenny McCartney (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
5DSR | 5D II | 1N RS | TS-E 24L II | 85L II | 135L | 2X III

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,610 posts
Gallery: 465 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 17, 2018 04:36 |  #8779

ken2000ac wrote in post #18565726 (external link)
Months ago I posted elsewhere and in this thread about suggestions for square filter setups. I was adding an additional new camera to my kit and wanted another set of filters for that camera (I often shoot with multiple cameras in the field). I did hours and hours of research and nearly settled with a very expensive NiSi kit.

Then, I went on holiday for a fortnight and remembered my habits of shooting; for me, a square filter setup is simply not feasible. Despite feeling a little "less professional", I've opted to continue with round screw-in filters on the basis that they setup much quicker in the field and will put up with a lot more abuse than a square setup. I rely on my gear to be durable, not fragile - and the conditions and habits in which I do photography requires quick setup and tear-down.

Anyway, I ordered a new 82mm (been using 77mm filters for a decade) Hoya CPL and settled on Firecrest's ND3.0, both in round filters. Have to say I'm well impressed with both, and they both may stay glued onto my TSE 24L II during those months in which the sun is up all day. Here's my first shot from this filter setup, a three minute exposure from yesterday:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21Eu​y91  (external link) Edinburgh - Newhaven Harbour (external link) by Kenny McCartney (external link), on Flickr

Kenny, just wanted to say your SA and table mountain images are superb!

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | 15 | 21 | 28 | 55 | 85

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 17, 2018 05:05 as a reply to  @ ken2000ac's post |  #8780

Funny you say that because after using square I personally feel like I could never go back to circular filters. They may have a few additional steps to get them on compared to cicurlar, but they are a lot faster to get off if you need to refocus or recompose.

It's really about personal preference and as long as you get results you're happy with is what counts :D

Sony Alpha A7III ~ Canon EOS M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS
Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~
Sigma MC-11 ~ Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 ~ Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,610 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 17, 2018 05:36 |  #8781

I prefer square for the ease of slotting in and out, I’ve tried circular before but found it hard not to change the focus at times when putting on a strong ND. Also with wide angle lenses I found stacking screw on filters would vignette on certain lenses. Perhaps slim filters wouldn’t but I’m stuck in my ways now :-)

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 17, 2018 06:08 |  #8782

xpfloyd wrote in post #18565737 (external link)
Kenny, just wanted to say your SA and table mountain images are superb!

Many thanks. If I'm honest, SA is just ridiculously photogenic! :)

Dlee13 wrote in post #18565742 (external link)
Funny you say that because after using square I personally feel like I could never go back to circular filters. They may have a few additional steps to get them on compared to cicurlar, but they are a lot faster to get off if you need to refocus or recompose.

It's really about personal preference and as long as you get results you're happy with is what counts :D

Agree wholeheartedly with the last line. It does *feel* like I've chosen a lesser professional option, but at the end of the day it's not my day job after all. What sealed the decision was the following factors, from most important to least important:

1. Compact size and durability - I tend to stick round filters in my back packet when I'm out. I'm not flippant with my gear, but I don't want to babysit it. Especially when I travel - when I go abroad I take carry-on luggage only, always.

2. Refocusing or recomposing could be an issue with my old 5DII but I'm so impressed with high-ISO performance and Live View with the 5DSR it makes the point moot for me.

3. Cost - I wasn't really willing to spend the extra money to be perfectly honest!

xpfloyd wrote in post #18565744 (external link)
I prefer square for the ease of slotting in and out, I’ve tried circular before but found it hard not to change the focus at times when putting on a strong ND. Also with wide angle lenses I found stacking screw on filters would vignette on certain lenses. Perhaps slim filters wouldn’t but I’m stuck in my ways now :-)

Vignetting was a concern, especially as I've been using filters that have been far too small for ages (using step down rings from 82mm to 77mm). Shocking, I know. Thankfully, I'm not getting much vignetting at all with the two I've just purchased, even at full shift.

flickr (external link)

yeamans17
558 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined May 2007

Feb 17, 2018 22:57 as a reply to  @ ken2000ac's post |  #8783

I wish I could have made the circular filters work, I had built my kit around them but I couldn't filter stack at 17mm and I started having issues in misty conditions with the stacked filters not coming undone when wet on other lenses.

