Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Nov 2009 (Sunday) 01:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto 732 CY or 055cxpro4? I need advice.

petriej
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 22, 2009 01:04 |  #1

I've came so close to purchasing the 055cxpro4 so many times. I've compared all of the 190's, and 055's in the different flavors, and thought that I had finally settled on the 055cxpro4. It handles 17 lbs of gear, weighs in at 3.7lb, minimum height of 2.36 in, maximum height w/ column of 57.5 w/o column 47, and 21.5" closed w/o head.

Then I happened to be perusing Manfrotto's site and came across the 732CY. Although it only handles 7 lb, it is only 16" closed w/ head. They are also offering the M-Y kit which has a gear bag specifically designed to carry the pod and the rest of your gear. This is appealing to me for family vaca's - Vegas, NYC, Maui, Glacier Park, etc. We like to travel and take pictures that will make great memories. My wife actually grabs our T1i more than our P&S SD1000 which also leads me to believe that she would also use a smaller product more frequently.

I believe that the main tripod paradigm is that stability is everything. After all, regardless of what features a tripod may or may not have the goal is to take photographs that are clearer and sharper.

But what good is all of this if you don't take it with you because it is over two feet long and you have a multi mile hike through a rain forest. On one hand, I would have no reservations about setting a 100-400L/T1i on the 055, but that setup on the 732CY may make me queasy. But, carrying a separate bag for the tripod for a couple of miles is not something particularly appealing, nor can I see myself traipsing around Vegas with a 2 foot something tripod on my back.

I feel that I am somewhere around the prosumer level and really dig photography. I want to get into the thirty second to three minute exposures, but don't know if I need the full stability of the 055.

Pros:
- super stable
- great reviews here
- great features with horizontal column
Cons:
- larger
- will not take it everywhere that I go

732 cy
Pros:
- compact
- will take everywhere that I have my camera
- available with kit that totally hides the pod
- comes with head
Cons:
- less stability
- no horizontal column for macros

The price doesn't play a huge part to me. The M-Y kit bad and 055 would be comparable depending(largely) on which head you chose. I am more concerned with how much I will use it.

I enjoy taking pictures of landscapes, cityscapes, and water features. I am not as much into portraits as I am other things. I believe that portraits may be harder for me.

Should I just man up, quite whining, leave the skirt and purse at home and get the 055, or go with something smaller that I will take everywhere I go?

There have been so many times when someone was in the same boat and had the extra information to push me over the fence.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

J

Canon 5DMK4 | Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Canon ELF SD1000 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 II | Canon EF 50mm 1:4 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EXII | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Manfrotto 488RC4 | PW MiniTT1 | PW FlexTT5 | Black Rapid Sport

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 22, 2009 06:11 |  #2

My choice is the 055 if these were the only tripods on my shopping list. I'd not hesitate for a split second.

The M-Y range is aimed at first timers, the 055 has stood the test of time and is a reasonable compromise between weight, stability and price. The Gitzo, commonly considered to be a better tripod, is "more expensive" shall we say and leave it at that.

It is normally reckoned to be impossible to get light weight, low cost and high stability in one 'pod. Two out of the three is achievable. Which two you choose is down to you and your bank balance.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Nov 22, 2009 08:44 |  #3

petriej wrote in post #9059829 (external link)
....finally settled on the 055cxpro4. It handles 17 lbs of gear, weighs in at 3.7lb....

Then I happened to be perusing Manfrotto's site and came across the 732CY. Although it only handles 7 lb....

The weight capacity specification for tripods means very little except that the tripod won't collapse with that load mounted on it. The weight capacity spec says absolutely nothing about the rigidity of a tripod and/or tripod head, and rigidity is the important factor in a tripod rig.

My suggestion - get yourself to a store where you can test a variety of tripods and heads before making a decision when you need something special.

Remember that there are three basic things people look for in a tripod: small size, rigidity, and low price. You can find tripods that meet two of the three parameters, but never all three.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

foto_cbs
45 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 22, 2009 15:53 |  #4

In my opinion the 732 CY is an expensive and barely adequate tripod for a DSLR with a telephoto lens. It's probably better suited for compact cameras.

I don't think the "I'll carry it anywhere" argument can hold water if your images will come out soft.
I for one, would rather resort to a bean bag than a flimsy tripod. The fact that it cost a lot of money makes this logic even more compelling.

I'd echo what Skip said about trying out a variety of tripods before making up your mind.
Also I'd like to give you a personal recommendation: Feisol CT-3401 (which is my most used tripod).
It weighs a bit more than 732CY (1.19kg vs 0.95kg) and can hold even my 500/4 L with decent results. I use it most often with my 100-400L with excellent stability and great pleasure.
This for me is a tripod worth buying, worth using and worth carrying everywhere.

I'm sure there are a lot of other good tripods out there that would please you.
Good luck with your choice.

- Stefan

Mashimaro
818 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 23, 2009 02:37 as a reply to  @ foto_cbs's post |  #5

i was in your shoes not long ago in regards to tripod shopping as well. i had a 190 but found it was too short without raising the column.

i was thinking of the 055 and felt it was too heavy. i started to look at the 055CX instead but upon further research, i ended up with a Gitzo GT2541.

it costs considerably more than the 055CX, but i felt that i liked the twist locks much more over the flip locks. i also played with a friends GT2530 and was happy with how stable it was with my lenses (not very heavy except for my 24-70).

in the end, i felt that i should spend the money on a 'very nice' tripod and never regret it nor feel the need to upgrad it in the future.

i'm very happy with my Gitzo, but it's up to you if you want to spend that much as well :) i'll write a review with pics of my tripod soon.

