Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 Nov 2009 (Tuesday) 13:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who here runs a photo booth at their weddings?

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 27, 2009 14:23 |  #61

bigrob wrote in post #9091455 (external link)
Can you please explain a bit more how you set this up?

It sounds like a great idea & I'd like to try it.

Thanks

I posted a thread here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=470834

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

sponsored links
bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 28, 2009 04:16 |  #62

Thanks Hoff

ETERNAL
272 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 28, 2009 04:21 |  #63

I was at a wedding a few weeks ago. They made a home made booth (black sheets around a PVC frame). They have a 50D hooked up remotely to a computer with flash and all. The laptop had a program and you pressed F4 (all other keys covered). The screen counted down from 5-0 and it took a picture. It took 5 pictures, then showed you the previews and said thanks for coming to our wedding.
The couple then uploaded the pictures to snapfish and we can now purchase pictures of ourselves or the other guests. Its so funny the pictures people took of themselves!!!

Canon 7D...28-135mm IS...70-300mm...and a desire for a lot more...with a wallet that does not fit that desire...

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 09, 2009 15:52 |  #64

Just a quick question i had about this. If you had a person running the "photo booth", would you find it tacky to have a tip jar? I think it might, but wanted to see your ideas.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 09, 2009 15:53 |  #65

Tacky.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 09, 2009 15:54 |  #66

Hella tacky.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 09, 2009 19:40 |  #67

Thanks guys, that is what i thought.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 09, 2009 20:39 |  #68

"Will work for food" has a certain ring to it, though. :)

This space for rent.

DizzyV6P
354 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 09, 2009 23:24 |  #69

I've already seen this at 2 weddings. This company set-up a custom-made collapsable booth and has an attendant manning it. The guests go crazy in the thing. You mix a big party/wedding, lots of drunk guests and you get a huge hit and the B/G get tons of funny pictures. My dj partner that just got married had one and got over 500 photos on a CD. They were charge around $1200 for four hours of "work." Hmm.....tempting business model.

Canon 40D : Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 : Canon EF 70-200 f/4L : Canon EF 50 f/1.8 : Canon EF 85 f/1.8 : Canon Speedlite 580EX : Adorama Flashpoint Grip : Gary Fong Whaletail : Flashzebra Pixel (CP-E4 Clone)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 10, 2009 14:53 |  #70

mattograph wrote in post #9086088 (external link)
If one of your perspective clients asked you if you do photo booths, would you look them in the eye and tell them, "No. I think its a gimmick. I would rather be known for my superior images."

I doubt it. Because here's the real truth. There are probably 25 or 50 guys in your market that take images as good or better than yours. And if they offer the client more value, or more importantly WHAT THEY WANT, they will get the job.

I wish I had more competition like you.

Well, I'm coming to this discussion about five pages after it began.

I don't do photobooths and have no plans for one as they don't fit into my marketing plan. My style of photography can be described as classical and timeless. My clients lean towards the sophisticated and traditional. There's nothing about a photobooth that fits this picture. I met with a prospect last night who made it a point to tell me that she hates selective color and dismisses it as something gimmicky. I agree, of course, it's just nice to hear clients say it. Well, if she thinks selective color is gimmicky, what must she think of a photobooth? Or even a professional photographer who offers one?

So, Mattograph, it's really about knowing your target customer. I don't feel that there are 25-50 guys with images just like mine. I work very hard to create a distinctive style and look and it regularly attracts a very specific clientele. That client has no interest in a photobooth. If yours or others do, great, if that's the client you wish to pursue.

I can only suggest more fully understanding the wedding photography marketplace as something broader and more complex. There are a lot of layers and segments. For me, just the availability of a photobooth would harm my credibility with my target client.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 10, 2009 15:38 as a reply to  @ Peacefield's post |  #71

Well said, Peacefield.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 10, 2009 16:01 |  #72

Peacefield wrote in post #9172374 (external link)
Well, I'm coming to this discussion about five pages after it began.

I don't do photobooths and have no plans for one as they don't fit into my marketing plan. My style of photography can be described as classical and timeless. My clients lean towards the sophisticated and traditional. There's nothing about a photobooth that fits this picture. I met with a prospect last night who made it a point to tell me that she hates selective color and dismisses it as something gimmicky. I agree, of course, it's just nice to hear clients say it. Well, if she thinks selective color is gimmicky, what must she think of a photobooth? Or even a professional photographer who offers one?

So, Mattograph, it's really about knowing your target customer. I don't feel that there are 25-50 guys with images just like mine. I work very hard to create a distinctive style and look and it regularly attracts a very specific clientele. That client has no interest in a photobooth. If yours or others do, great, if that's the client you wish to pursue.

I can only suggest more fully understanding the wedding photography marketplace as something broader and more complex. There are a lot of layers and segments. For me, just the availability of a photobooth would harm my credibility with my target client.

Aren't you the same person that said you "keep an eye on Craigs list for opportunities"

That seems kinda at odds with the clientele you say your serving.

BTW you do realize that whilst your dismissing selective color you have one in your online gallery don't you?

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

tsw910
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 10, 2009 16:03 |  #73

never knew a photobooth will end one's career as a wedding photographer ..

Scuba Tom
http://tomwangphotogra​phy.com (external link)NYC Wedding Photographer (external link)http://www.tomwangphot​ography.com/ (external link)

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 10, 2009 16:05 |  #74

Photo booths arent for everyone but some of the opinions that are being voiced here are with little or no knowledge about how they can be done well and how it can be a business advantage, each to their own though of course.

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 10, 2009 16:32 |  #75

The upside to a booth with a tip jar is that you'd only have to pay the attendant waitress wages. In the US, that's $2.13 an hour. :D

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

46,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who here runs a photo booth at their weddings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.