Been using circular for years but recently made the switch and couldn't be happier.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,610 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 18, 2018 02:59 |  #8784

ken2000ac wrote in post #18565758 (external link)
Many thanks. If I'm honest, SA is just ridiculously photogenic! :)

Agree wholeheartedly with the last line. It does *feel* like I've chosen a lesser professional option, but at the end of the day it's not my day job after all. What sealed the decision was the following factors, from most important to least important:

1. Compact size and durability - I tend to stick round filters in my back packet when I'm out. I'm not flippant with my gear, but I don't want to babysit it. Especially when I travel - when I go abroad I take carry-on luggage only, always.

2. Refocusing or recomposing could be an issue with my old 5DII but I'm so impressed with high-ISO performance and Live View with the 5DSR it makes the point moot for me.

3. Cost - I wasn't really willing to spend the extra money to be perfectly honest!

Vignetting was a concern, especially as I've been using filters that have been far too small for ages (using step down rings from 82mm to 77mm). Shocking, I know. Thankfully, I'm not getting much vignetting at all with the two I've just purchased, even at full shift.

thats interesting, I wonder if it’s due to the larger image circle on the TSE

LeeRatters
Goldmember
4,496 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 18, 2018 06:14 |  #8785

Interesting filter talk again.....

I sold my Lee 100mm (basic grad only) set up when I sold my Canon 17-40L back in..... 2013-14ish? I already had those cheap (Kood?) plastic holders so went back to using them as I was back to 28mm on the wide end & 58mm filter threads plus for how often I used them....

But. Now..

Now, I am getting back into things again. My biggest pain is having the CPL (and sometimes ND) before the grad holder so I am thinking of trying square solid ND's & a CPL mounted on the front <----- that seems to be where most of the expense is by the looks of things..!!

I'm currently pricing up options with Lee/Hitech & 85mm/100mm :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh, my widest currently is 28mm - I might, might swap out for the FE24-70mm at some point though but I certainly can't see myself going any wider than that again.

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,610 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by xpfloyd. (2 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2018 07:00 |  #8786

LeeRatters wrote in post #18566564 (external link)

I sold my Lee 100mm (basic grad only) set up when I sold my Canon 17-40L back in..... 2013-14ish? I already had those cheap (Kood?) plastic holders so went back to using them as I was back to 28mm on the wide end & 58mm filter threads plus for how often I used them....

But. Now..

Now, I am getting back into things again. My biggest pain is having the CPL (and sometimes ND) before the grad holder so I am thinking of trying square solid ND's & a CPL mounted on the front <----- that seems to be where most of the expense is by the looks of things..!!

I'm currently pricing up options with Lee/Hitech & 85mm/100mm :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh, my widest currently is 28mm - I might, might swap out for the FE24-70mm at some point though but I certainly can't see myself going any wider than that again.

Lee, check out the filter dude website for lee compatible rings and holders. I use the rings from them with my Lee kit and they are spot on. Much cheaper than the actual Lee versions. They also do coloured rubber caps so that you can leave the rings attached. They deliver to the U.K. too

Caps - http://www.thefilterdu​de.com/adaptercap/ (external link)

Wide angle rings - http://www.thefilterdu​de.com/wide-angle-adapter-ring/ (external link)

LeeRatters
Goldmember
4,496 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 18, 2018 07:07 |  #8787

xpfloyd wrote in post #18566581 (external link)
Lee, check out the filter dude website for lee compatible rings and holders. I use the rings from them with my Lee kit and they are spot on. Much cheaper than the actual Lee versions. They also do coloured rubber caps so that you can leave the rings attached. They deliver to the U.K. too

Caps - http://www.thefilterdu​de.com/adaptercap/ (external link)

Wide angle rings - http://www.thefilterdu​de.com/wide-angle-adapter-ring/ (external link)

Forgot about him. Not sure if 100mm is additional expense & a bit overkill though for 24/28mm...??

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 4 months ago by DaviSto.

Feb 18, 2018 08:36 |  #8788

NiSi approach gets you out of the cost of having a super-big CPL on the front of the whole shebang, as you have to have with Lee. Worth thinking about ... but the different systems all have their own particular pros and cons.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 18, 2018 09:56 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #8789

That's what I found so attractive about the system. I do appreciate your suggestion and nearly bought the NiSi kit. If I hadn't gone on holiday, I probably wouldn't have re-thought my real requirements.

flickr (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 18, 2018 12:38 |  #8790

The Wine Country Camera system has a built in CPL on the inside. It's not the cheapest option out there bit it works very well. The knob on the bottom is what turns the CPL. The system is good all the way to 17mm.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4609/38952667454_91975e5882_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/22m7​AWJ  (external link) Landscape Camera Ridiculousness (external link) by tltichy (external link), on Flickr

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links

2,108,611 views & 7,038 likes for this thread
Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.