Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Nov 2009 (Monday) 22:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got my 7D

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 23, 2009 22:26 |  #1

Went to Star Photo today and low and behold...they had a 7D, their first one. They didnt even get to play with it! So I bought it. Kinda a cool feeling knowing you got the first one from a store!!

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

sponsored links
e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 23, 2009 22:31 |  #2

woo hoo

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

stagi
54 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 24, 2009 03:31 as a reply to  @ e02937's post |  #3

Awesome, congrats!

Mark Stagi
http://www.wedclix.com (external link) | Twitter: http://www.twitter.com​/markstagi (external link)
Digital Photography Tips and Inspiration (external link)
Portrait Photography iPhone app (external link) & iPad app (external link)

vpnd
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 24, 2009 07:29 |  #4

new toys are so fun

Canon "Snappy".... Thanks Mom and Dad!
"I don't like to play dress up, or pet my gear. I like to shoot stuff and then print it and put it on my wall."

HenryLee
276 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 24, 2009 07:31 |  #5

Congratz~

5D Mark II / 24-105mm L / 430EX II
Canon Rebel K2 / 50mm 1.8 / 35-80mm
Canon Powershot SD750 / FujiFilm Instax Mini 7S (polaroid)
Previous: 60D, 7D, 50D, 40D, XSI, XS, Rebel X (film), 17-40mm L, 15-85mm, 55-250mm, Tamron 17-50mm, Sigma 17-70mm, 28-135mm, 17-85mm, 18-55mm, 430EX

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 24, 2009 09:50 |  #6

its a babe

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 24, 2009 10:07 |  #7

So with your experience with a 50D do you find it a massive step? Or is it a lateral move? Some say its very similar in IQ.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

TSY87
637 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 24, 2009 10:10 as a reply to  @ AlanU's post |  #8

to be honest... one of the biggest reasons i want the 7D over the 50D is the grip they have for the 7D has the back button AF. haha pretty dumb yes, but i hate having to use the * button when i have a perfectly good AF button on the body.

Oh yeah, and the AF system/100% viewfinder would be nice too!

I couldn't care less about the movie mode.

D700 Gripped, Nikkor 20 2.8D, Sigma 50 1.4, Rokinon 85 1.4, Nikkor 105 2.8 Micro VR, Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR2, SB-900
Myflickr (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 24, 2009 12:07 |  #9

AlanU wrote in post #9073117 (external link)
So with your experience with a 50D do you find it a massive step? Or is it a lateral move? Some say its very similar in IQ.

No, IMO it's not a "massive" step in terms of IQ.

It's also not really lateral... More like a modest number of incremental steps in IQ, plus other feature changes, some of which come at a "price" (not just the extra $ the camera costs).

15MP vs 18MP is no big deal. Neither camera delivers quite as much fine detail as a full frame camera serving up 21MP can do. 18MP does fill up memory cards and hard drives a bit faster than 15MP! One reason I very seldom use 8fps (or even 6.4fps), besides not enjoying sitting at my computer editing 4X as many images as usual!

Even with dual processors, I can see the image review/histogram on my 50D more quickly than on 7D. The latter just seems to take longer stowing away the images on the memory card. I leave auto review "off" on my cameras, simply call up and check an occasional image manually when a break in the shooting allows. With 7D, I have to wait one or two seconds to see the last image taken. With 50D and 5D MkII it's more instantaneous. I'm not sure why this is... The cameras are all configured the same way in most respects (and I'm seeing exactly the same thing with two 7Ds, as compared to three 50Ds and one 5D MkII).

I got my 7Ds as better "companions" to 5D MkII. They share batteries and have most controls in the same places (7D has a few additional controls, of course).

50D and 5D MkII are not quite as compatible in control layout. For example, the image playback button on one is the same place as the image delete button on the other! (D'oh!)

Do note though, that once you dig into the menus and the actual functionality of the cameras, 50D and 5D MkII are more similar, than are the 7D and 5D MkII.