Canon 5D4 / Sony A7R2 / Leica M240

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 23, 2009 04:22 |  #6

I have two issues with the Gitzo. The first is the twist lock that everyone else loves. I dislike them. The second is the rather old fashioned styling and the painted finish.

I use a Manfrotto 055PROB and I am the first to admit that Manfrotto are not the best tripods in the world, but they do seem to better understand that style plays a part in the choices we make.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

petriej
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 23, 2009 10:43 |  #7

foto_cbs wrote in post #9062796 (external link)
I don't think the "I'll carry it anywhere" argument can hold water if your images will come out soft.

This was exactly my reservation with the 732.

Thank you for your recommendation on the Feisol. That is one brand that I haven't considered. Do you use the vertical column as well?

Canon 5DMK4 | Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Canon ELF SD1000 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 II | Canon EF 50mm 1:4 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EXII | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Manfrotto 488RC4 | PW MiniTT1 | PW FlexTT5 | Black Rapid Sport

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Nov 23, 2009 10:51 |  #8

petriej wrote in post #9067209 (external link)
Do you use the vertical column as well?

You never want to use a tripod which must have the center column extended to make it hold the camera at a useful height. Extending the center column more than just a little bit greatly reduces the stability of almost any tripod.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

petriej
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 23, 2009 10:53 |  #9

Mashimaro wrote in post #9065822 (external link)
i was in your shoes not long ago in regards to tripod shopping as well.

i was thinking of the 055 and felt it was too heavy. i started to look at the 055CX instead but upon further research, i ended up with a Gitzo GT2541.

I think that the 055 is a great looking tripod, and has great functionality. Although I do find it a but quite more bulky and obtrusive than desired.

I will also research the Gitzo and try to find a local dealer.

flickerpics
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 03, 2014 10:26 as a reply to  @ petriej's post |  #10

I realise that this is an old post but I expect people will still be reading it when they are searching the internet for info about the Manfrotto 732CY.
I actually own this piece of kit so I think I'm qualified to offer a first hand opinion and give a better balanced view about it.
Let me start by saying that I DON'T disagree with any of the comments on here regarding the desire for maximum stability and rigidity. Nobody wants a tripod to quiver let alone collapse, so stability is paramount. If it ain't going to give you a stable shot then there's little point in using it. When weight and bulk aren't an issue, I use a Vanguard Alta Pro 236AT. Its solid, weighty and does all I need, but I don't want to put it in my luggage when I fly and I don't want to go climbing mountains with it on my back.
At some point, we all come to this dilemma and we all search for the holy grail of weight & size versus stability versus cost. The choices in this field are fairly limited unless you are on a very big budget and amongst the limited choices you will find the Manfrotto 732CY.
Now make no mistake, this is a spindly little pod and you wouldn't want a very strong wind to catch it or a dog to run into it but otherwise, it does the job just fine. Get a decent quality compact ball head and it will be your best friend. I totally trust it with my D600 and my Nikkor 14-24 2.8 when I'm out on a hike. I carry a small drawstring bag in my backpack and fill it with something heavy if I need to add support (this can be attached through the holes in the bottom of the centre column hidden by the rubber bung). Once weighted down, it becomes very respectable, even in a bit of a wind. I don't think I would recommend walking off and leaving it with a couple of grands worth of camera attached but then I'm always stood by it in these circumstances.
On forum sites, when a question gets asked about a comparison between produsts, you can always bet that most people posting a reply will promote the virtues of the most expensive option. In most cases, they will be right but often they are just playing safe or trying to imply that they are so discerning that they wouldn't touch anything cheaper. There seems to be an element who believe that by owning or promoting only the most expensive equipment (whether its cameras or golf clubs), they will somehow be seen to be better at their craft. I've never known a rubbish golfer yet who played any better with expensive clubs and the same goes for photography. I have very little doubt that I would rather have Gitzo Traveler than the 732CY but the questions comes down to "do I need the Gitzo? and does the Manfrotto do the job?" and the answers are, "no I don't and yes it does".
Increasing budgets and increasing design features / use of materials are always raising the bar with camera gear. It would be great to have the best of everything but that wouldn't be realistic. Tripods are becoming so over engineered and everybody is demanding something so far beyond what they really need. Not so long ago, our forefathers were happily balancing their pride and joy on a few sticks of cane and taking fabulous pictures. We now have cast aluminium, carbon fibre and fancy articulated centre columns and they come built to bear the weight of of a small car. All this is very nice but do you need it? and more importantly, do you want to carry it for miles on your back when so much less will do?
I'm very happy with my Manfrotto 732CY. It is small enough and light enough for me and I'm confident enough in myself and my photography not to have to feel I need to impress with the biggest or most expensive equipment. As a little aside, this tripod gets used more often than any of my others even when I'm at home, simply because its so light and convenient.
Make your own mind up but unless you are going to be using this in very demanding circumstances or you're just trying to impress, then this could be all you need.

Hope that helps..... Paul.

sponsored links

10,588 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manfrotto 732 CY or 055cxpro4? I need advice.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.