Another key thing I was looking for was additional high ISO performance, and 7D seems to be about one stop better than 50D. (Note: I feel 50D and 40D were roughly equal, but 50D offers more resolution than 40D... Both 40D and 50D were a good half to full stop "better" than 30D, IMO.)

For me, this is the difference between usable ISO 1600 (40/50D) and usable ISO 3200 (7D). 5D MkII gives me usable ISO 6400, but is a much "slower" camera, so is less useful for sports/action shooting. 7D high ISO capability is still up in the air, somewhat... Updates to Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom2 have only just come out in "beta" (Release Candidates at Adobe Labs: ACR 5.6 and LR2 2.6), finally tweaked for use with 7D and some other recently introduced models. We'll see... but early results are encouraging.

7D's high ISO noise seems a little more random than 50D's, and thus a little less objectionable than noise from the earlier cameras. But it will still serve up plenty of noise at really high ISOs. I've not experimented a lot with third party NR softwares... Not sure they are fully up to spec with the camera yet anyway (see notes above regarding ACR and Lightroom2, specifically).

The 7D viewfinder and auto focusing are nicely upgraded (but, again, with at a "price"... see below). More info, 100% VF, and the electronic/configurabl​e focus screen display work out well for me. I use a grid screen in my cameras. But, someone wanting to work with a lot of manual focus lenses might not like the 7D, since you can't switch it's screen out to a more manual-focus-friendly screen.

So far, 7D AF tracking in AI Servo seems excellent. It should be, with dual processors and more AF points (19, as compared to 9 in the 50D and 5D MkII, although the latter also has 6 "hidden" assist points). This is another important feature that was important to me, although I learned to use 50D with a high degree of accuracy and excellent speed, and I don't really see a whole lot of improvement with 7D, in these respects, using it in a similar manner.

7D does allow for a number of focus configurations, including: single point/manually selected, single point w/auto expansion assist points, focus zones/auto, all points/auto, and high precision (haven't really worked with this last one yet, Canon actually calls it "spot" focus, but I think that's confusing with spot metering, and "precision focus" is a better way to describe how it's intended to be used, IMO).

50D essentially has two of these: single point/manually selected and all points/auto.

5D MkII has three: single point/manually selected, single point w/auto expansion assist points, and all points/auto.

Cool as all the 7D AF modes sound, I really think all these configurations may be more than some people will really need or actually use. They add complexity and steepen the learning curve.

I suspect the 7D's 19 point AF is essentially a scaled down version of the 45 point system of the 1-series cameras (which are actually 19 cross-type, plus 26 secondary type sensors). But 7D uses different configuration options than the 1-series. (I haven't looked closely at 1D MkIV, yet, though.)

With 7D in AI Servo, there's no visual confirmation that AF is working, unless the lens is racked way out of focus and you see it snap into focus. The other cameras briefly flash the selected AF point(s) red. This means you really have to trust the 7D is doing it's job focusing! And/or, if using the "thumb focusing" technique like I do, really trust that you remembered to press the button to activate focus! This is just the nature of the configurable focus screen. There's simply no way to provide the same type of AF activity confirmation as in the other cameras with their simpler screens.

There is a way to get a "full screen" red flash confirmation in One Shot mode. But it's quite distracting (think "fireworks" if shooting in lower light). And, that red flash is also used to alert you of an AF error, for example that AF is turned off on the lens. So, it's a bit confusing... Whether the overall red flash is confirming focus lock or if it's telling you something is wrong.

In One Shot, you've still also got the green LED and audible "beep" focus confirmations available, same as the other cameras.

The metering system of the 7D is also new. It's 63 zone, compared to the 35 zone on 50D (and 5D MKII). I think this is another thing "trickled down" from the 1-series cameras. The 7D enjoys the finest spot meter of any current Canon model (2.3%)... Even finer than the new 1D MkIV (3.4% if memory serves). And metering is the iFCL (?) type, that's somehow more responsive to different colors. I haven't really given it a big workout yet, but it seems very good so far. Evaluative seems to be better able to handle some tricky backlit situations, than I've seen with the other cameras.

One thing 7D lacks, that I wish it had, is a means of linking the spot metering sample area to the active AF point (i.e., other than just the center area). The 45 point cameras can do this, albeit only with a limited number of points (13, if memory serves). That was a very handy feature I used a lot on my EOS-3 film cameras. Only the 1-series models can do this now. All other models, spot metering is only at the center of the screen. Now, evaluative metering in all the cameras does give some extra emphasis to area around the active AF point.

The 7D is also noticeably heavier than the 50D. I attribute a lot of this to the 100% viewfinder, but that's just my guess. 7D is even a few grams heavier than the 5D MkII. I can tell you it makes for sorer arms after a long day's shoot!

I haven't used wireless flash control at all. Doubt I ever will, since I have ST-E2 that give more complete control over off-camera flashes. Also, the wireless "communication" is done with a series of flashes from the camera's built-in flash, which appears to lead to a "wait" mode pretty quickly, apparently to prevent overheating the flash tube.

I also don't have much use for video in an SLR. Haven't even tried it out on any of my video-capable cameras yet. If/when I need to shoot video, I'll probably just buy a video camera.

Other, rather incremental stuff:

The LCD seems slightly brighter due to new design, it's just a little easier to read out in daylight.

Haven't used the built-in level yet. I just haven't had any architectural shoots recently (and might be more inclined to use 5D MkII for that, anyway). This is one place I think it would be handy, although my tripod heads have bubble levels and I've got one of those that fits into the hot shoe of the camera.

I like the new Q button for access to the Quick Menu... Which is handy to use when you need to change settings in low light situations. The 50D and 5D MkII both have the same Quick Menu... They just lack the Q button to so directly access it.

Oh... and regarding the BG-E7 with the AF-On button (and the same on the 5D MkII's batery grip).... I thought I need the AF-On button too (griped a lot that the BG-E2N didn't have it!). But I've actually found it more convenient to still using the * button for focusing. It's larger, more prominent and better located for me. (Interestingly, on 7D swapping the primary functions of the AF-On and * buttons doesn't swap their secondary functions changing magnification of image reviews, the way it does on the other cameras.)

I am not pooh poohing the 7D in any way. It's a great camera and I really think it's about damn time Canon built a more pro-oriented 1.6X cropper. I'd call the 7D a "1D MkIV Lite".

I just think the 7D's feature set might be a bit more than or different from what's really needed by a lot of users, who are always tempted to lay out extra money for the "latest and greatest". 50D is still a really great camera, and might be an better choice for some folks.

So, good as the 7D is I would strongly advise anyone considering it go handle it and 50D in a store, and consider carefully if you really need it's more specialized (sports, birds in flight, other action) features, or if the $500 cheaper 50D might actually be a better choice.

I'm betting we'll see a 60D next Spring, too. That will likely be an update of the 50D, almost certainly with video added, but possibly sharing the 7D's sensor. Of course, Canon also might deviate from the 18 month update schedule of the xxD line, since they've just added the 7D to the line-up.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

scpictaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 24, 2009 20:22 as a reply to  @ amfoto1's post |  #10

Some of the key reasons I did it was;
1. Wireless flash control
2. Better AF
3. *FPS, a little faster than the 50D
4. Weather and dust sealed
5. 16 steps of Exposure comp. for HDR images
6. 1080 Video, thought it would be nice when we have a child to rip some video while shooting stills
7. Dual Digic 4 processors
8. More comfortable.

My ultimate set up is the 7D, paired with a 5DmII, with one more lens, a 100-400L

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 24, 2009 22:18 |  #11

Mr. Myers, cool first name..by the way :)

Thank you for taking the time writing your experiences between the two.

I certainly do appreciate the wonderful info.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links

1,983 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got my 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.